Maybe a blown gasket? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
rozdogjr

My Ride: 2005 bmw 330i
Year: 2005
Model: 330i
Transmission: auto
Maybe a blown gasket?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0603.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	796711

Name:	IMG_0604.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	796713

Long story short, Driving to work 2 days before Christmas and after driving for about 3 mins i start to notice the car was struggling to shift gears and it was losing power, then i noticed a huge amount of pure white smoke starts coming from every where so I pulled it over and had it towed back home. I get home and the oil cap was completely white with moisture. It hadn't been moved since about a week ago. I finally have some time with the virus closing down my work and I took off the valve cover and this is what i found. Now to preface this, There is no smell of coolant or anything it smells more like burnt metal than anything. Also the coolant shows no sign of oil or anything. And yes i tried to start it and it would only crank a couple times then stop. I checked the spark plugs and they were covered in oil (no smell or sign of coolant in the combustion chamber). Im going to continue to take apart the top end until so it's easier to work on if it is the headgasket that blew.

Any help would be appreciated!
rozdogjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #2
Effduration

My Ride: '05 330CiC
How cold was it 2 days before Christmas? I am inclined to think it is your CCV...in cold weather, a tired CCV can clog, freeze up, and suck oil into the intake. How old is your CCV?
Effduration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:19 PM   #3
rozdogjr

My Ride: 2005 bmw 330i
Year: 2005
Model: 330i
Transmission: auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effduration View Post
How cold was it 2 days before Christmas? I am inclined to think it is your CCV...in cold weather, a tired CCV can clog, freeze up, and suck oil into the intake. How old is your CCV?
it was about 20F and also Im assuming never since the previous dealership didnt have any service info neither did my local BMW dealership, and now that you mention that i took off the disa control unit and found this Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0606.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	796721

also to be 100% honest I didnt even know where the CCV unit was on the engine but here's a pic of it. So im assuming it sucked up oil into the intake which burnt it while going through the combustion chamber then exhaust (thus the white smoke) and to remedy the problem I replace the CCV system and clean out my intake manifold and hope for the best?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0605.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	796719  

Last edited by rozdogjr; 03-28-2020 at 04:31 PM.
rozdogjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #4
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
I would take the spark plugs out and inspect the chambers.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Are you getting hot air no matter where you set your A/C in your E46? Check out this ancient thread! Chime in with your experience:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Yeah, all the signs of a classic CCV failure. As long as you shut it off soon enough, there should be no reason you lifted the head by trying to compress oil (it won't compress oil and the results are lifting the head off the block damaging the head gasket).

Pull the plugs and crank it over to purge any oil in the cylinders. Run a compression check or leak down test to see if there has been permanent damage.

You may get lucky but you will be dealing with oil in the exhaust for hours. Keep an eye on the catalytic converters, they hate oil.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 03-28-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #6
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Yeah, all the signs of a classic CCV failure. As long as you shut it off soon enough, there should be no reason you lifted the head by trying to compress oil (it won't compress oil and the results are lifting the head off the block damaging the head gasket).

Pull the plugs and crank it over to purge any oil in the cylinders. Run a compression check or leak down test to see if there has been permanent damage.

You may get lucky but you will be dealing with oil in the exhaust for hours. Keep an eye on the catalytic converters, they hate oil.
^^^I agree with this.
The yellow mayo is the classic condensation/oil mix and the oily dirty intake chamber is common.

I would not pull any more parts off until you’ve cleaned the plugs and cylinders, and done comp and LD tests.

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:21 PM   #7
frontman

My Ride: 2001 330i
When my CCV went, it also left the crankcase get pressurized and my valve cover gasket leaked oil on the passenger side - a lot. So once ya get things figured out, I would replace it also.
Look up CCV delete. That's the rout I went.
frontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:34 PM   #8
EmFiftyFour

My Ride: 03' 330xi auto
Wow had no idea the CCV can cause a head gasket to blow. Than again, I never thought a misfire can cause a head gasket to blow either(what happened to me in 2010). Fun times.

What does one look for when a CCV is failing? I'd rather replace mines before this happens.

Last edited by EmFiftyFour; 03-28-2020 at 10:35 PM.
EmFiftyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:01 AM   #9
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmFiftyFour View Post
Wow had no idea the CCV can cause a head gasket to blow. Than again, I never thought a misfire can cause a head gasket to blow either(what happened to me in 2010). Fun times.

What does one look for when a CCV is failing? I'd rather replace mines before this happens.
The common failure is the CCV getting filled up with mayo which is condensation and oil mixture. The build up is from short drives and the engine never reaching operating temperatures to burn off the condensation.

When winter hits and ambient temperatures are below 30 degrees F, the mayo freezes and the hoses and ports are clogged resulting in the intake manifold vacuum sucking the oil from the oil pan through the dipstick tube directly into the engine.

No Fear

Old 03-29-2020, 05:08 AM   #10
BaliDawg
Here to serve y’all

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
I saw the mayo in that video link screen cap, and thought of the old mustard TV ad.
"Excuse me good sir, but do you have any Grey Poupon?"

Last edited by BaliDawg; 03-29-2020 at 05:09 AM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:33 AM   #11
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
I saw the mayo in that video link screen cap, and thought of the old mustard TV ad.
"Excuse me good sir, but do you have any Grey Poupon?"
Ha, we are showing our age. Only us old guys will remember that commercial.

No Fear

Old 03-29-2020, 11:42 PM   #12
darkfires102

My Ride: 325xi, '07 E60 M5
Year: 2003
Transmission: 5spd Manual
CCV failed and probably flooded the cylinders with oil. I'd pull plugs, inspect plugs for fouling, replace as needed, then crank the engine over without plugs to blast most of the oil out. New CCV is definitely in check.
darkfires102 is offline   Reply With Quote