*** Official E46 Lighting Guide *** - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 102 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2014, 04:41 AM   #81
Solidjake
Shifting

My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
+1 ^ Those are flush from what I know (I've installed them for my customers)

The V2's I have are the first first ever ones made. They "should" be of a bigger diameter now but don't quote me on that. The Umnitza Orion Lites should be flush with the bowl edge.

Thank you all. I will move it to the lighting section later on today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

-
-

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:36 AM   #82
ChuckyVee

My Ride: 2000 323i, '99 328is
Great video and great job explaining...helped me tremendously..thanks SJ!

First Bimmer..."Miss December"...2000 323i, purchased Dec. 2013 w/82K on the clock. PM thus far...pads/rotors, belts/pulleys, complete CS overhaul, FCABs, plugs, autotranny/differential service, fuel pump, filter, and relay. Full front end refresh with LCAs and bushings, struts and mounts, inner/outer tie rods, sway bar endlinks and bushings.
ChuckyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:07 AM   #83
Solidjake
Shifting

-
-

-
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #84
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
Model: 325i
Transmission: Auto
Thanks Jake!
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #85
Dbills

My Ride: 99' 328i
Info vid: E46 headlights explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
+1 ^ Those are flush from what I know (I've installed them for my customers)

The V2's I have are the first first ever ones made. They "should" be of a bigger diameter now but don't quote me on that. The Umnitza Orion Lites should be flush with the bowl edge.

Thank you all. I will move it to the lighting section later on today.

I got a pair of V2s probably 6 months ago after the V4s were released and that gap is still there. I actually contacted them thinking they sent me the wrong ones and they said thats how it is supposed to be.

Last edited by Dbills; 12-13-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Dbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #86
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR zhp coupe
So the halogens basically don't do a lot. Only work when you pull back on the stalk for flash to pass?
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #87
Solidjake
Shifting

They are highbeams (different option of a highbeam) that do light up the road very well as well (same as any highbeam on any other car) but in regards to if you have bi-xenon it depends how long you can hold the stalk back while being able to drive.

-
-

-
-

Old 12-20-2014, 10:53 PM   #88
inferno nexus

My Ride: F30 328i
Yellowish Xenon output

Hi Solidjake,

I recently had a P/S headlight replaced by a shop after a deer incident and noticed that the xenon bulb has a lower color temperature than the D/S xenon lamp. I tried swapping out the new xenon bulb with the old one (I told the shop I wanted to keep the old, damaged headlight assembly) but it's still appearing yellowish. Do you know what I can do to get a whiter light output? Do I have to swap in the old ballast or ignitor? Thanks!

inferno nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #89
(510)330ci

My Ride: 330ci
Ive herd a 55w balist helps

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
(510)330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #90
Solidjake
Shifting

Inferno, so the white bulb on your drivers side turns yellow on the passenger side? It's probably the ballast. Just make sure that both of the headlight assemblies are the same make (Such as AL)

As for 510 with the 55 watt ballast, I wouldn't do it. The car is coded specifically and meant for 35 watt ballasts.

-
-

-
-

Old 12-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #91
inferno nexus

My Ride: F30 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Inferno, so the white bulb on your drivers side turns yellow on the passenger side? It's probably the ballast. Just make sure that both of the headlight assemblies are the same make (Such as AL)
Both headlights are the AL brand.
I have not tried that yet, but I'll swap the old ballast in and see if it works. Thanks!

Last edited by inferno nexus; 12-21-2014 at 02:48 PM.
inferno nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #92
Solidjake
Shifting

Yup yup, let us know

-
-

-
-

Old 12-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #93
lllRazorlll

My Ride: Accord Coupe
My passenger side HID bulb doesn't turn on until the engine warms up. This usually happens when it's cold out like now during the winter. What causes this?

lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #94
Solidjake
Shifting

OEM xenon system in the car? Ballast might be having the issue in the cold, but what I would do is swap bulbs around just to make sure it stays on the passenger side.

-
-

-
-

Old 12-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #95
lllRazorlll

Nah it's aftermarket stuff from TRS. I have Matsushita Gen V Ballasts, Morimoto Standalone Can Bus, and D2S Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI Bixenon Bulbs. I'll try swapping it over and seeing what happens.

Quick question: If I purchase an OEM xenon headlight (with everything included including ballasts, canbus) I can just plug it in and drive off right?

Old 12-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #96
Solidjake
Shifting

From what I know.... yes. But not sure how your connector is for the bulb at the base. Have pics of that?

-
-

-
-

Old 12-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #97
lllRazorlll

Is this what you're looking for? http://www.theretrofitsource.com/med...llasts_4_1.jpg

This is what I have

Old 12-24-2014, 10:47 PM   #98
Solidjake
Shifting

Yea, because the bulb carrier for my headlights at least twist into the housing to hold the bulb in

Skip to 4:30 in my vid

-
-

-
-

Old 12-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #99
lllRazorlll

Yeah, my bulb carrier operates the same way. I will try to swap bulbs and see what happens.

Edit: So I swapped bulbs and it turns out that it's one of those two parts I mentioned above except the bulb...I don't know if it's something I should be too worried about...

Last edited by lllRazorlll; 12-26-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:27 AM   #100
alexs.lens

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid...l#.VNR5qGh4oe0
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

Excuse the stupidity, but I am new to the e46 world.
I have a facelift 330i with auto-leveling projectors.
Are these what I need if I want HIDs?

Last edited by alexs.lens; 02-06-2015 at 02:30 AM.
alexs.lens is offline   Reply With Quote