Vibration driving me nuts - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
illogik

My Ride: 325i, A3
Vibration driving me nuts

So I've searched a ton and tried everything I can think of to fix this vibration problem, but no luck

Symptoms:
- Vibration can be felt in the steering wheel and through the cabin (floor / seat)
- It happens at all speeds but gets more noticeable at higher speeds
- I think it's originating in the front-end, but I can't be sure
- It feels and sounds almost like a flat spot in the tire (but see below). Sounds more like a rhythmic "thump" without any grinding or whirring.

Here's what I tried:
- Tires & wheels re-mounted, balanced and re-balanced. No defects in the tires and wheels (dents, runouts, flatspots) noted
- Alignment done
- Replaced control arms / ball joints
- Replaced FCABs
- Replaced tie-rod assemblies
- Replaced the front sway bar links (which at least fixed my clunking)
- Confirmed air pressure, lug nut torque, etc

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thx
illogik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
VonGeiss

My Ride: 2002 m3
Wheel bearing.

I had this same problem. I was replacing parts left and right, it never went away so I just drove it for another 5k-10k miles and I got the classic humming noise of a bad wheel bearing. Replaced it and both the hum and the thumping disappeared. It was the passenger side btw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Carbon Black ///M3 - current
2002 Stahlgrau ///M3 - RIP
2001 325i - sold

Instagram: @VONGEISS
VonGeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Same problem. At higher speeds, I have a low humming noise, and I have an intermittent vibration all the way through my seat above 60 mph. I'm chalking it up to very unbalanced wheels + cupped tires, I'm really hoping it is not a wheel bearing.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonGeiss View Post
Wheel bearing.

I had this same problem. I was replacing parts left and right, it never went away so I just drove it for another 5k-10k miles and I got the classic humming noise of a bad wheel bearing. Replaced it and both the hum and the thumping disappeared. It was the passenger side btw.
a definite possibility.

Have you checked the play in the wheels?

ABS/DSC/Brake/Airbag light on?? Click here!:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
330ciandr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
If all four wheels were checked and balanced, and there really were no flat spots on either the inside or outside wheel, then I like wheel bearing also...and not necessarily only the front...but probably.

An out of balance wheel in the rear can be felt in the front.

Next you go to Universal joint and csb, but you can check for wheel bearing by seeing if a high speed turn one direction or the other attenuates what you hear...then it will be the bearing on the loaded side. Highway entrance ramps are nice for this. You should hear a whoop, whooping sort of sound initially. I haven't let mine get worse than that!

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
VonGeiss

My Ride: 2002 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
If all four wheels were checked and balanced, and there really were no flat spots on either the inside or outside wheel, then I like wheel bearing also...and not necessarily only the front...but probably.

An out of balance wheel in the rear can be felt in the front.

Next you go to Universal joint and csb, but you can check for wheel bearing by seeing if a high speed turn one direction or the other attenuates what you hear...then it will be the bearing on the loaded side. Highway entrance ramps are nice for this. You should hear a whoop, whooping sort of sound initially. I haven't let mine get worse than that!
+1 I should have mentioned it was passenger FRONT wheel bearing. I originally thought it was the CSB, but I replaced both the CSB and the guibo (because they were bad anyway) and I still had it.

My typical wheel bearing symptoms didn't start for long time, I had the thumping for probably a good 10,000 miles before I changed it.

2002 Carbon Black ///M3 - current
2002 Stahlgrau ///M3 - RIP
2001 325i - sold

Instagram: @VONGEISS
VonGeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
illogik

My Ride: 325i, A3
I didn't feel any play in the wheels last I checked, but I'll start trying to diagnose those bearings.

Thanks a bunch for the input.
illogik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
bmwTuner1

My Ride: Bmw, 330ci
Any update illogik? My car's had a vibration for a little while now and I too have checked all the components you have. The only time my car doesnt vibrate is at slow speeds and while turning right so I think my right front bearing is out.

bmwTuner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:35 AM   #9
bmwTuner1

Update: I had my passenger side bearing replaced and my car drives like a dream again

Old 01-25-2012, 05:08 AM   #10
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Although you claim your tires and wheels have been checked dings, flat spots or dents, I can't tell you how many times someone has missed bent wheels.

These light weight aluminum wheels and low profile tires are a bent wheel waiting to happen. My wifes car with Style 68 wheel and 40/45 series tires had all 4 wheels bent. Luckily I was able to have them straightened for far less than replacing them by a local wheel repair vendor.

I was really surprised how badly some of them were bent.

Also recommend that you get your wheels/tires road force balanced. I think there is one model Hunter wheel balancer that is used often. You need to find a good shop to do this. I my are most Just Tires shops have this capability and the balancing is lifetime!

Yes wheel bearing are another source of problems, but usually a bad wheel bearing cause more noise than vibration.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #11
bmwTuner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Yes wheel bearing are another source of problems, but usually a bad wheel bearing cause more noise than vibration.

My wheel bearing was vibrating and making noise.