Which fasteners to replace doing rear axle bushings? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
kd7iwp

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2009 535x
Which fasteners to replace doing rear axle bushings?

I'm thinking with Corona that I'll do a full rear suspension overhaul. I've put together a shopping cart with all the bushings for the rear diff, rear subframe, and rear control/trailing arms. Question is, which fasteners to replace? I've added in all the nuts which realoem refers to as self-locking nuts. What about the bolts? Some of them are $15 each and I'm looking at $175 already for hardware. Any thoughts?

When I dropped the front subframe on my E61 (xDrive) I spent close to $350 at the dealer for nuts and bolts for everything but it was clear in newtis which ones needed to be replaced, I don't follow some of the definitions in newtis for the E46 to know if they need replacement. Thanks.
kd7iwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:17 PM   #2
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
where are you sourcing your parts from? $15 seems like a lot for a bolt even for a bmw. If you know the sizing, thread info, and grade, you might be able to get something dirt cheap from a company like fastenal. otherwise, i'd definitely stick to online retailers rather than the dealer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:27 PM   #3
kd7iwp

I was looking at FCP for pricing on bolts. I believe some of them are aluminum bolts. After further reading in TIS it looks like I'm only needing to replace the nuts and not the bolts themselves, which saves a bit. Except for those eTorx ones where the halfshafts meet the differential and the driveshaft meets the differential. Those ones are $5 each and they are so small...

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-33176760336

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...lt-33326760360

Last edited by kd7iwp; 04-07-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
peytonracer4

are those half shaft bolts torque to yield? if not, i don't see why installing them with loctite wouldn't be a problem. others should chime in on that, but i HIGHLY doubt a shop would replace those bolts if they were doing rear end work.

it's possible they "need to be replaced" because they're the bolts that ship with loctite on the threads. i'm not sure, just thinking. $5 a pop for those is stupid and i'd seriously consider reusing on my own car if they're not TTY

Last edited by peytonracer4; 04-07-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
kd7iwp

According to TIS they need to be replaced: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-shaft/5iZeMca

My understanding is that they will not necessarily come loose (hence no need for loctite) but that they could snap or something? They don't list a TTY value though...
Old 04-12-2020, 10:01 PM   #6
peytonracer4

based on the tensile strength values i'm seeing for m10 class bolts, even the weakest grade, i'm not really understanding why they would need to be replaced at that instal torque. my only guess is that the torque from the engine is enough to warrant a replacement, but that also doesn't make sense because that would mean the torque over time should deform these bolts. hmm

there's 6 bolts. unless i'm missing something, those bolts should be able to withstand over 40,000 ft-lbs of shear force safely according to these numbers. and i'd guess they're 8.8 bolts so double that. idk maybe i'm just completely confused.
https://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=127

Last edited by peytonracer4; 04-12-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:04 PM   #7
kd7iwp

Thank you all for the feedback. I decided to cancel the replacement of the differential flange bolts and will use some blue Loctite on them. Saved me $100 right there. At least they are all easy enough to get to in the future if needed. One time years ago I was working for the day and needed my driveshaft reinstalled after the guibo replacement in my E30 as I was driving to Canada that evening to see my girlfriend (now wife). On the way back I felt a strong vibration. Pulled over and two of the three bolts were missing and the remaining was loose. I hadn't replaced the lock nuts, but asked my dad to use Loctite and he did not. Promptly replaced those bolts and nuts...
Old 04-13-2020, 02:37 AM   #8
mega_stihl

My Ride: E46 & E32
I'm usually really strict about replacing bolts. If they are prone to be rusted stuck, I usually replace them. But for the rear axle I reused all the bolts.
mega_stihl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:13 AM   #9
Bill33

My Ride: e46
Aside from the fatigue and other considerations, Those half-shaft bolts are a total mother to extract if the socket slips and rounds them off.
Bill33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #10
kd7iwp

Found this on TIS which backs up what peytonracer4 said earlier. Looks like they come with some type of Loctite on them and you would need to remove that and recoat before reusing.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-guide/IBpsMEC

Last edited by kd7iwp; 04-13-2020 at 03:01 PM.