Who drives their step using +/- all the time? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
JayPitch

My Ride: 2002 325i
Who drives their step using +/- all the time?

I like having the control. Although like all auto transmissions step has a D position but who likes controlling in the M/S or +/- position?
Old 11-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
jasonbimmer

My Ride: Not a BMW for sure
its pretty pointless to me. I would rather go drive a proper manual.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
MercForHire

My Ride: Audi TT MK1 3.2L
Year: 2005
Model: TT 3.2L
Transmission: DSG
If I had a auto I would wish my car would take me to my destination with my eyes closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Solidjake
Shifting

My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
Depends if I need to be in a lower gear at that point in time. But I do use it daily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

-
-

Old 11-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
LittleChrist12

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325xi
The short answer to this question is "anyone who regrets not buying a manual"

I bought a '06 E90 330xi with an automatic in hopes that other members of my family could use it if necessary. I always drove it in either sport or manual mode. Luckily I still had my E46 to get my manual fix. After 3 years, I realized that nobody else ever drove it, so I went back to a 6 speed on my E90 M3.

Last edited by LittleChrist12; 11-15-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
Lionelski

My Ride: 325CIc
I very rarely drive mine in "Manual Mode" but, when I do, I like 3rd gear the best because it says "M3" on my dash in that gear - LOL.

I almost always drive in "Sport Mode".

By the way, Shark totally eliminated throttle lag - most happy since this software was installed

2001 325ci Convertible - Titanium Silver

Sport Package, Premium Package
Racing Dynamics Strut Tower Brace
Conforti Shark Injector, Conforti CAI
Interior: Leather, Euro Tray, M3 Dead Pedal
Old 11-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleChrist12 View Post
The short answer to this question is "anyone who regrets not buying a manual"
Any generalization is wrong. This one too.
I have no regrets I got automatic. I drove manual. I hate 3rd pedal, I hate necessity of ALWAYS masturbate the shifter and clutch pedal, including heavy traffic. I hate the risk of mis-shifting, there are so many threads here of such arrogant Threepedalians who destroyed their engines.
I love the freedom automatic transmission gives you. By automatic I don't mean only the torque converter ones. SMG is the best of two worlds, except.... Except reliability. So, I regret only about SMG is so unreliable. Otherwise, I'll get it in a heartbeat.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
I don't use it all the time, but I do use it daily. My daily drive (which lasts about 10 minutes one-way) involves D, S, and +/-. So a fair amount of stick action.

For full disclosure, my previous car was a stick, I know how to rev-match and heel toe and I do not regret buying the automatic.

Edit:

Actually it's something I find lacking on this forum - discussion of automatics. It seems that every thread dedicated to the discussion of automatics ends in a long chain of morons questioning the validity of any discussion involving anything automatic. Reading long lists of statements like: "next you should remove your automatic and put a manual in it" degrades the forum.

Last edited by Danoff; 11-15-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
I hate the risk of mis-shifting, there are so many threads here of such arrogant Threepedalians who destroyed their engines.
I love the freedom automatic transmission gives you.
The chances of me missing a gear, money-shifting and destroying my gear box are pretty much nonexistent. The chances of your auto self-destructing regardless of how you drive are quite high.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgXi View Post
The chances of me missing a gear, money-shifting and destroying my gear box are pretty much nonexistent. The chances of your auto self-destructing regardless of how you drive are quite high.
Two facts. The first: I see new topics about moneyshift pretty often to call it 'nonexistent'.
The second: I never seen ANY topic about destroyed engine/autotrans BECAUSE it was driven in M or SD mode.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #11
MercForHire

My Ride: Audi TT MK1 3.2L
Year: 2005
Model: TT 3.2L
Transmission: DSG
Life without reverse gear is much more fun with driving a plain old manual.
Every parking job is a great both a mental and physical excercise.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
Quote:
Two facts. The first: I see new topics about moneyshift pretty often to call it 'nonexistent'.
The second: I never seen ANY topic about destroyed engine/autotrans BECAUSE it was driven in M or SD mode.
User-error vs. crappy self-destructing technology.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
jasonbimmer

My Ride: Not a BMW for sure
you guys are buncha blah blah blah.
apples and oranges.
for those of you who like autobox, you missing the fun of driving a manual.
for those of you who like manualbox, you missing the comfort of driving an auto.
I am happy cuz I got both.

Last edited by jasonbimmer; 11-15-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #14
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
This thread is not about whether automatics self-destruct (not all E46 years do). This thread is also not about whether individuals prefer driving auto or manual, or whether auto or manual is better. There are plenty of threads dedicated to those topics throughout this forum. If you wish to discuss that, take it to one of those threads.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
JayPitch

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelski View Post
I very rarely drive mine in "Manual Mode" but, when I do, I like 3rd gear the best because it says "M3" on my dash in that gear - LOL.

I almost always drive in "Sport Mode".

By the way, Shark totally eliminated throttle lag - most happy since this software was installed
lol i know i like that too

What's Shark?

Last edited by JayPitch; 11-15-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #16
louie586

My Ride: 2013 ATS 2.0T/6MT
Quote:
I have no regrets I got automatic. I drove manual. I hate 3rd pedal, I hate necessity of ALWAYS masturbate the shifter and clutch pedal, including heavy traffic. I hate the risk of mis-shifting, there are so many threads here of such arrogant Threepedalians who destroyed their engines.
I love the freedom automatic transmission gives you. By automatic I don't mean only the torque converter ones. SMG is the best of two worlds, except.... Except reliability. So, I regret only about SMG is so unreliable. Otherwise, I'll get it in a heartbeat.
Unless you're an absolute moron, I do not see how you could money shift your manual BMW. You realize that if you're traveling at a high rate of speed, it's literally impossible to move the shifter into a much lower gear unless you slam it in. There is resistance from the transmission.

If you're a good manual driver and you accidently do shift into the wrong gear, you'll realize your mistake almost instantly as soon as you let your clutch out 75% or so of the way - the RPM's will jump way too high and all you have to do is push the clutch pedal (which your foot is already on) back in.

Quote:
But you do see topics about Steptronic and SMG transmissions failing because that is their inherent nature.

Last edited by louie586; 11-15-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #17
Lionelski

My Ride: 325CIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPitch View Post
lol i know i like that too

What's Shark?
Shark Injecter software

2001 325ci Convertible - Titanium Silver

Sport Package, Premium Package
Racing Dynamics Strut Tower Brace
Conforti Shark Injector, Conforti CAI
Interior: Leather, Euro Tray, M3 Dead Pedal
Old 11-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #18
330xIce

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Send a message via AIM to 330xIce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelski View Post
that thought enters my head every time I'm in third lol

I do use mine a lot.. but i really wish i had bought a manual

Follow Me On Instagram: JamesMarshall_E46

-
-

-James-
Old 11-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #19
So Slow

My Ride: 2 doors
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPitch View Post
I like having the control.
then sell your car and get a manual.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #20
Guest021715
Account closed.

Quote:
I love the freedom automatic transmission gives you.
Lol, freedom. Until it breaks down and costs half the car's value to fix, right?

Seems almost everyday there is a new thread in General about an auto going bad.
Closed Thread