E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DAILY UPDATES

6M views 45K replies 4K participants last post by  das_autobahn 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the daily update thread! Post any mods, repairs, whatever you have done to your E46!

Today I

Debadge the trunk lid (roundel still intact)
Added black grills
Yellow fogs
Clear front reflectors (PITA!!!)
6K D2S bulbs

See less See more
#20,645 ·
Came across this on google... What is this hose from the air duct? View attachment 515695

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
It looks to me like they might have some sort of FI setup that is being oil-cooled, so they're stealing oil from the oil filter housing and routing it through the air ducting to be cooled.

That's a very messy setup they have. Not very well thought out at all. Also, Look at all the debris in the intake cone :rofl:

#20,647 ·
Came across this on google... What is this hose from the air duct? View attachment 515695

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Why the hell did they cut on the cabin filter housing? They could have routed those cables down the brace for a cleaner look, the air filter looks like crap and it's missing the fuel rail beauty cover. I'm guessing it has 19" wheels, the brightest angel eyes and darkest window tint known to man.

#20,648 ·
Why the hell did they cut on the cabin filter housing? They could have routed those cables down the brace for a cleaner look, the air filter looks like crap and it's missing the fuel rail beauty cover. I'm guessing it has 19" wheels, the brightest angel eyes and darkest window tint known to man.
:rofl: I didn't even see that. So now every time it rains, the engine gets soaked. Does he just not plan on ever driving it in the rain? :loco:

#20,653 ·
That is your opinion I guess, the weight thing is so minor its not really even worth bringing up but I can see how the older generation might not like the look of 19s.
No. That's pretty much the opinion of every car manufacturer, car enthusiast, and respected race team. Weight kills performance.

Also let me do a little pre-emptive strike. I know someone is going to say WELL DA CSL USES 19S.

Yeah. The CSL 19s are $5,000. The 19 reps of reps you have in mind aren't CSL 19s. Just cause they happen to be the same size doesn't put them in the same category.

If you have an E46 for a cruiser, by all means put 19s if you want. But if you are a performance-minded E46 owner, beware 19s come with a heavy performance penalty. Braking, acceleration, handling, response will all be affected

#20,654 ·
Well that is the thing, we don't have an exact 19" wheel in particular we are talking about with weight etc. So there's not really an arguement here but you can't deny a wider tire being better for handling. I'm sure you'll bring it up so ill save you the trouble that the thinner sidewall will hurt some handling aspects. I'm sure its not too hard to find a 19" wheel setup lighter than these 17" m68s and 245/40/17s if not pretty damn close.

#20,655 ·
That is your opinion I guess, the weight thing is so minor its not really even worth bringing up but I can see how the older generation might not like the look of 19s.
It's all about finding the balance between performance and esthetics. Of course, there is that group that will put M badges on a 323 or 325 along with fake M vents on the fenders. I don't know if it's my age but I want my car to move when I give it gas, I'll work on the esthetics after the maintenance it done. Luckily, I have just about gotten up to date.

#20,656 · (Edited)
Well that is the thing, we don't have an exact 19" wheel in particular we are talking about with weight etc. So there's not really an arguement here but you can't deny a wider tire being better for handling. I'm sure you'll bring it up so ill save you the trouble that the thinner sidewall will hurt some handling aspects. I'm sure its not too hard to find a 19" wheel setup lighter than these 17" m68s and 245/40/17s if not pretty damn close.
You have to ask yourself what's handling? A wider tire is actually poorer for handling. It's heavier and slower to respond then a more narrow tire. This is part of the reason why the FR-S handles so beautifully. It doesn't have outright grip, but it has very good agility and response. Similar (part of the) reason the E36 M3 LTW uses narrower tires in the rear than the standard spec E36 M3. 235mm vs 245mm.