Question regarding changing transmission mounts? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2020, 10:43 AM   #1
Lforter

Question regarding changing transmission mounts?

I am the owner of an e46 automatic 325 05 cabrio, with all the quarantine going on I have the time to replace some things, I was wondering if all the car is needed to be jacked up (4 points) in order to change transmission mounts or can I jack just the front of the vehicle (2 jack stands on each side of the front) and a jack and a block of wood holding the trans? I am afraid the trans will come off because the car is not leveled (tilted?) and a jack is not enough.

I dont have 4 jack stands, that's the reason I am not doing it leveled...
Lforter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
tommy d

My Ride: 2005 330i
I would have the car up on all 4 corners. You can use ramps either on the front or back and jack stands on the other end, if you have them.
tommy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
Newbimer

My Ride: 2005 325i
The motor mounts hold the engine in position, the trany's bell housing is bolted to the engine, so its not going anywhere. All you need to do is support the trany to re/re the mounts. Just don't jack it up like crazy, just enough to do what you need to, same goes when dropping it, slow and easy.
Newbimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lforter View Post
I am the owner of an e46 automatic 325 05 cabrio, with all the quarantine going on I have the time to replace some things, I was wondering if all the car is needed to be jacked up (4 points) in order to change transmission mounts or can I jack just the front of the vehicle (2 jack stands on each side of the front) and a jack and a block of wood holding the trans? I am afraid the trans will come off because the car is not leveled (tilted?) and a jack is not enough.

I dont have 4 jack stands, that's the reason I am not doing it leveled...
As long as you can fit you are fine, but Id get the jack stands. You will use them.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:24 PM   #5
Lforter

I have the intention to buy the rest of the jack stands. When the quarantine is over I will do it, meanwhile I will tackle this DIY tomorrow w only 2 jacks on the front. Thanks guys.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:28 PM   #6
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
Believe it or not not all jack stands are the same height. If you ever want the car perfectly level you might try to get the same brand when you buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Are you getting hot air no matter where you set your A/C in your E46? Check out this ancient thread! Chime in with your experience:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #7
Newbimer

One last note..make sure you chock both rear wheels securely in position after you raise it to full height!
Old 03-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #8
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
One tip for you: If the nuts holding the mounts to the transmission are too tight to get loose, use a box end 13mm wrench on the nut and a 1/2" breaker bar on the other end of the wrench.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #9
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:
I have the intention to buy the rest of the jack stands. When the quarantine is over I will do it, meanwhile I will tackle this DIY tomorrow w only 2 jacks on the front. Thanks guys.
Not sure where you are, but around here car repair is an "essential service" so if you are leaving the house for food, then picking up jack stands as well might not be an issue.

:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:36 PM   #10
BaliDawg
Here to serve yall

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverThis View Post
Not sure where you are, but around here car repair is an "essential service" so if you are leaving the house for food, then picking up jack stands as well might not be an issue.
And also...amazon.

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:30 PM   #11
LL i am

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
And also...amazon.

just make sure u disinfect the box before touching
LL i am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:46 AM   #12
sefeing

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
Year: 2002
Model: 325i
Transmission: Automatic
Depending on what trans you have, the higher you can get the car, the easier your life will be - I just did the mounts on my '02 sedan with the GM trans, and I couldn't utilize the same trick that 50's kid did on his ZF auto, simply because the clearances are slightly different between the two cars.

I ended up dropping the back half of the exhaust, pushing the heat shield back and using a 13MM wrench and some brute strength to get the top nuts loose. That also meant I just had to guesstimate how much force I was putting into it when I put them back on, since I couldn't get a torque wrench in there either w/o having to drop the driveshaft, which wasn't something I had the spare lock nuts to do

Last edited by sefeing; 03-29-2020 at 07:47 AM.
sefeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:57 PM   #13
Lforter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefeing View Post
Depending on what trans you have, the higher you can get the car, the easier your life will be - I just did the mounts on my '02 sedan with the GM trans, and I couldn't utilize the same trick that 50's kid did on his ZF auto, simply because the clearances are slightly different between the two cars.

I ended up dropping the back half of the exhaust, pushing the heat shield back and using a 13MM wrench and some brute strength to get the top nuts loose. That also meant I just had to guesstimate how much force I was putting into it when I put them back on, since I couldn't get a torque wrench in there either w/o having to drop the driveshaft, which wasn't something I had the spare lock nuts to do
Holy moly, I have the same automatic gm trans, it's ****ing tight in there, couldn't get it off, I sprayed some lubricant oil and gona let it sit all night, there's literally no space and im trying to reinvent myself in a proper way to loose thos top nuts.

My mounts were compeltely broken in half btw
Old 03-30-2020, 05:09 AM   #14
sefeing

Quote:
Holy moly, I have the same automatic gm trans, it's ****ing tight in there, couldn't get it off, I sprayed some lubricant oil and gona let it sit all night, there's literally no space and im trying to reinvent myself in a proper way to loose thos top nuts.

It was a pain, for sure- I just got a 13on and braced myself against the car & did it little by little. A friend leant his leverage for one of them too. Once they're free, it's not bad, since you dont unscrew completely
Old 03-30-2020, 05:35 AM   #15
LeverThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL i am View Post
just make sure u disinfect the box before touching

:

Old 03-30-2020, 05:44 AM   #16
WhitneyCarvalho

My Ride: BMW
Model: BMW X3
Yes. Several have done this job.
Well, if somebody could help with a tip, I'm all ears. The only thing I could think of is removing the exhaust and heatshields. Not sure this job is worth all that though.

https://cpstest.org

Last edited by WhitneyCarvalho; 04-02-2020 at 06:01 AM.
WhitneyCarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:51 AM   #17
LeverThis

Quote:

I ended up using a stubby 13mm wrench and maybe a hammer to break it free (dont recall exactly). Not sure if there is another way (besides removing exhaust). If you have an extra normal length 13 laying around you could cut it down.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Me...PCMM/202934539

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-St.../dp/B000HBC7EO

:

Last edited by LeverThis; 03-30-2020 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:34 AM   #18
sefeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverThis View Post
I ended up using a stubby 13mm wrench and maybe a hammer to break it free (dont recall exactly). Not sure if there is another way (besides removing exhaust). If you have an extra normal length 13 laying around you could cut it down.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Me...PCMM/202934539

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-St.../dp/B000HBC7EO
This would help, probably letting you get an extension + a breaker bar in there for some torque. It's a pain, it really is... especially on the GM transes
Old 03-30-2020, 08:08 AM   #19
Newbimer

Check out 14:57 on the video:

Old 03-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #20
curry

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I've done it twice. Once on my e46 and once on my e36. I was doing a manual. For more flexibility with the lift loosen the front top motor mounts. Leave the nut on the mount. Once you've done the tranny, retighten up the motor mounts using extensions.
curry is offline   Reply With Quote