2002 M3 headlight modification - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018, 07:41 PM   #1
nmanestar

My Ride: 2002 M3
2002 M3 headlight modification

Hey all, I live in the back woods of Tennessee, where there are no lit roads. To improve the visibility of night driving, I was hoping to be able to utilize both the HIDs and the halogen brights at the same time. I know that the normal brights are just the HIDs being cranked up a notch, and pulling the stock back to flash turns on the halogens. Is there anyway of re-wiring them, potentially at the stalk, to make it so that both the HIDs and the halogens come on when you push the stalk forward? Or would this be a bad idea because of too much heat or load on the electronics.
nmanestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:46 PM   #2
BUSHHAWG

My Ride: e92M3, e46 M3, X3
Xenon and Halogens

This is easily coded but you need to be set up with software/hardware to do it. Find someone close by to do it for you. 10 minute job,
BUSHHAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
armenh7

My Ride: 325i (Turbo M54B30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHHAWG View Post
This is easily coded but you need to be set up with software/hardware to do it. Find someone close by to do it for you. 10 minute job,
In pa soft I haven't seen any options to all own bixenons and high beams. Maybe in ncs-expert although I haven't checked. Do you have any tips? I'm pretty good with the software but haven't gotten too deep with the op's situation
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 03:54 AM   #4
Commando

My Ride: E46 M + E92 M
Year: '03
My car pulls the shutters and brings on the halogen highs. This may be standard for all non-US cars.
Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
nmanestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHHAWG View Post
Sounds good.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
Solidjake
Shifting

My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
Tap the bi-xenon shutter and wire it to the high beams as a trigger wire. When you push forward and activate the bi-xenon shutter the inner high beam will come on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

-
-

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #7
nmanestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Tap the bi-xenon shutter and wire it to the high beams as a trigger wire. When you push forward and activate the bi-xenon shutter the inner high beam will come on.
huh Iíll give that a shot first. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:29 AM   #8
jessemu

My Ride: e46 320CI
Quote:
Solidjake,

If I tap the highbeam wire and connect it to the bi-xenon solenoid and NOT plug in the halogen connector at all, thus re routing the halogen highbeam to the solenoid, would I have a functioning Bi-xenon highbeam when I push the stalk?

Would I get a bulb out message as the halogen isn't plugged in?

Would it damage the solenoid?
jessemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:30 AM   #9
armenh7

My Ride: 325i (Turbo M54B30)
Maybe consider this? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-morimoto...SABEgKQafD_BwE

Not so complicated install of BMW Tools (Windows XP, 7, and 10)

PA Soft
Driver:

Program:
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:56 AM   #10
Solidjake
Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmanestar View Post
huh Iíll give that a shot first. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemu View Post
Solidjake,

If I tap the highbeam wire and connect it to the bi-xenon solenoid and NOT plug in the halogen connector at all, thus re routing the halogen highbeam to the solenoid, would I have a functioning Bi-xenon highbeam when I push the stalk?

Would I get a bulb out message as the halogen isn't plugged in?

Would it damage the solenoid?
I will text me friend who did this and let you know. Standby.

-
-

-
-

Old 01-07-2018, 10:54 PM   #11
Commando

My Ride: E46 M + E92 M
Year: '03
Quote:
A good concept but not so easy with the factory bi-xe lights shutter control wiring.

If you did find a feed I'd suggest adding a relay so the headlights 5A does not get lumped onto the shutter control electronics. Leaving the inner headlights connected will back feed +Bat into the existing circuitry - needs investigation as this may cause an issue.
Disconnecting the inner headlights will look like an open filament and consequently throw a warning on the dash. Plus you will lose your monitoring. Try it.
Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #12
Solidjake
Shifting

My friend ran a jumper wire from the high beam positive wire to the bi-xenon shutter positive wire. He got the information from the forum member Parakalas or something like that.

-
-

-
-

Tags
brights, headlights, rewiring