Electric Fan still won't work - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #21
Edm Rex

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Robbie View Post
I'm trying to figure out why my fan won't turn on. I have a 01 325 w manual and it just has one electric fan. I have 12V to the big plug all the time, but the fan never turns on... I think it is the fan or rather the integrated speed control moudle on it, but I don't want to make a $300 guess. If I unplug the sensor in the lower rad hose -still nothing. Any ideas? Is the little box in my picture the control module?
I am in the same boat
Edm Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #22
Monte330i

My Ride: 01 330i
The little box contains an electronic air sniffer that detects "bad" air and diverts your ac to recirculate insted of using outside air if its tripped. I just looked it up the other day because my fan wasn't working. My problem was a crappy aluminium housed thermostat that died partially closed. My lower hose was cold after the temp started to rise. The coolant in my rad was cold too so the fan had no reason to kick on. I replaced the thermo and im all good now. Your electric fan has a fat "spoke" in front of the fan blades (between the engine and the fan) There is a black bok that sits in a cutout on that fat spoke that contains the inner workings of the fan. I would assume if you could splice into the 2 wires that run from that box to the center motor and supply 12v it would kick on. Always buy the good stuff they recommend on here. Mango, Dmax, Jake and others are still shaking their heads at me I'm sure. I have learned my lesson though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Monte330i; 05-19-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Monte330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #23
Edm Rex

just put in a new fan. Still does not power on
Old 05-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #24
George Type-S

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
When does your car over heat?

Mine over heats ONLY in traffic (stop and go), if I park it and put it in "P" it won't over heat and if I'm driving it won't over heat either.

However, my fan does not come on, I checked the fuse (#37 in the glove box) and it's ok.
George Type-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #25
Edm Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Type-S View Post
When does your car over heat?

Mine over heats ONLY in traffic (stop and go), if I park it and put it in "P" it won't over heat and if I'm driving it won't over heat either.

However, my fan does not come on, I checked the fuse (#37 in the glove box) and it's ok.
it only overheats in traffic not on highway
Old 05-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #26
Edm Rex

I tested the fan by shorting it and connecting it the battery. It spins freely. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #27
lszlszx

My Ride: Z3, V50, 1.8T
It must be the final stage control unit.
This is from a bavauto article:

"Unlike the older BMW models (most models up through 1999), the auxiliary cooling fan on the later models is not just controlled by a coolant temperature switch and the A/C activation button. These later models are fully modulated and controlled via the ECU (Engine Control Unit). There is a control module (final stage unit) mounted to the fan housing and this is driven by input from the ECU.

The fan does have a self-test mode. When the engine is first started, the fan should run at about 20% power for a short period. If this does not happen, itís likely that either the fan motor is faulty, the final stage control unit is faulty or the 50-amp fuse for the fan is blown."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Would the codes indicate if it's the carburator?"
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #28
Rotten Robbie

My Ride: 01 325i
Hmm, I just replaced my fan with a brand new Bosch OEM fan from Pellican. My car just has one fan behind the radiator on my 01 325i. The fuse is good, but it doesn't seem to come on at start up, or with the A/C on, or when I unplug the sensor in the lower rad hose. So what does that leave me? The ECU itself, or the wire from the ECU to the fan (?) -Assuming my brand new fan works that is...
I guess my next step is to bite the bullet, or bill, and take it to a Bimmer shop that can tell the ECU to turn the fan on with a diagnostic scanner capable of doing so. (?)
Rotten Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #29
lszlszx

Are you sure manuals don't have the final stage control unit?

Old 05-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #30
Rotten Robbie

Yes, my car is a manual, and the final stage control module is integrated to the new fan. I hope it is working. I live in Oregon, and don't really need a fan too much up here apparently because the gauge never rises unless I get in stop n go traffic for 20 min. or so. I guess I'll just let it idle in the driveway and see if it comes on or not...
Old 05-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #31
lszlszx

I see, does the fan come on with the AC?

What I would do is to run a wire from the fan to the cabin temporarily, with a switch, to be able to turn on the fan at will, in case of being stuck in traffic - until the car is fixed.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #32
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I found this thread, that may be something to check. Start around post #25:
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...817&highlight=
I don't think it could be the final stage control module, if it has happened with your old fan, and now your new one, right?
If that is the case, it has to be a wiring issue, the 50 amp fuse, or the DME.
One other thing you could try is to completely replace the 50 amp fuse. I have seen those fuses fail, even though they look OK. It is not a 100% certainty that the fuse is fine if you see the wire inside. It could still be bad. So, buy a new 50 amp fuse, and replace it. Also, check the wire mentioned in the thread I posted.

EDIT: so many people have jumped into this thread, I can't keep up with who has what problem. Why did you install a new fan? Did your old one stop working? Have you replaced your thermostat? If so, what brand did you use? If it was a non OEM one like a Febi or FAE, then you can not safely assume the thermostat is OK.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 05-24-2013 at 12:21 AM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #33
Rotten Robbie

Oh yea, I read that thread too, but thank you!
What I keep hearing in the replies from people who really know are some trues, that there is no relay for the cooling fan, at least in my car, an 01 manual 325i.
Probably because it always has 12V to the module and the ECU sends a pulse width modulated signal thur that 3rd little wire that is in the plug to the fan, and that signal tells the fan what rpm to turn.
-Does that sound correct?
That kinda explains why some cars have failed to have the fan on all of the time, or at least until the battery is dead.
I've also head that turning on the A/C doesn't necessarily mean the fan turns on with it, and then something else was that if I unplug the CTS in the lower rad hose -that will turn the fan on, but it dosen't on my car...
I have 12V at the plug, and a new fan, but not sure if I fixed it yet. I should just let it idle at home and see if it comes on, but I chose to ride my bicycle today.
Can I ask anyone with a similar car, how far does the gauge go past center before your fan comes on? And can you hear it in the car?

I saw on one thread where someone posted what the signals were from the ECU to the fan.
I bet with an oscilloscope one could monitor the 3rd little wire and see if the ECU signal is getting to the fan.
If my fan doesn't come on I think I'll take it to my local mom & pop bimmer shop and give them all my money...
-Unless I can get my hands on a scanner that can tell the ECU to turn on the fan, and if it doesn't, I guess check the continuity of the little wire between the fan plug and ECU (?)
My cheap Craftsman scanner can't do it, but can an expensive Craftsman scanner even do it? Or is it some BMW only thing?

If it wasn't complicated it wouldn't be any fun right (?)

Last edited by Rotten Robbie; 05-24-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #34
Edm Rex

I am getting a good ground to the fan plug along with good power of +12v. Where does this leave me? Only thing that could be bad is the ecu?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #35
Rotten Robbie

Well I think there are a couple other things to consider before you replace the ecu. Are you sure your fan/module are ok? Is the little wire ok, and is it getting a signal from the ecu?
I replaced my fan, and don't know if it ever comes on or not, so I may be in the same situation.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #36
Edm Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Robbie View Post
Well I think there are a couple other things to consider before you replace the ecu. Are you sure your fan/module are ok? Is the little wire ok, and is it getting a signal from the ecu?
I replaced my fan, and don't know if it ever comes on or not, so I may be in the same situation.
How do I determine if the little wire that connects to the plug is okay? Just check for continuity?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #37
Rotten Robbie

Yes, and I haven't done that yet, not even sure where the ECU is actually...
Or, I could just take it to a shop that has a scanner capable of telling the ECU to turn the fan on, and if it does there is no problem, but if it doesn't then ohm out the wire.
I think the failures are usually the speed control module on the fan itself from what most people have posted.