Repairs - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
captain bimmer

Repairs

Just got back from the dealership. My car has only 43000 miles and they are telling me i need to replace both front control arms + Bushings and both rear springs because they are both broken. Also need serp belts due to cracking.

They quoted me at $2150. Ive done a few simple DIY like camshaft sensors. But I normally wouldnt try to replace suspension parts myself. But with a estimate past 2 grand, i am thinking about trying. Do you think it would be too difficult for me to do myself having never done any type of similar work before? Also, what springs should I buy? I know about the Meyle control arms the everyone talks about on here. Thanks!
captain bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
gman88

My Ride: 2007 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain bimmer View Post
Just got back from the dealership. My car has only 43000 miles and they are telling me i need to replace both front control arms + Bushings and both rear springs because they are both broken. Also need serp belts due to cracking.

They quoted me at $2150. Ive done a few simple DIY like camshaft sensors. But I normally wouldnt try to replace suspension parts myself. But with a estimate past 2 grand, i am thinking about trying. Do you think it would be too difficult for me to do myself having never done any type of similar work before? Also, what springs should I buy? I know about the Meyle control arms the everyone talks about on here. Thanks!
You should be able to do the repairs by yourself. I've done suspension before and its not all that hard to do rear springs just slide in and out so all you need to do is lower it enough to pull them out. Might be a good time to think about lowering it. Belts I would have a mechanic do. Go around to other shops and see what they quote you. And the control arms you can do on your own I know theres diy threads on here for that
gman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
dragonz

you can buy oem springs/cab from tischer(spellcheck), oem sponsor stuff on the boards and bring it to an indy shop. springs you could also look into coilovers or cupkits, it will give you a nice drop of course!
dragonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
TioTitin'sBlau3

My Ride: 03 TopazBlau3
Send a message via Yahoo to TioTitin'sBlau3
How the hell do you drive!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain bimmer View Post

How the hell do you drive your car!! To have that kind of damage, did you run over something? Do you avoid potholes? I have an 03 with 42,000 miles and it all looks nice and clean!! Drive it like you still love it!!

Dude, mileoneparts.com is tishcer site and then scroll down to accessory specials and they have a sections that says E46fanatics, click and scroll down.

///M South on Facebook
TioTitin'sBlau3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
captain bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TioTitin'sBlau3 View Post
How the hell do you drive your car!! To have that kind of damage, did you run over something? Do you avoid potholes? I have an 03 with 42,000 miles and it all looks nice and clean!! Drive it like you still love it!!

Dude, mileoneparts.com is tishcer site and then scroll down to accessory specials and they have a sections that says E46fanatics, click and scroll down.
I got this car at 28,000 miles and since ive owned it, now at 43,000 miles, ive taken very good care of it. I guess it is a good assumption that the first owners didnt drive so carefully, but I even question that since the control arms are so problematic to begin with. The rear springs i have no explanation for. This ruined my whole entire day.
captain bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
2001bmw330

My Ride: 2003 bmw 330ci
ive heard that the oil filled control arm bushing tend to break or leak oil at 30000 miles i replaced mine with polyurathane bushing. much better feeling in the steering wheel
2001bmw330 is offline   Reply With Quote