DIY: Non-Heated to Heated Seat Retrofit!! Lots of Pics!!! - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #81
royalratch

My Ride: 03 320d SE Touring
Okay - here is how I envisage it happening.

1) I get the kit from BMW. I fit it (hopefully not the fusebox part).
2) I thread the 12V feeds down under the carpet to the seats.
3) I splice the live/earth wires from the kit into the seats (assuming there is only live/earth to deal with and I can figure out which is what).

The only issues I can see is if the BMW wiring won't play ball with the OEM seats - which I doubt.
And this fusebox wiring - which you say will suck. Can you explain?
royalratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #82
fu98

My Ride: 2002 m3 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalratch View Post
Okay - here is how I envisage it happening.

1) I get the kit from BMW. I fit it (hopefully not the fusebox part).
2) I thread the 12V feeds down under the carpet to the seats.
3) I splice the live/earth wires from the kit into the seats (assuming there is only live/earth to deal with and I can figure out which is what).

The only issues I can see is if the BMW wiring won't play ball with the OEM seats - which I doubt.
And this fusebox wiring - which you say will suck. Can you explain?
if you have to run the wiring from the center console to the fuse box you will have to remove the fuse box from the dash and run the wires from behind it unless you just wire them up some ghetto way.

secondly:
To Passenger seat Side:

B1 - Seat Heating On (GN/YE) - Plug X279 Pin 25
B2 - Ground (BR) - Plug X279 Pin 24
B3 - Temperature (WT/BL) - Plug X279 Pin 23
B4 - Ground (BR) - Under Pass Side Skirt (B2 <---> B4)

did you read the posts on running the wires? i dont think you understand that. once you take the car apart it will be much clearer!!

plug x279 is the plug that goes directly into the seat. there are 3 wires that go from the element to the seat plug itself. those three wires connect to pin 23,24,25.

there are a total of 4 wires that you run from the console switch to the seat. the three that goes into plug x279 and the 4th which goes into a ground that is installed to the body of the car under the carpet.

if your elements only have 2 wires. then i guess you can just run them to plug 24, 25, ground and hot and leave off plug 23 (temperature control).

the overall picture looks like this.

from the seat you have your heating element.
the heating element connects to the seat plug x279.
then wires from the plug x279 and the 4th ground wire runs to the center console.
then 3 wires run from the center console to the fuse box. this is it.

Last edited by fu98; 10-23-2008 at 10:34 AM.
fu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #83
royalratch

Many thanks.

when I get the retrofit kit - it has instructions. I will post full pix of it and a scan of the instructions.

Sounds okay though.

The funny thing is, I got my interior out of a fully loaded write-off car with Sports Leather - they may even be heated - I haven't checked!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #84
fu98

Quote:
Many thanks.

when I get the retrofit kit - it has instructions. I will post full pix of it and a scan of the instructions.

Sounds okay though.

The funny thing is, I got my interior out of a fully loaded write-off car with Sports Leather - they may even be heated - I haven't checked!
the first few posts of this thread were a condensed version of the retrofit instructions from bmw.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #85
royalratch

I'm hoping that the whole point of paying for an BMW retrofit kit is that I won't have to do any custom wiring - other than splicing into the seats.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:55 PM   #86
fu98

Quote:
I'm hoping that the whole point of paying for an BMW retrofit kit is that I won't have to do any custom wiring - other than splicing into the seats.
the only custom wiring you have to do is actually running the listed wires from the seats to the switch (hopefully)
Old 10-23-2008, 02:03 PM   #87
royalratch

Thanks for your help - and patience! I will document the whole thing.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:55 PM   #88
bigdog2003_99

My Ride: 2009 Audi B8
im going to do this to my zhp soon, my 323 has it, maybe ill just switch it from one to the other... unless i find some heater elements for cheap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. John Bryan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bigdog2003_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #89
royalratch

Hi all - me again!

I got some non-OEM heated elements fitted to my seats. I studied them and they have 3 wires going into each element.

1 x Live (hot)
1 x Temp Sensor
1 x Earth (ground).

They are 12V just like BMW's, they are german made and have a very similar carbon filament pattern running through them as the OEM versions.

BMW's official retrofit kit is no longer available:

Which is annoying as it's only £117 in the UK ($175!) and makes the whole thing plug and play!

A guy is selling it on eBay for $375.

I have bought the switch console for $40 which is the only part you must get from BMW.

But now I need to make my own loom. Ivegotissues666, you already had the loom plugs and stuff so you just extended those wires from the switch console loom into the seats and fusebox?

But my question is, if you had to make the loom from scratch, OEM style, how do I get the correct part numbers for:

1) Switch Console Plug Housing
2) Pins for that housing
3) Correct pins / male / female terminal for the fusebox and all other areas etc?

I have an ASC plug going into my current switch console so if I fed wiring into that would that also have spare connections to feed the heated seat switches?

Any help would be much appreciated - I will post pix.

Last edited by royalratch; 11-18-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #90
ssv

Hey Jared
This is a great write up Ė nice job.

I installed 330 BMW seats into a 1969 GTO (hope itís OK to post this question here).
Iím working on getting the heat option to work and this is exactly what I was looking for - thank you very much for posting this with pictures.
I have the module, just need to track down the wiring harness/connector.

Couple of questions:
Looks like 4 wires from the module go to the seats (2 to each seat; one turns on seat heater while the other controls the temperature).

The other three wires go to switched 12 volt power.
One draws a higher amperage (30amps) and the other two are lower (Iím planning to attach these together and connect to acc 12 volts). I will connect appropriate fuses to each.

Is this right? Do you foresee any issues?

The big question for me is module ground.

I understand the brown wires provide ground to the seats but which wire provides ground to the module?

Here (http://photobucket.com/ssv) are picture of my car with the seats installed if anyone wants to see them.

Thanks in advance
S
ssv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:30 AM   #91
royalratch

Just a note to say that the looms, pre-wired and correctly terminated are available from BMW for around $20.

Part numbers, 61 11 6 902 941, 61 11 6 902 951

The switch console is over $200 but these can be picked up used quite easily. You don't need any other part of BMW's spendy kit to do this.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #92
fu98

Quote:
Just a note to say that the looms, pre-wired and correctly terminated are available from BMW for around $20.

The switch console is over $200 but these can be picked up used quite easily. You don't need any other part of BMW's spendy kit to do this.
great info!! have you did the install yet?
Old 01-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #93
elfer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Transmission: 6-speed
Quote:

I just discovered this yesterday also. I couldn't work out the difference between the 941 and 951 looms from the ETK though.

The pdf instructions only pictures one loom but can you confirm both are needed? What's the difference between them?

Any help appreciated!
elfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #94
elfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfer View Post
I just discovered this yesterday also. I couldn't work out the difference between the 941 and 951 looms from the ETK though.

The pdf instructions only pictures one loom but can you confirm both are needed? What's the difference between them?

Any help appreciated!
Disregard. I've just reread the instructions, properly this time.

Last edited by elfer; 01-13-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:03 AM   #95
royalratch

Both looms are needed. One loom goes from switch console to fusebox and the other from fusebox to both seats.

I am using aftermarket heating elements so I've rewired them with new 3 pin plugs (ground, temp & hot) and I'm going to re-terminate the E46 loom in this way, which has I think 4 wires to each seat - but you only need 3.

From what I know, it uses heat on, temp, ground and hot. I'll need to figure out what goes to the 3 on the elements.

I'm guessing ground>ground, hot>hot but not sure whether 'temp' or 'heat on' should go to the temp in the element.

I would have thought that 'heat on' happens when you switch the thing on - help appreciated.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:07 AM   #96
elfer

Thanks royalratch

It's going to take a week or so for my wiring harnesses to come from Germany. If I'm able to determine anything using a multimeter when they arrive I'll let you know!
Old 01-14-2009, 06:09 AM   #97
royalratch

A question (excuse my ignorance).

I have merged two wires that require 12V each from the heating elements (seat base and backrest).

That merged termination will be supplied by a single 12V feed from the E46 loom - will this cause problems?
Will the 12V feed remain 12V once it reached the 'split path'?
Will it cause load issues and have to be factored in?

I assume BMW's own system would had to have split from single to dual 12V at some point...
Old 01-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #98
elfer

The voltage before and after the split will be the same. The current (amperage) though drawn over the wire before the split will be the sum of that drawn over each of the two branches.

I would have thought you'd be OK if you ensure the wire before the split is thick enough and the fuse rating is sufficient. But I'm no autoelectrician.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #99
twka90

My Ride: 2003 M3Cic
Quote:
From what I know, it uses heat on, temp, ground and hot. I'll need to figure out what goes to the 3 on the elements.

I'm guessing ground>ground, hot>hot but not sure whether 'temp' or 'heat on' should go to the temp in the element.

I would have thought that 'heat on' happens when you switch the thing on - help appreciated.
What you are saying seems to make sense. One thing I wonder about though, is the temperature control. Specifically, whether BMW's temperature control scheme is the same as the one used by the heating pads... If they are not the same, your entire install might go to waste -- if the pads do not maintain the reasonable temperature, the system will be unusable.
twka90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:16 AM   #100
royalratch

Well, I figure that the BMW loom will supply 12V which means that they will get heat for sure - how well I can control that heat is another matter.

The question is, as you click on the switch and 'add temperature' what does the BMW loom do? Does it maintain 12V but increase current/amps?

My heating elements have 1 terminal for temperature reading - this is what I will plug the BMW Temp Control terminal into.

The only thing not accounted for, looking at BMW's loom, is HEATING ON - which is confusing as I would have thought it would just turn on 12V when I press the switch and simple as that.

It's worth wiring in as I can always get heated seats at a later date - the aftermarkets didn't cost me anything.