Weird throttle response (Please help!!) - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
Josh911ci

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Year: 2000
Model: 323ci
Transmission: 5spd
Weird throttle response (Please help!!)

Hi all, I'm having some really weird issues with the throttle response on downshifts, but first I should probably tell you what has been done to the car.

The car is a 2000 323ci with a manual transmission, and it currently has 187,000 miles. I put a m54b30 in it and while the engine was out I replaced all the seals and THE ENITRE COOLING SYSTEM. That was around 182,000 miles.

Most recently I did an ms43 swap according to this very informative and useful thread.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showth...1062028&page=2

That part went very smoothly, with the only setback being a rounded out bolt on the Turner Motorsport throttle body adaptor plate.

I got the ECU, gas pedal, and throttle body from a wrecked 330cic, and the wiring harness I had left over from my m54b30 swap.

I spent many hours figuring out how to flash and tune the ECU and flashed the MS430056_Logger_EWSsignature_CHK5off.bin file from the ms43 development crew.

The car now drives really well and the butt dyno says we are making a fair bit more power, but there is one thing that is driving me nuts.

When I try to blip the throttle for a downshift without applying brake the rpms go to 4k and just hang there regardless of how hard or light I push the pedal, but when I do a proper heel n'toe the rpms rise proportional to how hard I push the pedal, and fall nice and quick with no hang.

I have tried refreshing the ECU multiple times, and tried playing with the throttle maps a little but I'm not experienced enough to feel comfortable with my own tune. Regardless my map changes haven't helped.

I could really use some help with this, and would really appreciate it if some one would chime in and help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zsp, Slicktop, Manual seats, 5spd
m54b30 swap
ms43 swap
Josh911ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:49 PM   #2
Josh911ci

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Year: 2000
Model: 323ci
Transmission: 5spd
Turns out it was a vacuum leak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zsp, Slicktop, Manual seats, 5spd
m54b30 swap
ms43 swap
Josh911ci is offline   Reply With Quote