E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY: Start/Stop button

88K views 155 replies 32 participants last post by  Reductor valve 46 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm editing my first post, in order to start posting DIY. I'm gonna do it step by step, because it is long process, and it is done by 90 percents yet. I faced some problem from the beginning of the project and solved them, only 2 problems left and currently I don't have much time to work on this, but I'm gonna figure it out soon.
So, what I have for now:
1. E60 key locks/unlocks my E46 without any modification of the key itself
2. start/stop works perfectly with key in the slot, no issues at all
3. starter disengage board assembled, tested, and works perfectly
4. PassiveGo. Well, this is main headache, and the last part of the project. PassiveGo does not works as it should. Sometimes with the key in car interior, and button press, nothing happens. sometimes once, sometimes twice. it feels like CAS won't recognize the key randomly. This is the main thing to figure out. By the way, some help and advice would be appreciated. Again, with key in slot, it works perfectly, no problems at all.
Second problem with PassiveGo is start sequence, well, this is not huge thing, I can live with this, but I like to figure this out also. In the E60, when you have your key inside interior, and ignition is in position 0(everything off), the engine should be started immediately by pressing start button once, I mean, ACC, ignition and starter are activated all together. In my case it will activate only ACC first, and I have to press button once more to start the engine. I'm gonna post video soon. Actually, this happens because of CAS module can't communicate with DSC module. It is confirmed, because I have disconnected DSC in E60, and button acted the same, two button pushes needed to start the engine. The good news, this is configurable via the NCS expert, because CAS module has huge amount of options on how engine can be started, for example you can choose options like engine will be started only in park or not, clutch pedal depressed or not, brake pedal depressed or not. I just need a bit of time to figure this out.

Now let's start with the components list. For the full project with remote key, and PassiveGo, you will need next modules/components:

CAS module.

This is the main thing, it does everything begining from signal reception from the remote key, ending with starter engagement. The correct module we will need is from past 2007 vehicles. It can come from E60, E70, E90 etc. no matter. The main thing is that we need CAS module without Electric Steering Lock. This modules are usually stamped C4, and are CAS3+ modules, their hardware also differs from the older modules hardware. We can't use CAS2 modules for this project, because they all came with ELV, and there no non-ELV software exists for them. These are white color modules, and the only way to use them is to have ELV lock mechanism connected and wired up, or you can use ELV emulator boards, 120$ from ebay. Without ELV, CAS will not release ignition clamp, only ACC is released. Usually ELV is quite problematic and fails often, so BMW got rid of them. I'm not sure in top of my head, but according to TIS all past 2007 cars, came without ELV. I tried to re flash CAS3 with non ELV software, but it was not impossible due to different hardware. So, your best bet is CAS3+, with C4 stamped on it.

Key.

There was 2 types of keys: with Comfort Acces, and without it. This is easily seen with battery cover in the bottom of the key. Keys with CA has battery cover, while key's without CA are solid. Of course, CAS and key needs to be matched.

Key slot with ribbon cable.

You can use any slot from E60, E90, E70. They all are technically the same, difference is only from the outside.

Start/stop button. Again, any button from these car models will work.

FBD receiver.

These are different also. I'm using one from facelift E60. Don't know if other models will work. FBD receives signal from the remote key, and forwards them to CAS. It is needed to remote lock/unlock and also needed in order to PassiveGo work. It is installed in different places in different models. I have installed it in my rear view mirror. Open/close range is somewhere 15 meters, just like stock.

Central Gateway Module (KGM module)

This module is installed only in E60's and after 2005/09. E9X models use JBE modules instead. So, I'm assuming you will get KGM module, because I have not deal with JBE's. KGM's are responsible for front door locks and power windows. also responsible for diagnostics. You can't just hook any kind of diagnostic software on to the CAS for example, it will not work. All modules in the E60 are connected via CAN-bus or other bus with KGM module, and next goes to OBD2 connector. There are a lot of things to code out from CAS in order to make it work, so you will need KGM module anyways.

Comfort Access (PassiveGo module).

This mid sized white module is needed to talk with the key in interior. Antennas also needed, I have 2 of them installed, one under the climate control, second in the arm rest. In E60 4 of them installed, but we don't need luggage compartment.

Aerial(PassiveGo antenna):

All modules should come with connectors of course. I'll be posting wiring diagrams and pinouts later

Components placement:

This is optional, but I have installed CAS module in my footwell, mount it with 10mm plastic bolt, which usually holds EWS module.
Key slot is installed on steering column, where your ignition barrel was. What I did, I have got spare steering column, and cut out the steering lock, and round ignition barrel housing. Then installed instead of my steering column.
Installation place of start/stop button is visible on videos.
Next comes KGM and PG modules. I have installed them behind the glove box, where you have your GM module. There are a spare places in module holder, PG fits perfectly inside, but in order to fit KGM you will have to remove center plastic piece. I ran wires from glove box to CAS, behind the heater. It's a bit tricky, but worth it.

Starter disable board parts list:
U1 - Attiny85 controller - I used sop8 package because of dimensions, you can use dip8 package
R3, R4 - two 10kohm reistors - again, I used smd ones
T1 - 2N3904 transistor - SOT-323 package with t04 marking on it
U2 - 5V voltage regulator - L250 marking I have pulled it from old pcb board, with corresponding capacitors(C2, C3 depends on which voltage regulator you will use, see datasheet). you can use any 5 volt voltage regulator.
ZD1 - 4.7V zener diode
R2 - 2.2kohm resistor
R1 - 4.7kohm resistor
C1 - 1uf capacitor

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5MsvlHyIk1sMGtkLTd1UVpEUUk

Archive contains Arduino sketch, Sprint Layout software and pcb board design. Install Sprint Layout, and open 1.lay file. You can print and fabricate pcb now :)

See less See more
#108 ·
No, if key will release ACC, it should release ignition too. Check your voltage and grounds supply, with they are ok, probably your CAS is damaged.
Is it possible that your CAS module plastic case is from other unit, and pcb board inside it is from the different C3 CAS? where did you get it?

#132 · (Edited)
bump. Would like some more eyes on this.

Edit: for those who are interested in this project, I'd be happy to share some of the research I've compiled. That, and I can return to this post for everything.

The big stuff:
-This link is the most important. It tells you how the system works, what terminals it interacts with at what stages, offers links on how every piece behaves and for each chassis and some pinouts between modules. 90% of what you need to see is either on this page or can be accessed there.
-A more technical overview. There is some overlap with the above link
-Sequence of CAS
-The range of "aerial" key sensors in E9x and E6x chassis' can be helpful when doing your own.
-Technical rundown of E9x wiring setup and E6x setup

If you're like me, you're planning on the doors as well. I have a door handle from an E60 M5 and have concluded that this is the harder of the two. So here is the E9x key diagram, which will be the route I'm going. Here is the E60 if you must: link

The big difference is that the E9x has lock and unlock capacitive sensors INSIDE the door handle. The E60 relies on a capacitive sensor on the inside of the door for unlock. For unlock, both also have a tension sensor to act as a redundancy to the unlock capacitive sensor. I haven't looked for the PN for this for eBay shopping, and this would work for keyless unlock (but you'd probably want a keyless lock capacitor anyway), but who wants to yank a looked door for unlock?

More detail orientated links: The nitty gritty
This states that the car won't start without DME. I don't know how we bypassed this: Link
More so about how CAS/PassiveGo plays a role with unlock/lock/security: link
Immobilizer aspects: link
Info about the BUS communication, particularly aimed at doors: Link

#133 · (Edited)
Nice info for beginners, but it is not as complicated as you wrote, for example: why do you worry about CAS-DME sync? The CAS installed in E46 will remain orphan, without DME or something else, EWS module will still remain in your car, and play immo role. Just wire up CAS, KGM and PGS(passive go), go to JLpcb and order my pcb board and parts for it, solder everything, and you are ready to go.
Important info on Passive GO: I mentioned earlier that Passive Go will sometimes see the key fob, and sometimes not. I figured out why it happens: PGS module needs message about vehicle speed from DSC module within CAN-bus. It just needs to know is vehicle stationary or not, if yes, it will start, if no, it won't. Unfortunately it is impossible to wire E9X or E6X DCS module in E46, because newer DSC's are bus users on PT-CAN(powertrain CAN), which does not exist in E46. Even if you will install DSC module in E46, it will not work, because it uses active wheel speed sensors, which are not driven by toothed wheel in wheel hub, but with magnet inside hub. In addition to this, wheel sensor will send signal every 70 milliseconds when vehicle is standing, which tells the module that vehicle is stationary. In my case PGS module does not receive message from DSC, that's why it works sometime, and some time not. I don't have any idea yet, how to solve this. My E46 is sold out, and I'm owner of E92 335i.
As for door handles, honestly I never thought about installing them, but I'm sure it is possible, E9X door handles are preferred, because they have capacitive sensor inside handle itself

#142 ·
Hi blink977!

I'd like more help. I purchased an ELV emulator and so I already have the ignition. However, the module still does not "start". I connected all the wires you described except "pin19 Wake Up" and "pin 30 PA bus". I don't know where to tie them. I tested the pin 41 clutch cable at +12 volts.

Could it help why you can't "start up"?

Thanks, Norbert

#146 ·
I'm editing my first post, in order to start posting DIY. I'm gonna do it step by step, because it is long process, and it is done by 90 percents yet. I faced some problem from the beginning of the project and solved them, only 2 problems left and currently I don't have much time to work on this, but I'm gonna figure it out soon.
So, what I have for now:
4. PassiveGo. Well, this is main headache, and the last part of the project. PassiveGo does not works as it should. Sometimes with the key in car interior, and button press, nothing happens. sometimes once, sometimes twice. it feels like CAS won't recognize the key randomly. This is the main thing to figure out. By the way, some help and advice would be appreciated. Again, with key in slot, it works perfectly, no problems at all.
Second problem with PassiveGo is start sequence, well, this is not huge thing, I can live with this, but I like to figure this out also. In the E60, when you have your key inside interior, and ignition is in position 0(everything off), the engine should be started immediately by pressing start button once, I mean, ACC, ignition and starter are activated all together. In my case it will activate only ACC first, and I have to press button once more to start the engine. I'm gonna post video soon. Actually, this happens because of CAS module can't communicate with DSC module. It is confirmed, because I have disconnected DSC in E60, and button acted the same, two button pushes needed to start the engine. The good news, this is configurable via the NCS expert, because CAS module has huge amount of options on how engine can be started, for example you can choose options like engine will be started only in park or not, clutch pedal depressed or not, brake pedal depressed or not. I just need a bit of time to figure this out.

Now let's start with the components list. For the full project with remote key, and PassiveGo, you will need next modules/components:

CAS module.

This is the main thing, it does everything begining from signal reception from the remote key, ending with starter engagement. The correct module we will need is from past 2007 vehicles. It can come from E60, E70, E90 etc. no matter. The main thing is that we need CAS module without Electric Steering Lock. This modules are usually stamped C4, and are CAS3+ modules, their hardware also differs from the older modules hardware. We can't use CAS2 modules for this project, because they all came with ELV, and there no non-ELV software exists for them. These are white color modules, and the only way to use them is to have ELV lock mechanism connected and wired up, or you can use ELV emulator boards, 120$ from ebay. Without ELV, CAS will not release ignition clamp, only ACC is released. Usually ELV is quite problematic and fails often, so BMW got rid of them. I'm not sure in top of my head, but according to TIS all past 2007 cars, came without ELV. I tried to re flash CAS3 with non ELV software, but it was not impossible due to different hardware. So, your best bet is CAS3+, with C4 stamped on it.

Key.

There was 2 types of keys: with Comfort Acces, and without it. This is easily seen with battery cover in the bottom of the key. Keys with CA has battery cover, while key's without CA are solid. Of course, CAS and key needs to be matched.

You can use any slot from E60, E90, E70. They all are technically the same, difference is only from the outside.

FBD receiver.

These are different also. I'm using one from facelift E60. Don't know if other models will work. FBD receives signal from the remote key, and forwards them to CAS. It is needed to remote lock/unlock and also needed in order to PassiveGo work. It is installed in different places in different models. I have installed it in my rear view mirror. Open/close range is somewhere 15 meters, just like stock.

This module is installed only in E60's and after 2005/09. E9X models use JBE modules instead. So, I'm assuming you will get KGM module, because I have not deal with JBE's. KGM's are responsible for front door locks and power windows. also responsible for diagnostics. You can't just hook any kind of diagnostic software on to the CAS for example, it will not work. All modules in the E60 are connected via CAN-bus or other bus with KGM module, and next goes to OBD2 connector. There are a lot of things to code out from CAS in order to make it work, so you will need KGM module anyways.

This mid sized white module is needed to talk with the key in interior. Antennas also needed, I have 2 of them installed, one under the climate control, second in the arm rest. In E60 4 of them installed, but we don't need luggage compartment.

All modules should come with connectors of course. I'll be posting wiring diagrams and pinouts later

Components placement:

This is optional, but I have installed CAS module in my footwell, mount it with 10mm plastic bolt, which usually holds EWS module.
Key slot is installed on steering column, where your ignition barrel was. What I did, I have got spare steering column, and cut out the steering lock, and round ignition barrel housing. Then installed instead of my steering column.
Next comes KGM and PG modules. I have installed them behind the glove box, where you have your GM module. There are a spare places in module holder, PG fits perfectly inside, but in order to fit KGM you will have to remove center plastic piece. I ran wires from glove box to CAS, behind the heater. It's a bit tricky, but worth it.

U1 - Attiny85 controller - I used sop8 package because of dimensions, you can use dip8 package
U2 - 5V voltage regulator - L250 marking I have pulled it from old pcb board, with corresponding capacitors(C2, C3 depends on which voltage regulator you will use, see datasheet). you can use any 5 volt voltage regulator.
ZD1 - 4.7V zener diode
R2 - 2.2kohm resistor
R1 - 4.7kohm resistor
C1 - 1uf capacitor

Start/Stop - Google Drive

Archive contains Arduino sketch, Sprint Layout software and pcb board design. Install Sprint Layout, and open 1.lay file. You can print and fabricate pcb now :)
Hey so I'm very late to the game.. But the Google drive link says its empty?

#150 ·
So, what I have for now:

CAS module.

Key.

FBD receiver.

Components placement:

ZD1 - 4.7V zener diode
R2 - 2.2kohm resistor
R1 - 4.7kohm resistor
C1 - 1uf capacitor

Start/Stop - Google Drive

Hi, I set it up on my own e30 and it works very well. When I press the start stop button once, the engine is running. If anyone wants to do this myself, I will send the encoding.