DIY: Non-Heated to Heated Seat Retrofit!! Lots of Pics!!! - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #61
carfanatic76

My Ride: 1997 BMW M3
I bought the kit from heatedseats.com and I don't recommend them. They just didn't heat up. I even tested them by putting them on top of the seat and it took over 2 minutes to feel any temperature change. They never got hot. This was not an install error. They just aren't up to the quality of OEM. Granted they have different versions and mine was the middle of the road. I felt it still didn't qualify as a 'heated seat'.

I ended up upgrading by doing the wiring (thanks ivegotissues!!) and buying used heated sport seats on ebay ($600). My wife loves them!!. The facory seats seem to have heat every where. Lower thigh, upper back plus all regular places.
carfanatic76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:36 AM   #62
Stevo1111

My Ride: 330I
Thanks for the review of the seatheaterkit anyone else have any experience with these ?
Stevo1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #63
freeportd

My Ride: 325xi
heatedseats.com kits - feedback

Yes, carfanatic76 is right, the heatedseats.com kit isn't like an oem heated seat. My wife's Subaru produces heat within a minute and produces far more heat than the elements from heatedseats.com. They're much slower and never produce the heat level of the Subaru. Still, it's better than nothing.

For those ready to take this DIY on, you can make it look oem if you take your time. But those hog rings and listing wires do make for a challenge. I found working side to side to be the easiest - but a helper can be very...helpful.

I got mine off ebay and paid about $60 per side if I remember correctly. Far cheaper than replacement seats - but somewhat you get what you pay for.

Chuck
freeportd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #64
jacclark

My Ride: 2004 e46 M3
Great DIY - thanks!

I've been trying to find OEM heating baffles but no luck - send me a PM if you know of any!
jacclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #65
Alex323Ci
OE ///MEMBER PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666 View Post
Alright it's finally put to rest Heated Seat Retrofit. So here goes my DIY with lots of pictures documenting my process, materials/tools used and needed.
Parts Needed:
3. Wiring, Fuses, Butt-Connectors/Quick disconnects, Zip Ties and various OEM BMW specfic connectors/pinouts - Already had so $0 for me!
Here are some pictures:

Quote:
To Passenger seat Side:
B4 - Ground (BR) - Under Pass Side Skirt (B2 <---> B4)
To Driver seat Side:
A4 - Ground (BR) - Under Driver Side Skirt (A2
Step 6: Removing Glove Box and Driver side steering column panel, both are held in by philips head screws. Now lets start making your wiring harness.
Brown - 3 ft (Ground Wire) - Pin 24 at the Drivers Seat Plug

Great write-up. Had a few questions, hope you can help. I can't seem to find in the ETK which are the blade/spade connectors you used for the grounding plug. In the picture it doesn't show the part number of the bag. I want as oem as possible, and that seems to be the last one I need.

I have listed bag 61.13.8.364.842 for the connectors under the seat and to the fusebox right?

And 61.13.0.005.197 for the #15 slot K-Bus connector under the seat(added for my memory power seat retrofit DIY, not this heated DIY). Now will the earlier .842 connector connect to the fusebox K-Bus comb? Or do I need another connector for that side?

Lastly, just need the two grounding blade connector #s to insert in the grounding block/nest. Thanks so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #66
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Alex,

Sent you a PM

Jared

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:06 AM   #67
Alex323Ci
OE ///MEMBER PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Alex,
Sent you a PM
Jared
Jared,
You Da Man
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #68
mop

My Ride: 318D
Great DIY.. I am in the process of making this DIY and I have a small question!

I have installed some used seats with heated seats, Got the retrofit cable and a new centre console with the panel. Unfortunate my car don't have the X275 plug in the car for the drivers seat. My car is wired directly to the seatbelt holder. I am looking for the Part number for the complete plug that fits the plug in the seat!

Can anyone help? I haven't been successful with the ETK..
mop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:41 PM   #69
sam

My Ride: E92 SB 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mop View Post
Great DIY.. I am in the process of making this DIY and I have a small question!

I have installed some used seats with heated seats, Got the retrofit cable and a new centre console with the panel. Unfortunate my car don't have the X275 plug in the car for the drivers seat. My car is wired directly to the seatbelt holder. I am looking for the Part number for the complete plug that fits the plug in the seat!

Can anyone help? I haven't been successful with the ETK..
Is this what you're looking for?

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:54 AM   #70
mop

My Ride: 318D
YES!! Is there a Partnumber on the plug and cover? I just answered your PM but I think I misunderstood you!
mop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #71
jwiley

My Ride: 1999 323i
Man. I'd love to have heated seats. I just gotta figure out if I'm capable of pulling this one off.

Very good write up though. Also, just because people don't comment on a DIY doesn't mean they don't like or appreciate it. I would look at the number of views as the greater barometer of the level of appreciation. Just my observation.
jwiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #72
royalratch

My Ride: 03 320d SE Touring
Hello.

I just wanted to know a few questions as you seem to be the master of all things heated seats!

I have purchased the BMW retrofit heated wiring/switch kit. My friend also happens to be a professional auto-trimmer.
He has some good quality German heating elements that he can fit into my seats - they are 12V and he uses them regularly in customers cars.

1) Do any 12V elements work - what did you use?
2) Is the retrofit kit just plug and play - assuming I can 'connect' it to the non - OEM elements. How would I do that?

Many thanks.
royalratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #73
royalratch

Anyone?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:31 AM   #74
fu98

My Ride: 2002 m3 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalratch View Post
Anyone?
i would say that they would work.. most electrical connections are only two wires.. a ground and a hot.. but the trick would be to find which is which...

i did a heated seat retrofit to my 02 m3 but i used all oem parts... so i dont have the experience wiring up something completely off the shelf.. but from all the electrical components i have worked with, they all seem pretty simple..
fu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:29 AM   #75
royalratch

You're right, one is ground and one is live but sometimes there's a 3rd or 4th to check for continuity or temp etc.

How would I find which one is ground/hot?

You did a factory retrofit - means you must have has hated seats to start with - as E46 elements are now fused into the leather/fabric so if you retrofit from scratch you end up paying for all new upholstery.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #76
fu98

Quote:
You're right, one is ground and one is live but sometimes there's a 3rd or 4th to check for continuity or temp etc.

You did a factory retrofit - means you must have has hated seats to start with - as E46 elements are now fused into the leather/fabric so if you retrofit from scratch you end up paying for all new upholstery.
i would think that you would need some kind of tester but then i dont know how a hot wire would test differently from a ground wire..i forgot about the temperature wire.. if you have the oem console switch then there is a 3rd wire but i still think only two go to the seat.. let look at my pictures..

i used oem factory heated seats, bought the complete wiring harness from a heated seat car, bought the oem factory heated sweat switch from ebay... it was really easy, just tedious and time consuming pulling all the old wires from the old harness without messing them up...
Old 10-23-2008, 08:58 AM   #77
fu98

Quote:

ok i understand your dilemma now. you have non oem heated seat inserts (baffle, heating pad, whatever you call it) and you are trying to mate them with the oem wiring. that is going to be damn hard to do unless you have a guide to the connectors or a listing of which wires is which. if the connectors didnt match up that is easy just remove them and splice them to the oem wires, but you ALREADY know this . i have no idea how you would find that out other than talking to the manufacturer of your baffles. good luck with it..

from my experience it is just plug and play providing you can wire all the connections properly. if you have electric powered seats you will already have the wiring from the console switch to the fuse box (at least i did) i even had the heated seat wiring from the console to the fuse box, which was unexpected. so i just had to run the wire from the seats to the console.. didnt have to run any wires to the fuse box..

Last edited by fu98; 10-23-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #78
royalratch

My car had electric seats and was swapped with a near new set of Sports Seats.
I will use the full OEM wiring kit.

The aftermarket elements clearly show which wires are live and which are earth - it doesn't matter which way you wore them up either.

What I need to know is which wire on the E46 side are live/earth. But if you say the loom only delivers 2 wires to the seats then we are in good shape!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #79
fu98

Quote:

The aftermarket elements clearly show which wires are live and which are earth - it doesn't matter which way you wore them up either.

What I need to know is which wire on the E46 side are live/earth. But if you say the loom only delivers 2 wires to the seats then we are in good shape!
ok when you say e46 side.. do you mean the wiring to the console or to the seats or both?

Last edited by fu98; 10-23-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #80
fu98

Quote:

also if your car did not have heated seats you will have to run the wires from the console switch to the seats. so i cant tell you which wire it is because they are not there.. i can tell you the pin numbers to where they go but you have to run them yourself. is that confusing?

you should already have the wires from the fuse box to the console.. if not you will have to run them as well and this will suck great.