Replacing 2004 BMW zhp suspension with Bilstein b12 pro kit - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
Cdelossantoszhp

My Ride: BMW 330i ZHP
Year: 2004
Model: 330i
Transmission: Manual
Replacing 2004 BMW zhp suspension with Bilstein b12 pro kit

Hi everyone! - I just bought a b12 pro kit (Bilstein B8 & Eibach pro springs) from Turner Motorsports. I'm looking for a small drop on the stock zhp suspension. I have yet to install them. Does anyone have this setup on their BMW ZHP? I'm curious how much of a drop this kit has on a ZHP. Has your handling improved? How is the ride quality? If you have any photos of your ZHP with a b12 pro kit that would be much appreciated! Thank you!!

Last edited by Cdelossantoszhp; 11-05-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Cdelossantoszhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: '03 325Ci + '05 ZHP
The Eibach kit's supposed to drop the car another 1" to 1.5" -- that's a LOT for these cars (OEM sport setup E46's clearance is effectively 5 inches at the mid-point between rear/front wheels), so your clearance will drop below 4". Be careful since it's easier to bottom out; happened on my wife's old 318iS (almost the exact same setup (B6 and H&R sport springs)) and speed bumps and sharp driveway entrances were awful... it's why I stuck with OEM height and B8s on my ZHP.

Incidentally, there was not MUCH difference in feel between OEM and B8 shocks on my ZHP, but the difference from OEM to B6s on the 325 was VERY noticeable (and nice).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Sicily1918; 11-05-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Sicily1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:03 PM   #3
Cdelossantoszhp

Thank you for this feedback! I really appreciate. I've heard that Eibach focuses more on an OEM ride, but slightly better handling. I guess I'll just find out once I install the B12 pro kit setup early December!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2020, 09:42 AM   #4
damon forrer

My Ride: 16 Miata & 05 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdelossantoszhp View Post
Thank you for this feedback! I really appreciate. I've heard that Eibach focuses more on an OEM ride, but slightly better handling. I guess I'll just find out once I install the B12 pro kit setup early December!
I am considering the same setup on my LS swapped 330ci.
How is the ride quality with this setup? do you have any issues with speedbumps or driveways being lowered?
damon forrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:13 AM   #5
Cdelossantoszhp

Hi Damon - Sorry for the late response. I already have the bilstein pro kit installed on my BMW 330izhp, and I have to say it's an absolute improvement in ride quality and handling. The car feels more planted on the road, and the car takes on bumps with refinement. I've noticed that the car is a lot more stable at high speeds and my confidence has drastically increased on high speed and abrupt turns. I have no issues with speedbumps and driveways. I have a very steep driveway since I live in the mountains, and have no concerns. The B12 pro kit is the WAY TO GO if you daily drive your car (you can find it on turnermotorsport since that is where I ordered mine... great customer service and fast delivery). Hope that answers your questions!

Below is a pic with the new B12 pro kit installed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6B9C9E9F-4417-4AF1-A9BF-F479F3FD735A.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	794269  

Last edited by Cdelossantoszhp; 02-26-2020 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
damon forrer

My Ride: 16 Miata & 05 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdelossantoszhp View Post
Hi Damon - Sorry for the late response. I already have the bilstein pro kit installed on my BMW 330izhp, and I have to say it's an absolute improvement in ride quality and handling. The car feels more planted on the road, and the car takes on bumps with refinement. I've noticed that the car is a lot more stable at high speeds and my confidence has drastically increased on high speed and abrupt turns. I have no issues with speedbumps and driveways. I have a very steep driveway since I live in the mountains, and have no concerns. The B12 pro kit is the WAY TO GO if you daily drive your car (you can find it on turnermotorsport since that is where I ordered mine... great customer service and fast delivery). Hope that answers your questions!

Below is a pic with the new B12 pro kit installed!
I ended up ordering a set of BC Racing coil overs, also from Turner Motorsports. The main reason I went this route was because I was able to go to a higher spring rate in the front to compensate for the extra 200 lbs of the iron block LS.

They work out about the same price as the B12 pro kit after you add in the cost of new upper mounts etc.

Turner also told me that the front strut tower reinforcement plates are not necessary with the BR series coil overs. He did suggest I use the rear shock mount reinforcement plates though.

They look like really nice quality parts, and the reviews I found online we all very positive. I will let you know how they feel a few months from now.

USPS shows they delivered yesterday, but were not on my porch when I got home. Hopefully just a delivery receipt error and not a porch pirate. Will see tonight.
damon forrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #7
caritop

For BMW you can see a lot of different options for tuning. Tuning every owner does already under his driving style and under the goal that they want to achieve. I chose the Tuning BMW X5 https://rng-t.com/body_kit/bmw/bmw-x5-f15-f85/. It's not just that would change the appearance of the car. This changed the aerodynamics of the car on the road. The car is better at turning, there is a greater grip on the road in the rain and when there was slush. Engine and transmission upgrades increase the engine power of the car
caritop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:12 PM   #8
srebrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicily1918 View Post
The Eibach kit's supposed to drop the car another 1" to 1.5" -- that's a LOT for these cars (OEM sport setup E46's clearance is effectively 5 inches at the mid-point between rear/front wheels), so your clearance will drop below 4". Be careful since it's easier to bottom out; happened on my wife's old 318iS (almost the exact same setup (B6 and H&R sport springs)) and speed bumps and sharp driveway entrances were awful... it's why I stuck with OEM height and B8s on my ZHP.

Incidentally, there was not MUCH difference in feel between OEM and B8 shocks on my ZHP, but the difference from OEM to B6s on the 325 was VERY noticeable (and nice).

It is very nice car

Last edited by srebrin; 04-11-2020 at 07:59 AM.
srebrin is offline   Reply With Quote