Back-up cam that replaces license plate light? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Mobile Electronics Forum

Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
BGAndrea

My Ride: 2012 Audi S4 Sedan
Send a message via AIM to BGAndrea
Back-up cam that replaces license plate light?

Can someone please provide me with the link to the best (best quality and fit) back-up cam that replaces the rear license plate light. There are tons on ebay, but I know some have had issues.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Garmac

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGAndrea View Post
Can someone please provide me with the link to the best (best quality and fit) back-up cam that replaces the rear license plate light. There are tons on ebay, but I know some have had issues.
If I were you I would just get it directly from Jeff. I made the mistake of getting one from ebay for like $20 and had to make many modifications including cutting the plastic so it would fit. Also the video quality sucks, it's way too bright and no idea how to adjust that. Also gets ton of noise when the engine is running...

The one from Jeff is a lot more money but considering that amout of extra work I had to do to make the cheap ebay one to fit, I think it would be worth it

http://jandtdistributing.com/dynavin...backup-camera/

Good luck
Garmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
BGAndrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmac View Post
If I were you I would just get it directly from Jeff. I made the mistake of getting one from ebay for like $20 and had to make many modifications including cutting the plastic so it would fit. Also the video quality sucks, it's way too bright and no idea how to adjust that. Also gets ton of noise when the engine is running...

The one from Jeff is a lot more money but considering that amout of extra work I had to do to make the cheap ebay one to fit, I think it would be worth it

http://jandtdistributing.com/dynavin...backup-camera/

Good luck
Does the one from Jeff replace the license plate light? The pic isn't the clearest. Also, do you know the dimensions? I have a rear laser diffuser on the top of the license plate frame, so I want to make sure it will fit.
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
fadeaway

My Ride: 04 330Ci
The one from Jeff still needs to be cut for your cabrio. It is meant for a sedan. This is according to the last time I checked though, which was around Spring '11.
fadeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
[email protected]
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
As far as I know it will work....but it will stick out a bit, they are flush on the sedans as the lights are recessed, on the coupes and verts they have around 1/4" exposed as the lights are flush, not perfect but still the best solution I have seen, here is a pic:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DYNAVIN FAQ:

BAVSOUND SPEAKERS:

TO BUY

EMAIL ME:

FORUM MEMBERS ENTER DISCOUNT CODE "FANATICS" AT CHECKOUT

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-02-2011 at 06:07 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
Garmac

My Ride: 2002 325i
HI jeff,

Does the dynavin has any settings to adjust the brightness and contrast of the video coming from the rear camera channel?
Garmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
BGAndrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmac View Post
HI jeff,

Does the dynavin has any settings to adjust the brightness and contrast of the video coming from the rear camera channel?
+1 and how is it at night?
Old 11-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
[email protected]
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
works ok, its not a night vision camera but it seems to work ok with regular street lighting/reverse cam lighting.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO:

DYNAVIN FAQ:

BAVSOUND SPEAKERS:

TO BUY

EMAIL ME:

FORUM MEMBERS ENTER DISCOUNT CODE "FANATICS" AT CHECKOUT
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
BGAndrea

Sounds good but now my Dynavin is not working at all. I'm about to send the piece of #@$% back. It's a great idea, but terribly engineered.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
MaximumWalrus

My Ride: E39 530i
Hi guys,

When choosing a reversing camera is it best to go for a PAL one or an NTCS one? I'm in the UK, where our television system is PAL.

Are the Dynavin units region specific - ie do I need a PAL one for a UK unit or what? Thanks!
MaximumWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
1024m3

My Ride: 04 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
As far as I know it will work....but it will stick out a bit, they are flush on the sedans as the lights are recessed, on the coupes and verts they have around 1/4" exposed as the lights are flush, not perfect but still the best solution I have seen, here is a pic:

Anyone have any pics of this one installed on a coupe?
02 X5 sold
08 X5 4.8
04 M3
98 Taurus Beater
1024m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
inta

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1024m3 View Post
Anyone have any pics of this one installed on a coupe?
Looking for a pic of this installed as well (physically on the car), as well as pics of what the reverse camera picture looks like. Can anyone provide this before I order from Jeff?

Also, I removed/destroyed the original/OEM housing for the license plate light when I bought the reverse camera I am using now (bought through Ebay for like $20). Anyone else who did this for the eBay camera know exactly what pieces I would need to replace to get Jeff's version (which doesn't replace the light) functioning it is designed to (by using the OEM light)?

Last edited by inta; 11-26-2011 at 12:31 PM.
inta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
illogik

My Ride: 325i, A3
I'm in the same boat - the LED on my ebay reverse camera stopped working, and now my trunk release button doesn't work

I'll be ordering the camera from Jeff...
illogik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
Onlyloco

My Ride: 2005 M3 Alpine White
Anyone has pictures of the camera on a coupe? I'm tempted but is about $70 shipped so want to make sure it looks right

Quote:
Originally Posted by illogik View Post
I'm in the same boat - the LED on my ebay reverse camera stopped working, and now my trunk release button doesn't work

I'll be ordering the camera from Jeff...
Onlyloco is offline   Reply With Quote