COVID-19 The Corona Virus Thread - Page 38 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #741
MachRc
When Keepin' it real goes..

My Ride: 2009 E89 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Serious question, why do you need to keep going out?? Seems every day you need to go to another store, just looking out for you is all.
I went to the market when I posted photos from Walmart March 10th in this thread and haven't gone back until today. Went to Japanese market and it was full of milk eggs and papers of all kinds

Everyone was wearing masks and gloves. Maybe two people were not. And they looked in their 70s

I went to home depot to get a return line

I found leaking today in my water heater.

Picked up my z4 this monday after they swapped water pump e gine mounts and decided I can't do turbos now or the intercooler or inlets

And .....thats it !! I swear! And I had masks gloves and wipes and hand sanitizer arms length the whole way!!!

Luckily my neighborhood in the Sangra Valley
Has pretty low numbers. Probably because most Chinese people here are mandarin from Taiwan and not Cantonese from mainland China?

The market drew red lines with circles for checkout people to wait at. The circles all 6 feet away

I've had to clean my debit card twice today
With hand sanitizer. When the lady asked for my ID( I had debit all ready in my sweater pocket I said duck and pulled it out with my gloves the pgone wallet and believe me I sanitized that too.

Because real men don't call the plumber.

I may have remote issues with one end user so I may have to either go to the office or remote in to remote in tomorrow. Edit : I fixed it so I don't

I've been just playing games smoking pot cleaning the house like NO other.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"This is ten percent luck.. Twenty percent skill.. Fifteen percent concentrated power of will. Five percent pleasure..
Fifty percent pain. And a hundred percent reason to remember the name...."

Last edited by MachRc; 03-26-2020 at 08:31 PM.
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:56 PM   #742
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
I went to the market when I posted photos from Walmart March 10th in this thread and haven't gone back until today. Went to Japanese market and it was full of milk eggs and papers of all kinds

Everyone was wearing masks and gloves. Maybe two people were not. And they looked in their 70s

I went to home depot to get a return line

I found leaking today in my water heater.

Picked up my z4 this monday after they swapped water pump e gine mounts and decided I can't do turbos now or the intercooler or inlets

And .....thats it !! I swear! And I had masks gloves and wipes and hand sanitizer arms length the whole way!!!

Has pretty low numbers. Probably because most Chinese people here are mandarin from Taiwan and not Cantonese from mainland China?

The market drew red lines with circles for checkout people to wait at. The circles all 6 feet away

I've had to clean my debit card twice today
With hand sanitizer. When the lady asked for my ID( I had debit all ready in my sweater pocket I said duck and pulled it out with my gloves the pgone wallet and believe me I sanitized that too.

Because real men don't call the plumber.

I may have remote issues with one end user so I may have to either go to the office or remote in to remote in tomorrow. Edit : I fixed it so I don't

I've been just playing games smoking pot cleaning the house like NO other.

Shoulda done both while you were at it.

Have you ever changed the anode or drained the tank and removed sediment? Also if you have an expansion tank make sure that's not busted. Look up how to check the ET diaphragm online.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Solidjake; 03-27-2020 at 05:16 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:22 PM   #743
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
And remember that water heater is a 50 gallon source of clean water if SHTF.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:14 AM   #744
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
And remember that water heater is a 50 gallon source of clean water if SHTF.
Semi-clean. Have you ever seen the inside of a water heater after a few years?

SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #745
trizzuth

My Ride: Best M5 ever made
I have a like 80 year old Ruud Monel water tank heater. It's made from similar nickel/copper alloy material as the $25 E46 exhaust flange replacement bolts made of Inconel.

I fix everything myself, but did have a plumber come in once to replace the expansion relief valve as I was not fully certain that was the problem. He tried to tell me I needed to replace my tank asap, what LOL fest that was. They don't sell these type of tanks anymore as it would put the water tank heater companies out of business. If you ever need to replace and can find an old one like this, DO IT. You will never ever have to replace it ever again, only the fittings.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qgINUsahrdY/maxresdefault.jpg

In fact, it may outlast humanity at this point

2003 BMW E39 M5 - Current!
2001 BMW 330i - Totaled at 236K :(
1996 Mitsubishi Galant S - gone at 121K
1993 Volvo 850 GLT - gone at 89K
1987 BMW 325 - gone at 238K

Last edited by Solidjake; 03-27-2020 at 08:44 AM. Reason: image size
trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #746
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
I have a like 80 year old Ruud Monel water tank heater. It's made from similar nickel/copper alloy material as the $25 E46 exhaust flange replacement bolts made of Inconel.

I fix everything myself, but did have a plumber come in once to replace the expansion relief valve as I was not fully certain that was the problem. He tried to tell me I needed to replace my tank asap, what LOL fest that was. They don't sell these type of tanks anymore as it would put the water tank heater companies out of business. If you ever need to replace and can find an old one like this, DO IT. You will never ever have to replace it ever again, only the fittings.

In fact, it may outlast humanity at this point

HVAC and water heaters are a racket.

I got a tech to come out and he did a full diagnosis on my AC. He knows his stuff and so do I. Tells me the evap core is undersized for the condenser. I agree based on his delta T superheat, and subcooling measurements, but he says there's nothing they can do since it's R22 and has a guy come out to quote a system. $10K quote later lmao. No thx. You can get an R410a evaporator with a R22 valve kit. They recover the R22 when they do the work so the charge for refrigerant should be minimal. They said a new evap was not possible...bullshit. They also said the R22 is super expensive. That's true, but my system is overcharged now. I shouldn't have to buy any R22...

They also quoted $330 for a hard start kit and $170 for a condensate drain shutoff switch. The hard start hit is $25 and three wires. I bought a capacitor, HS kit, and contactor for $60 and installed them in about 30 minutes. Drain switch will come later.

I know if I'd ask a tech out for my hot water heater, they'd try to sell a new unit. $100 in parts for a new ET, heater elements, anode, and thermostats and it's good as new.

Last edited by WDE46; 03-27-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:44 AM   #747
Solidjake
Shifting

My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
On topic, this is a good read

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...us-end/608719/

-
-

-
-

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:00 AM   #748
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: M52TUB28-Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post

No dude, this is an error, at this point you can't (and shouldn't) point finger on asians
It is true that everything seems to have started there, but the contagion in the United States, as in the rest of the world, is carried out and amplified by those who do not respect the few simple rules imposed.
I have been trying to make you understand that in Italy we are having concrete results with the total lockdown especially after the people who refused to comply with them, in the end found themselves positive and clearly infected just as many.
stay home or stay in hospital (you or your family/friends), you choose
there's no way out.

Last edited by TheRiddle; 03-27-2020 at 09:00 AM.
TheRiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:17 AM   #749
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Thanks Jake,
Here is another good read.

https://www.lifeextension.com/protoc...gn=organicpost

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:20 AM   #750
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddle View Post
No dude, this is an error, at this point you can't (and shouldn't) point finger on asians
It is true that everything seems to have started there, but the contagion in the United States, as in the rest of the world, is carried out and amplified by those who do not respect the few simple rules imposed.
I have been trying to make you understand that in Italy we are having concrete results with the total lockdown especially after the people who refused to comply with them, in the end found themselves positive and clearly infected just as many.
there's no way out.
Mach is Asian

bgsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #751
Solidjake
Shifting

My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Thanks Jake,
Here is another good read.

https://www.lifeextension.com/protoc...gn=organicpost
Thanks man, I'll check it out later. I need a break from reading all about this

-
-

-
-

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #752
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Mach is Asian

****. Can you get CV through a forum?

Old 03-27-2020, 10:08 AM   #753
WDE46

Old 03-27-2020, 10:19 AM   #754
SamDoe1

My Ride: Economy Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post

I don't know what we're going to do with all the starbucks closed...

Also, please post bigger picture.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 03-27-2020 at 10:20 AM.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:25 AM   #755
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: 2008 e90 M3
Quote:
HVAC and water heaters are a racket.

I got a tech to come out and he did a full diagnosis on my AC. He knows his stuff and so do I. Tells me the evap core is undersized for the condenser. I agree based on his delta T superheat, and subcooling measurements, but he says there's nothing they can do since it's R22 and has a guy come out to quote a system. $10K quote later lmao. No thx. You can get an R410a evaporator with a R22 valve kit. They recover the R22 when they do the work so the charge for refrigerant should be minimal. They said a new evap was not possible...bullshit. They also said the R22 is super expensive. That's true, but my system is overcharged now. I shouldn't have to buy any R22...

They also quoted $330 for a hard start kit and $170 for a condensate drain shutoff switch. The hard start hit is $25 and three wires. I bought a capacitor, HS kit, and contactor for $60 and installed them in about 30 minutes. Drain switch will come later.

I know if I'd ask a tech out for my hot water heater, they'd try to sell a new unit. $100 in parts for a new ET, heater elements, anode, and thermostats and it's good as new.
i've been hearing a radio ad for a heating/cooling company... the R22 freon is banned in the US now?
so do you have to change your system next time you run out of R22? is R410a a different type of freon that's allowed?

XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #756
MachRc
When Keepin' it real goes..

My Ride: 2009 E89 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddle View Post
there's no way out.
A wild guess in why in the early stages like late January when we were not even worried about this virus

New York tends to have a alot bigger influx of people from mainland China compared to San Gabriel Valley where most are mandarin

I mean again because I've learned mandarin and they offered it as a language here in school
So I figure *opinion* there are more and I'm sure its true mandarin people here vs mainland Chinese
But of course

Most of the outbreak in socal early were tied to Korean people so its more our guards were down , and we found out late as you say Riddle

I think in socal California the social distancing is definitely improving the numbers.

I know testing isn't fully being prepared but still quite low numbers for San Gabriel Valley where alot of people thought it would be a hot spot since there are so many "asians"

Thanks for being an advocate on safety and teacher with your first hand experience and knowledge. As you and many here we all want each other to stay safe , be prepared,a most importantly have good working water heaters I truly appreciate everyone

As for the water heater !!!
I didn't do preventive maintenance on it
The rubber gasket was almost nonexistent and I should have replaced the cold water inlet tube thing too but I usually just fix what is broken.

I did flush and get a little sediment out first after turning off the heater and closing the water line.

The valves are okay its not excess pressure its just a drip leak

I even know how to copper weld with a torch for fitting letting o2 make the seals my neighbor was a plumber and taught me a whole bunch when I bought my first home in south central LA

I am the gardener
The pool boy
The Plumber
Father
Lover
The driver
Sometime winner
Mostly loser

I am the man

Good opinion about masks

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/o...ace-masks.html

Waiting on Cuomo , he's back at the temp shelter they've built.

"This is ten percent luck.. Twenty percent skill.. Fifteen percent concentrated power of will. Five percent pleasure..
Fifty percent pain. And a hundred percent reason to remember the name...."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #757
Black///M

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
Quote:

Only if you directly responds to his posts... or DM, definitely DM will do it!
Black///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #758
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I don't know what we're going to do with all the starbucks closed...

Also, please post bigger picture.
Buy a Nespresso Latissima Pro on Amazon, you will never drink keurig or dunkin ever again. Like starbucks but even better in your own home.

https://www.amazon.com/Nespresso-Lat...5324344&sr=8-2

Old 03-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #759
trizzuth

^^^ HA, you ARE the man Mach! DIY is king, if you don't DIY, you're either filthy rich, or a lazy ass mofo who never wants to learn anything.

The only thing I'm not is basically a roofer, whole home floor sander/finisher and full on contractor. I try to dabble in everything else that I can.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #760
trizzuth

^^^ HA, you ARE the man Mach! DIY is king, if you don't DIY, you're either filthy rich, or a lazy ass mofo who never wants to learn anything.

The only thing I'm not is basically a roofer, whole home floor sander/finisher and full on contractor. I try to dabble in everything else that I can.