Brake booster leaks - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2018, 12:16 AM   #1
Edvis1599

My Ride: E46 320i
Year: 2002
Model: E46 FL Touring
Transmission: Manual
Brake booster leaks

Hello boys and girls!

So i have an issue. My brake booster is leaking somewhere... When car is running brake pedal is soft, booster is working. While car is off and brake pedal is hard, apllying pressure to brake pedal and starting the car releaves the pressure from the brake pedal, it goes down and gets soft.
But the thing is that when car sits not running for around 30-60mins brake pedal gets really really hard, barely pressable. So i assume that theres is a leak somewhere since it shouldnt get hard by itself, i mean it should hold vacuum for a press or two when the car is off.
I smoked my engine and theres no vacuum leaks, since i changed pretty much whole vacuum system. I havent done anything to my brakes. Smoked my engine from booster hose.

Sooo the question is, how can i determine where the booster is leaking? I heard that those booster leaks are pretty hard to determine.

Thanks for your answers mates!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Edvis1599; 05-22-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Edvis1599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:40 AM   #2
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Smoke testing a power brake booster can be difficult. The first problem is the plastic fitting on the brake booster is a one way check valve that will not let smoke into the power brake booster. Also some of the boosters do not leak as much when the brakes are not applied. Then you may have to get a good light up under the dash and have someone looking near the brake pushrod for leaks while someone else applies smoke to the power brake booster unless you have an automated smoke machine and a fitting for the brake booster that does not have a check valve inside.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1057387

Fuel pump failures -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Temp Info -

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:29 AM   #3
Bidno

My Ride: 2002 325i
Used section of hose with attached funnel to listen for, then locate/isolate vacuum leaks in engine compartment. Might help to locate while someone else works the brake. GL
Bidno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #4
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Power brake booster will "leak" vacuum inside cabin. under dashboard.

One simple test is remove the power brake booster input check valve after engine has been off for 5 minutes or more and listen for the "whoosh" of air or release of vacuum. 30+ minutes is probably a better length of time for the test.

Power brake booster should hold vacuum overnight or longer without a problem.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 05-22-2018 at 08:52 AM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 Track Car
It's not uncommon for the booster to leak. We've taken apart the few we've replaced for a forensic inspection, with nothing remarkable found. Our evaluation is the diaphragm wears and leaks around the two studs inside and around the central shaft.

BEFORE you replace the booster, check for a vacuum line (E46 variant dependent) that resides just above the carpet line under the booster to the left of the gas pedal. We have seen a few of those (if equipped) leak and give rise to a false booster replacement diagnosis.

Another side effect of a booster leak is fuel trims fall out of tolerance and can/will set a check engine light.

Cars with the ABS/DSC unit on the right side have it easy, ones with the unit under the booster make replacement/bleeding more difficult.
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #6
TrentW

My Ride: 89 325is 04 325xiT
Was ready to order a new booster this morning after having a situation yesterday where the pedal just lost firmness and went like 3/4 of the way to the floor.
Went out just now to see if I could determine a leak and...pedal is firm again and brakes seem to be working fine on a test drive.
Thinking I'll replace the check valve since it's easy and inexpensive. I'm not absolutely sure, but seems unlikely that the booster would leak one day and then not leak the next, and if it was the booster leaking, wouldn't the pedal go hard rather than soft and towards the floor?
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote