Angel Eyes Comparison: iJDMToy and Umnitza Orion V4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
bremerd1

My Ride: 323
Year: 2000
Model: CI
Transmission: ZF 5HP19
Angel Eyes Comparison: iJDMToy and Umnitza Orion V4

So I've had the opportunity to do a direct comparison between two different sets of Angel Eyes: the iJDMToy 7K set for a non-HID e46, and the Orion V4's from Umnitza.

I picked up a set of the iJDMToy rings as a Christmas gift for my son's e46 sedan.
I can't speak to the longevity of the iJDMToy set - they've only been in my son's car for a week, but I've had the Orion V4's for almost two years. I did need to fix a cold-solder joint about a month ago on inside one of the small power boxes on the Orion (I noticed half of one of the rings out while driving, and some troubleshooting found if I jiggled the set of wires for that ring, it'd come on/go off.) They have been fine for the better part of the two years before, and fine after re-flowing the solder joint for the connector.

-The Orion V4's have two sets of power wires per ring - if something fails, you lose half the ring.
-The iJDMToy kit's wiring was too short. I had to extend the wires for the accessory 'trigger/power' and both light 'feed' wires. The Amazon feedback indicated that, so I was aware it was coming before I purchased them.
-The iJDMToy kit did not have a relay, and are powered directly from the accessory wire.
-The Orion V4's harness had a braided sheath for the harness. The iJDMToy harness was a plastic sheath - easy to melt in an engine bay...
-The Orion V4's are noticeably brighter. The iJDMToy set isn't dim, and is perfectly bright in broad daylight, but when you see them side by side, the Orion's are brighter by far.
-You can't really see the individual leds on the Orion V4's - even from a couple feet. On the iJDMToy kit, if you are at 'driving distance' you can't see the LEDs, but from 10 feet if you are looking for them, you can see the 'bright points' and 'dark points'.
-The 5K 'white' light on both kits are comparable. The rings in my son's car make the halogen bulbs look like yellow fog lights when you turn on the headlights...

It's not a knock for/against either kit. There is a large price difference, but it has not been long enough to be able to speak to the long-term quality of the iJDMToy kit. On both my personal e46's, I opted for the Orion V4's. (The first kit made it mostly trouble free for two years, and my OCD wouldn't let me have one where there are LEDs out, or something not working. Why roll the dice on it - go with a known quantity... My son drives to college and back - if it fails, we can unplug it, and he was 'it's cool, but not a must-have'.

Dan B
bremerd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #2
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
Model: 325i
Transmission: Auto
Had V4s for 3 or 4 years and around 60,000 miles, with no issues

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote