Final Word On Upgrading the SOS Mirror? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #1
TrentW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 123
My Ride: 89 325is 04 325xiT
Final Word On Upgrading the SOS Mirror?

So our 05 Touring was totaled last month (sad trombone), but now have an 04 325xiT and looking to add Homelink/auto dim mirror since the mirror in the car is missing the clown nose and doesn't auto dim.
The current mirror is the SOS model and also equipped with rain sensor option-which I love, don't know why others feel differently...but I digress.
I recall when I upgraded the other car which was also SOS mirror, some were saying even with removing pins #4 and #7 if it was originally SOS & rain sensor equipped, the upgrade mirror would not work.
I've tried many searches, but SOS won't come up in the word search cause it's too few letters and wondering if anyone can confidently assure me that the mirror upgrade will actually work? Ready to spend $100 for the Homelink/Auto dim mirror and don't really want to fry the auto dimmer...
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
dutchhome
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 429
My Ride: 2004 330xi
For what it's worth, with different cars I both upgraded to the homelink mirrors as well as simply added a wired in garage door opener and I personally prefer the separate opener. Something like this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202585787533
dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA
 
Overboost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 3,304
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentW View Post
So our 05 Touring was totaled last month (sad trombone), but now have an 04 325xiT and looking to add Homelink/auto dim mirror since the mirror in the car is missing the clown nose and doesn't auto dim.
The current mirror is the SOS model and also equipped with rain sensor option-which I love, don't know why others feel differently...but I digress.
I recall when I upgraded the other car which was also SOS mirror, some were saying even with removing pins #4 and #7 if it was originally SOS & rain sensor equipped, the upgrade mirror would not work.
I've tried many searches, but SOS won't come up in the word search cause it's too few letters and wondering if anyone can confidently assure me that the mirror upgrade will actually work? Ready to spend $100 for the Homelink/Auto dim mirror and don't really want to fry the auto dimmer...
If your original mirror in your car you have now was SOS than you will need to remove those pins 4-7 if upgrading to a non-SOS mirror. If the car you have now did not have SOS then it will not be wired for SOS and you can just plug the connector in. There is no rain sensor function in the mirror, the RLS attaches to the front windshield and the housing for the mirror is bigger to cover the sensor on the windshield.

The options for mirrors were Auto dim, compass, garage door opener, clown nose and SOS
__________________

  • To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  • To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Overboost; 02-15-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-17-2019, 12:13 AM   #4
TrentW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 123
My Ride: 89 325is 04 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchhome View Post
For what it's worth, with different cars I both upgraded to the homelink mirrors as well as simply added a wired in garage door opener and I personally prefer the separate opener. [/url]
I know, I was thinking the same thing, but my auto-dim is not functioning cause the clown nose is broken off, and my wife says she liked the compass mirror, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
If your original mirror in your car you have now was SOS than you will need to remove those pins 4-7 if upgrading to a non-SOS mirror. If the car you have now did not have SOS then it will not be wired for SOS and you can just plug the connector in. There is no rain sensor function in the mirror, the RLS attaches to the front windshield and the housing for the mirror is bigger to cover the sensor on the windshield.

The options for mirrors were Auto dim, compass, garage door opener, clown nose and SOS
Thanks gentlemen, appreciated.
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:56 PM   #5
TrentW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 123
My Ride: 89 325is 04 325xiT
So I finally got the auto-dim mirror installed tonight, but the radio won't work. Says "WAIT" and if I push the MODE button, it says "BMW ASSIST NOT WORKING" or something like that.

Guessing I need to clear something...but unable to find any answers through searching. Advice?
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:35 AM   #6
dutchhome
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 429
My Ride: 2004 330xi
Check out this thread. There are some wiring issues you need to deal with when changing from BMW assist to a homelink mirror.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=601674
dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:14 AM   #7
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D
 
BaliDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 9,435
My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentW View Post
I've tried many searches, but SOS won't come up in the word search cause it's too few letters...
If you were using the e46fanatics Search page, I suggest to just Google instead. It will search more forums, is much faster, and doesn't suffer from all the limitations and bugs this site's Search has.

You can tell Google to search a specific site by adding the site:e46fanatics.com term to your query, as in the following example.
SOS mirror swap site:e46fanatics.com

Demonstrated on lmgtfy.com: http://bfy.tw/Mxi6
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 03-28-2019 at 08:18 AM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #8
TrentW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 123
My Ride: 89 325is 04 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchhome View Post
Check out this thread. There are some wiring issues you need to deal with when changing from BMW assist to a homelink mirror.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=601674
Well the radio started working on it's own now-don't know why or how, but it's working. Auto dim is good also, and compass is on, but direction is incorrect. I think I just need to drive it around for awhile?
Tried to program the Homelink, but no luck. I see posts about disconnecting TCU-what is this? I have a 2004 Touring and supposedly it's located under the panel just in front of the spare tire, but there is nothing there.
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #9
TrentW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 123
My Ride: 89 325is 04 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
If you were using the e46fanatics Search page, I suggest to just Google instead. It will search more forums, is much faster, and doesn't suffer from all the limitations and bugs this site's Search has.

You can tell Google to search a specific site by adding the site:e46fanatics.com term to your query, as in the following example.
SOS mirror swap site:e46fanatics.com

Demonstrated on lmgtfy.com: http://bfy.tw/Mxi6
Excellent--thank you for this!
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:12 AM   #10
dutchhome
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 429
My Ride: 2004 330xi
Quote:
Well the radio started working on it's own now-don't know why or how, but it's working. Auto dim is good also, and compass is on, but direction is incorrect. I think I just need to drive it around for awhile?
There is a write-up somewhere that explains how to do it. I think it involves driving in circles. Best to just search for calibrating mirror compass.


Quote:
Tried to program the Homelink, but no luck. I see posts about disconnecting TCU-what is this? I have a 2004 Touring and supposedly it's located under the panel just in front of the spare tire, but there is nothing there.
The TCU is the box in the left side of the trunk/boot that performs the cell phone and SOS functionality. It typically sits on top of the radio amplifier bracket.
dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:12 PM   #11
TrentW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 123
My Ride: 89 325is 04 325xiT
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190330_163613.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	771555

This is it then?
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:36 PM   #12
dutchhome
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 429
My Ride: 2004 330xi
No, that's not the TCU. It looks like your amplifier is to the right. Can you take a picture from further away so we can see everything? The TCU is likely a long silver rectangular box with a 54 pin connector on one end and a few antenna connectors on the other end.
dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:43 PM   #13
dutchhome
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 429
My Ride: 2004 330xi
Your TCU will likely look like one of these two. The longer one is the older style and the shorter one is the newer one.
dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:07 AM   #14
TrentW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 123
My Ride: 89 325is 04 325xiT
Here's the left side...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190331_180905.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	771631

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20190331_181305.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	771633

nothing anywhere in rear cargo area that looks like that.

Just the HK amp and whatever the small box up above it.
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #15
TrentW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 123
My Ride: 89 325is 04 325xiT
I've found no TCU box in my 04 Touring.

Found the white Homelink connector in headliner, but ****ed up two of the metal connectors trying to remove them, so I ordered the wire loom with 10 pin connector and did a temp hook-up with just the green/blue in #3 and brown wire in #10 from the white connector, bypassing the other 10 pin connector altogether.

The compass didn't illuminate when I turned the key on.

Just to clarify, all I should need to power the mirror auto-dim, compass and Homelink buttons are the green/blue and brown wires from the white connector and none of the wires from the 10 pin black connector?
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone take apart their side mirror? jpilk99 General E46 Forum 2 02-12-2019 07:17 PM
news on final fantasy XII bmwti General Off-Topic 13 11-21-2003 12:04 AM
Got The Final Word On The Subframe Damage From The Dealership bimmerchop General E46 Forum 6 01-29-2003 09:02 PM
Final word on Alcantara or Suede SMG Wheels Please READ. Mr Paddle.Shift General E46 Forum 10 10-10-2002 11:28 PM
Need help upgrading 330xi harmon kardon radio to aftermarket gsnav General E46 Forum 0 06-24-2002 12:44 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.