DIY: Non-Heated to Heated Seat Retrofit!! Lots of Pics!!! - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #41
itscoo2pyopants

My Ride: E53 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to itscoo2pyopants
awesome DIY hope i can do it close to your price! good job
itscoo2pyopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #42
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosher View Post
I am working on sourcing the parts for this mod. Do you know if I will be able to remove heated seat elements from an existing seat to use? Or are they woven in from the factory in a way that make removal difficult/impossible?
Thats how I removed mine, well from the fabric for I didn't have the whole seats themselves, for they are sewn together as one. So basically you would destroy the fabrice with the elements by removing them unless of course you knew how to sew the fabric back together the same way yet to me wouldn't seem to be worth it.

Jared

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:09 PM   #43
Jon325iT

My Ride: 2002 325iT
I may have some non sp seats available that could be used for the retrofit. Anyone interested?
Jon325iT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #44
nosoule46

My Ride: 01 E46 & 05 E83 (X3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666 View Post
What?! 138 views and no one cares to comment or thank (except one person by the way) for providing a DIY that I took the time to write up for fellow fanatics. Did everyone just add the page to there favorite and were done with it. Now I'm not even sure I will provide everyone with a Retrofit DIY of Non-Power - Power seats once I get the seat frames in. I mean that is if no one seems to appreciate the time people invest into a project to share with the community.

Anyways //end rant!
Nice write up. I moved to Atlanta (from Quincy MA). I think moving is easier- plus no worries about the salt!
nosoule46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #45
nosoule46

My Ride: 01 E46 & 05 E83 (X3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666 View Post
What?! 138 views and no one cares to comment or thank (except one person by the way) for providing a DIY that I took the time to write up for fellow fanatics. Did everyone just add the page to there favorite and were done with it. Now I'm not even sure I will provide everyone with a Retrofit DIY of Non-Power - Power seats once I get the seat frames in. I mean that is if no one seems to appreciate the time people invest into a project to share with the community.

Anyways //end rant!
Nice write up. I moved to Atlanta (from Quincy MA). I think moving is easier- plus no worries about the salt!
nosoule46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:30 AM   #46
MBmw1

Great write up. Must have taken a lot of time to write up and upload/take all those photos. Im looking to do it but still deciding since I have sports seats without heating but electric lumbar support so dont know if its possible. Anyway great writeup and good luck with your rear seat heating.

Have a nice day!!
MBmw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #47
carfanatic76

My Ride: 1997 BMW M3
Thanks!!

Just finished mine! My wife loves 'em. I definately would have not been succesful without this write up!

Thanks a lot!!

RJ
carfanatic76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #48
sam

My Ride: E92 SB 335i
I've been trying to get the x1869 plug but my dealership doesn't know how to go abouts getting it. Anyone know how I can get my hands on one?

It's the plug that plugs into the back of the switch panel.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #49
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
I've been trying to get the x1869 plug but my dealership doesn't know how to go abouts getting it. Anyone know how I can get my hands on one?

It's the plug that plugs into the back of the switch panel.
Thats one of those parts that can't be ordered unfortunately, you will have to find a junk yard with the wiring harness and have it cut off, or the way I got mine was they were already cut off and included with my console switches.

Jared

Old 03-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #50
e.barr

Hi I have bought a set of leather sports seats that have the seat heating factory installed and all I had to do was buy a heated wiring install kit from BMW the part number is 61 11 0 026 895 its for cars fitted with DSC
e.barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #51
TioTitin'sBlau3

My Ride: 03 TopazBlau3
Send a message via Yahoo to TioTitin'sBlau3
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.barr View Post
Hi I have bought a set of leather sports seats that have the seat heating factory installed and all I had to do was buy a heated wiring install kit from BMW the part number is 61 11 0 026 895 its for cars fitted with DSC

Did you buy the complete seats or just the covers? I am planning on doing the same, but me and one of the guys from Tisher were trying to figure out if the seat covers are the ones that have the heated seat elements. Thanks for any info you may provide.

///M South on Facebook
TioTitin'sBlau3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:15 PM   #52
e.barr

Hi I bought the complete heated sports leather interior from an 05 330cd for 600 I checked how much the leather heated seat covers would cost from the dealers in the UK, 250 each for the seat base and 290ish each for the seat back rests plus VAT.
so I think you have two ways of doing this modification.

1/ Is to follow Ivegotissues instructions and fit an aftermarket heater element into the original seats or
2/ Try and find a good quality secondhand interior with factory heating.

The wiring kit that i mentioned includes the wiring from the yellow plug under the seats to the switch unit on the dash and also to the fusebox it also comes with full pictured instructions.
The kit in the UK costs 130 but if you would like to make your own Ivegotissues instructions on how to make one up is spot on right down to the oem connections. The kit also comes complete with the plug X1869 and the switch unit.

Last edited by e.barr; 03-18-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:25 PM   #53
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Hi I bought the complete heated sports leather interior from an 05 330cd for 600 I checked how much the leather heated seat covers would cost from the dealers in the UK, 250 each for the seat base and 290ish each for the seat back rests plus VAT.
so I think you have two ways of doing this modification.

1/ Is to follow Ivegotissues instructions and fit an aftermarket heater element into the original seats or
2/ Try and find a good quality secondhand interior with factory heating.

The wiring kit that i mentioned includes the wiring from the yellow plug under the seats to the switch unit on the dash and also to the fusebox it also comes with full pictured instructions.
The kit in the UK costs 130 but if you would like to make your own Ivegotissues instructions on how to make one up is spot on right down to the oem connections. The kit also comes complete with the plug X1869 and the switch unit.
Mine are OEM heated elements NOT aftermarket BTW

Those are pretty decent prices they include the leather cover w/ elements attached if you were to buy from BMW?

Jared

Old 03-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #54
e.barr

Thanks for the correction I should have known that you would fit oem.

I thought the price of the leather covers from BMW was really expensive so decided to try and find a complete heated interior, 18 months later one appears and its sports how lucky was that the guy originally wanted 750 but dropped it down in price because i also bought the remainder of the body kit and the oem led tails which are now fitted to my brothers e46.

Ivegotissues how did you buy the heater elements on there own and are they for an e46 as my dealer said at the time that you could not get the elements on there own for this model.
I know that you can get them seperate for the e36 and i see that the new three series seat heating retrofit is selling in the UK for 140 part number 61 11 0 400 883 but still to check if it includes the seat heating elements etc.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:15 PM   #55
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Thanks for the correction I should have known that you would fit oem.

I thought the price of the leather covers from BMW was really expensive so decided to try and find a complete heated interior, 18 months later one appears and its sports how lucky was that the guy originally wanted 750 but dropped it down in price because i also bought the remainder of the body kit and the oem led tails which are now fitted to my brothers e46.

Ivegotissues how did you buy the heater elements on there own and are they for an e46 as my dealer said at the time that you could not get the elements on there own for this model.
I know that you can get them seperate for the e36 and i see that the new three series seat heating retrofit is selling in the UK for 140 part number 61 11 0 400 883 but still to check if it includes the seat heating elements etc.
From fanatics that just parted the skin covers with the heated elements attached.

I paid $100 shipped for the first pair and just recently $150 shipped for a second pair that I just threw into my rear seats so now the rears are heated HA!

Jared

Old 03-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #56
e.barr

How considerate of you to heat up you passengers behinds i guess everyone wants to travel in your car now.

Yeah thats sounds like a really good modification, was it difficult to do?
I know that the back seats are really easy to remove from the car but hows the covers to remove and did you just link up the wiring to the fronts.

It would be good if you could post a diy for this, BTW hows the mirror diy's comming on cant wait to see the one about the reverse tilt function
Old 03-22-2007, 02:45 PM   #57
Bimmer360

My Ride: X5 4.4i V8 DOHC 32V
i wonder if this kit would work using our BMW button on the switch panel?

http://www.heatedseatkits.com/index.html
Bimmer360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:41 PM   #58
e.barr

Ivegotissues

tried to find some secondhand heated seat covers to do the rear mod but up to now I have not had any luck can you please advise me on how you managed to get them, where they badly worn covers and had been removed for this reason.

Thanks for your help
Old 09-27-2007, 10:55 PM   #59
BimmerDoc

My Ride: E46 AWD, ///M Coupe
Send a message via AIM to BimmerDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer360 View Post
i wonder if this kit would work using our BMW button on the switch panel?

http://www.heatedseatkits.com/index.html
up for this question
BimmerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #60
Stevo1111

My Ride: 330I
Love the work, keeps me wanting to do more to my car.....keep the great DIY coming.

same question about the heatedseatkits....only $150 for the elements for upper and lower for the front seats on ebay now.
Having hard time finding OEM ones.

Already have heated seats now, but swapping new ones in and they were suppose to be heated but no heating elements are there....errr ebay...
So much for plug and play , no I have to install them myself....

Thanks
Stevo1111 is offline   Reply With Quote