DIY: Post-Cat O2 Sensors + Pre-Cat O2 Sensors - Page 7 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3860 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #121
phoopsta

My Ride: 02 330xi 3-pedal
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
So no issues retaping the hole to make the new 02 sensor go in nicely?

Cause I honestly have a feeling I am going to run into this issue lol..
I ripped tho theads out, there was no way to save them with how tight those sensors were. I had to make sure the tap was straight. New sensors went in fine. I put a good amount of anti-seize in it this time. If you can, get your hands on a good o2 sensor socket, not the $10 ones from autozone, those will just strip. Also see if you can get a buddy to help my brother-in-law is a mechanic so I used his help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
phoopsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #122
jeepo23

My Ride: 2008 X3, 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopsta View Post
I ripped tho theads out, there was no way to save them with how tight those sensors were. I had to make sure the tap was straight. New sensors went in fine. I put a good amount of anti-seize in it this time. If you can, get your hands on a good o2 sensor socket, not the $10 ones from autozone, those will just strip. Also see if you can get a buddy to help my brother-in-law is a mechanic so I used his help.
Alright, quick question.. if you destroyed the threads and ripped them out. How were you able to get the thread retapped the same size to fit the new sensor?

Or am I missing something here? Know what I mean?
Old 09-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #123
phoopsta

My Ride: 02 330xi 3-pedal
Quote:
Alright, quick question.. if you destroyed the threads and ripped them out. How were you able to get the thread retapped the same size to fit the new sensor?

Or am I missing something here? Know what I mean?
I used a tap I dont remember the size on the top of my head. 18x1.5? Not sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
phoopsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #124
jeepo23

Well I just swapped this O2 sensor, what a bastard. I used a acetylene torch, along with a can of Freeze Out.

Finally it came out but the threads were somewhat destroyed. I managed to screw the new one in as far as it would go - good enough I think.

The light is still on, how long before that light shuts itself off? I am not at home so I didn't have access to my computer to reset the light that way. Could the light be staying on due to this cross threading thing now? I've only driven about 10km with the new sensor installed.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #125
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
Well I just swapped this O2 sensor, what a bastard. I used a acetylene torch, along with a can of Freeze Out.

Finally it came out but the threads were somewhat destroyed. I managed to screw the new one in as far as it would go - good enough I think.

The light is still on, how long before that light shuts itself off? I am not at home so I didn't have access to my computer to reset the light that way. Could the light be staying on due to this cross threading thing now? I've only driven about 10km with the new sensor installed.
IF the problem has cleared by replacing the O2 sensors, it will take between 20-40 start cycles for the light and codes to clear by themselves.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #126
jeepo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
IF the problem has cleared by replacing the O2 sensors, it will take between 20-40 start cycles for the light and codes to clear by themselves.

Wicked, thanks man yah I figured I haven't given the car enough drive cycles to clear on their own. Tmr when I return home I can also reset it using my scanner and see if it stays off or comes back on - I've had this light on for way too long so I'm quite excited to get it to turn off

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #127
jabela

My Ride: 2002 325ci
197K kms (122k miles) and started getting lean code and heater code on bank 2. Changed out both pre-cat sensors and now no codes. Thanks for the info. I tried to use a sensor socket, but it wasn't long enough for our sensors so had to use the crows foot wrench to do it.

I cleared my codes using the Torque app.

2002 BMW 325ci /// Sport Pkg /// 5 spd

Last edited by jabela; 04-04-2015 at 09:05 PM.
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #128
dailyegypt

My Ride: BMW
My 323 has 112,00 Just did my post-cats. I have not done my fronts. My mechanics says that most O2 sensors fail around 100K but some last much longer so it is best to wait for the SES light and codes to tell you they are bad and then just replace the bad ones. The pics on this thread are great. I used a short O2 crowsfoot socket and a 3/8 ratchet with a joint (pic) to get the one that sticks straight up. I used the deep O2 socket (pic) and a 3/8 ratchet for the one at an angle. To thread them through, I just cleaned off the exhaust end of the old sensor and taped the plug end of the new one to it. Then I had someone carefully pull the old one up from on top. I also found that I only needed to jack up the front driver's side of the car to get good clearance.
https://dailyegypt.net/

Last edited by dailyegypt; 09-22-2015 at 10:25 AM.
dailyegypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:13 PM   #129
clabcon

My Ride: e46 330 Ci
Have any of your guys done this on an E46 with a ZF 5HP19 transmission, if so what is the clearance like for the post-cat O2 sensors?
clabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:52 AM   #130
Archbid

My Ride: 330ci Convertible
Year: 03
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Just did this. I did not remove the reinforcement plate. Removed the front sensor with a 22mm open end wrench. The back one was trickier, bur I got it with a crows foot socket, a 3" extension and a breaker bar. Took about 15 minutes to remove both.

Much longer to thread the wires
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #131
Dimitar93

My Ride: 330ci
Does someone know for sure which connection for the post cats on top goes to which bank. I might have mixed mine up.
Dimitar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #132
sdbimmer

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
sdbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #133
Archbid

My Ride: 330ci Convertible
Year: 03
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Or, the O2 sensor that was more visible and easier to remove goes to the plug socket closer to the oil filter.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:08 PM   #134
aleksankazakov

My Ride: 04 E46 330i sport
Send a message via ICQ to aleksankazakov
Differences of Sensors of MS43 vs MS45 to consider

Just a quick FYI , I am sure this is all been in mind of this thread or at least in mind of those who read, but the steps here are for pre 2003 models that have 4 wire sensors, (the older E46s) the newer late 2003 and up cars have 6 wire sensors, that have different plugs, functions, MS 45 ECU and there is more to it. Again just FYI.
aleksankazakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #135
Herminshs

My Ride: 330Ci
I got what I was looking for, thanks
Herminshs is offline   Reply With Quote