DIY: Foglight Retrofit just like OEM but without the Kit! - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #81
FirstBimmer18

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
I just completed this project the other day.. I bought a bosch 4 pin relay and made the wiring harness myself. you can buy it from an autoparts store or online. here is a diagram that should help. the harness you create will consist of a positive wire from the headlights to the relay, a ground wire from the relay to any ground (I spliced it into the brown wire on my glovebox light) , a positive wire from the relay to the #38 15amp fuse panel, and a positive wire from the relay spliced to the yellow wire on the socket in one of the previous pics up here.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1400694732849.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	559231  
FirstBimmer18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #82
fourtysix

My Ride: e46
anyone have the part number for the fog light socket for the h11 bulb??plzzzz
fourtysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #83
Gyuri1

My Ride: 2003 320i
EDIT * The pictures finally loaded *

Thanks for the great DIY I will be doing this asap.

Last edited by Gyuri1; 10-13-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Gyuri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #84
Gyuri1

I'm stuck *noob*

I'm at step 5 making the relay wiring harness but I don't get it.

I found the yellow/brown wire going to the fog light female relay connector but that's about it.

I mean at step 5 there's a picture on which you are holding up something black with some white characters on it and it holds a yellow/brown as well but what is it? That is not the wire in the relay female connector is it?

Could someone please provide clear step by step info on hold to build that relay harness? In other words what do I do once I found that yellow/brown wire?

Lastly could I use a smaller gauge wire to connect to the fog lights... say 18 - 20? I have a bunch of them lying around.

Thanks so much it is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #85
Gyuri1

Hi guys. I am attempting once again to get some help.

I do not fully understand how to build the harness.

I would really appreciate a clear step by step on how this works. I found that single yellow/brown wire that I need to tap into but from there on I simply don't get it...

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-10-2017, 01:24 AM   #86
Aussigazza

My Ride: E46 330i and M3
Year: 1999
Model: Now 330i
Transmission: 6 Speed M3
I posted this in the general forum, but hope posting here may get a response...

I already have the upgraded light module with fog light button. When the fog button is pressed the display shows fog light on off correctly.

When I checked the yellow brown wire the empty fog light relay slot, it shows 6 volts to ground no matter what pressed position the fog light button is in.

I went ahead and wired independent relay power and switch and they work.

It would be nice to get the fog lights working off the correct button though...

Any ideas? I have done a lot of electrical and car wiring and I am stumped.

Garry.
Aussigazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:43 AM   #87
Aussigazza

My Ride: E46 330i and M3
Year: 1999
Model: Now 330i
Transmission: 6 Speed M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyuri1 View Post
Hi guys. I am attempting once again to get some help.

I do not fully understand how to build the harness.

I would really appreciate a clear step by step on how this works. I found that single yellow/brown wire that I need to tap into but from there on I simply don't get it...

Thanks in advance!
Other than the correct wire not working for me, it is actually pretty easy. I will show how I did mine in a new thread.

Before you go any further, test that the yellow/brown wire goes to 12 volts when the fog light button is pressed to turn them on. Use a multimeter with positive probe on the wire and negative probe on a good earth spot.

If it does, the rest is easy.

The OP may jump in and help with a diagram. Essentially run 2 wires from the relay to the first fog light and then on to the second. Keep the positive wires together and the earth wires together. This is a parallel circuit.

The earth or return wire end of these 2 wires goes to an earth spot near the relay. The power wire going to the first and continuing on to the second fog light is connected to the relay at the 87 pin.

To summarise the relay connections:

30 is power from the fuse
86 is connected to the existing yellow/brown wire,
87 goes to the fog lights (one wire going to first fog light and then on to the second)
85 goes to a good earth spot and then on to the first fog light and proceeding to the second.

If you understand this, you will realise that there are two wires coming from under the dash, a power wire and an earth wire. They must NEVER be wired together.

Garry
Aussigazza is offline   Reply With Quote