Weekend Xi Maintenance Thread....... - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
77'911

Weekend Xi Maintenance Thread.......

With the new Conti Winters on , an oil service, plugs, wipers, filters done last week, the car has stabilized reasonably well(no DTC's). Going to tackle changing the p/s fluid and trans fluid this weekend.
I'm finding as I age though, my propensity for doing loads of DIY in the garage in the winter is diminishing(even with a heater, not terribly effective). ; ) Thought I'd post this and see what everybody else is doing on their Xi. Have a good weekend everyone.
Regards
77'911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
jmenacker

My Ride: 2002 325Xi
Transmission: Manual 5 Spd
Now that I'm well into sixth decade, winter wrenching is avoided whenever possible. PM work is done from mid-April to mid November and hope for smooth sailing through winter months - other than oil changes (150 mi/day commuter car) but with a Mity-Vac oil changes don't require getting intimate with cold concrete.
VCG, T'stat, Engine coolant temp sensor and disa were done in past month or so. New tires going on this week. Pads 'n rotors are planned before December.
My son has the 325Xi. I switched to electric for my daily a few years ago and have been fortunate enough to enjoy pretty much zero maintenance ever since.

Joe M in WV
jmenacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
jagmandan

My Ride: E46 325xit -> 330xit
After doing a 3.0l/6-speed swap last winter, the things I want to tackle this winter are a rear suspension & subframe bushing replacement, and finishing the conversion to 330 brakes. I find the summer weather and daylight too valuable here in the PNW to get involved in big indoor garage jobs, so I suck it up in the cold over the winter.
jagmandan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #4
77'911

Ordered a new exhaust cam sensor and crankshaft sensor as preventative maintenance. The intake cam sensor went about 6 months ago. The Peake code readers cam in handy here. With my better half commuting with the xi, I thought it's cheap insurance after 17 years. Since jagmandan is putting me to shame, I'll do these in the 30-40 degree weather. ; )
regards
Old 10-19-2019, 11:31 PM   #5
jagmandan

My Ride: E46 325xit -> 330xit
Haha, only working on my fourth decade so maybe by my sixth I'll be on the no winter wrenching plan.
jagmandan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:35 AM   #6
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
I'm 80% of the way through my 6th decade and I don't do any more DIYs in the winter than I have to. Helped a friend do RTABs on Sunday and did a front axle on mine on Monday. I could feel it today and I'm not looking forward to rebuilding the rear calipers with overnight temps dropping into the teens this week. Luckily my garage is well insulated and easy to heat, cold floors though.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 325xi auto Stahlgrau

1998 328is 5sp
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #7
Brewtus79

My Ride: M3 Convertible
Year: 2002
Model: M3
Transmission: 6 spd manual
Just starting my 4th decade and my upper forearms are not real fans of wrenching anymore.

Have an alignment lined up for tomorrow after replacing tierods, control arms, CA bushings, inner ball joints, 1/2 shafts, bearing pedestal, struts, springs, sway bar links and bushings, wheel brgs in the 8 months or so. New winter skins on Friday since the fronts are pretty well shot after 30k miles. Have all the parts for a VANOS rebuild, but will tackle that later this winter when I have more interest. Due for an oil change anytime now also.

Went w the Continental Vikings. Anyone have any experience w them? Had a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw winters on a 2010 TDI that served me well, but figured I'd try something new since I've had good experiences with other Contis since then.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Brewtus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:47 PM   #8
jmo69

I've got General Ultimax Artics and love them, I've run my e36 with just a pair of Blizzaks on the back with good luck when they were newer.

Bad outer xi ball joint?

1998 328is 5sp
Old 11-08-2019, 06:04 AM   #9
Brewtus79

My Ride: M3 Convertible
Year: 2002
Model: M3
Transmission: 6 spd manual
Thank you for the input. I went w Gen. Altimax RT43's when i bought the xi about 30k miles ago and dont have any complaints. Never had blizzaks, but have always heard positive reviews of them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Brewtus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:41 PM   #10
jmo69

I've got lots of tread left on the Blizzaks but they're old and getting hard. My Cont DWS's would probably work as well in lesser snowfalls.

Bad outer xi ball joint?

1998 328is 5sp
Old 11-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #11
77'911

Got the new exhaust cam and crankshaft sensors done on our MY02 330xi. Both were done way back in the day, at least by the prod dates(2003/2004) on the parts pulled. Glad I did the exhaust cam sensor as it was the old style version and the o-ring seal was weeping a bit. The last thing I need is my better half getting stuck on her commute. We already replaced the intake cam sensor, as the old unit started sending DTC's to the ECU. Hoping to get some time to tackle the transfer case mount and driveshaft components.
regards