E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

AWD Clunk Going Into Drive/Reverse?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dmax 
#1 ·
Hello all! New to the forums. Never thought I'd be making one of these posts after all these years reading various FAQs but here I am with an issue that I can't really seem to find any info on.

I just bought a 2002 325xi Wagon w/ Automatic transmission with a clunk when I put the car into drive and/or reverse. The noise is more intense when going straight from drive to reverse and vice versa. I usually go from reverse to neutral and then into drive after a little wait because it's been super annoying. I've been under the car and checked the mount for the transfer case, support bearings, flex disk and the u-joints of the main shaft and all seem good. The only thing I noticed that was kinda odd was I could turn the shaft and there was some play in it, could turn bout 1/8" and then it would stop. I also had an extra set of eyes while the car was in the air to shift back and forth between drive and reverse. Apparently the transmission would raise up and down while making the noise and such. I thought it could be transmission mounts but Ive heard that the transfer case bushing/mount was the only thing for this drive train.

I used to have a RWD wagon so this AWD is a little different for me. If any of these problems have been listed before I would love a link since Im having trouble finding info on this.

Thanks!

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.