E46 Fanatics Forum banner

P1635 oil leak killed DME?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Bali 
#1 ·
My 2005 330i zhp was running fine then power dropped and idle would surge from 1000 rpm to 1500 rpm. Did not respond to throttle. Checked engine codes and got P1635 and somtimes P1634 both about the throttle body adaptations. Did some searching didn't find much.

Took the car to the Dealer and their diagnosis was a bad DME caused by leaky cam sensors and Vanos solenoid causing oil to get into the DME/

Is this even possible? I am worried they are going to replace and the problem will remain.

Any ideas? Ever heard of this?

#4 · (Edited)
Doubt you need a new DME. Most likely just need some electronic repair if anything. Beware the Stealer, they will often blindly replace parts to fix a problem while your wallet bleeds.

#9 ·
At least pull out the harness connector and inspect carefully with a bright light. Easy to do. This oil or coolant wicking up the wiring harness is fairly common on these cars. Another reason not to ignore any fluid leaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.