Plan to have mechanic replace CCV for oil burn, but what other details to ask for? - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2020, 10:08 AM   #21
peleke4

My Ride: 2003 bmw 330ci
I wasn't using the 40 oil when it burned that much. I currently have that oil and will see if there is a difference if any
peleke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #22
PabloCruise

My Ride: 2002 325i
Year: 2002
Model: 325i
Transmission: Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post

Edit:
Have you looked at the oil pan and oil filter housing gaskets? Valve cover (from below). Your car is definitely high mile and all of those will have failed by now.
Oil pan gasket requires dropping the sub-frame, eh?
PabloCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:33 PM   #23
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
It does ... but a $70 engine support bar from Harbor Freight makes that an easy thing to do. Add $55 for a genuine bmw oil pan gasket, a couple bucks for dipstick tube o-ring (where it goes into the block), maybe $50 for new engine mounts while you are in there, and the cost of your oil and oil filter if you are changing that as well (so another $50 or so).

The hardest part really is getting the oil pan in and out because the oil pump gear sticks down quite a bit and reduces the clearance, but it is still very doable. If you have changed a ccv valve, done the ofhg, or changed out the cooling system, then doing an oil pan gasket should be feasible and will help move you up the learning curve quite a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:54 PM   #24
peleke4

My Ride: 2003 bmw 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Mechanics don't like to use customer supplied parts mainly because then they cannot add a price mark-up. If there's a question about part quality, there can be liability issues if a cascading part failure scenario arrises. They can always mark the invoice that customer supplied parts and decline warranty work. This assumes the parts are good quality and not cheap aftermarket junk.

Mechanics don't like when a customer tells them specifically which parts to replace without allowing them to first diagnose the root cause. They know there's a good chance the customer is wrong and will have to deal with that situation. Assuming the CCV system is the reason for the oil consumption problem is a risk and may come back to bite you, especially when you're paying $100+ per hour in labor. I always perform a few tests to isolate the failed part BEFORE replacing, which ensures I'm actually fixing the problem and not guessing.
You're right on this. I assumed the CCV system was the cause. Had my mechanic check it out and turns out there were multiple leaks (non-pressure though). I couldn't tell because the leaks never dripped to the ground. Mechanic said the CCV system was measuring on the lower end and not the cause of the high oil consumption.
peleke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:59 PM   #25
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
The hardest part is the numbing monotony of torquing all those little screws!

That and remembering the "hidden" screws in the bell housing.

It is usually quite messy because it is often very overdue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverThis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
It does ... but a $70 engine support bar from Harbor Freight makes that an easy thing to do. Add $55 for a genuine bmw oil pan gasket, a couple bucks for dipstick tube o-ring (where it goes into the block), maybe $50 for new engine mounts while you are in there, and the cost of your oil and oil filter if you are changing that as well (so another $50 or so).

The hardest part really is getting the oil pan in and out because the oil pump gear sticks down quite a bit and reduces the clearance, but it is still very doable. If you have changed a ccv valve, done the ofhg, or changed out the cooling system, then doing an oil pan gasket should be feasible and will help move you up the learning curve quite a bit.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:08 PM   #26
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
The hardest part is the numbing monotony of torquing all those little screws!

That and remembering the "hidden" screws in the bell housing.

It is usually quite messy because it is often very overdue.
Yup, a series of repetitive and tedious tasks that just takes time to work through. The total volume of things to do is intimidating, not so much any individual task by itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote