Revitalizing your brakes, hub, and rotor hat - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
ClaytonL

My Ride: 2003 325i
Revitalizing your brakes, hub, and rotor hat

What catches my eye while driving on the highway is the brake calipers on other cars. This is what sets the old cars from the fresh, new ones. I feel the clean, bright metal look on the brakes shows the car is either new or well taken care of. So I decided on cleaning mine. I tried brake cleaner, soap and water, hand wire brush. Nothing seemed to worked enough to my liking until I found this.

photo brush.jpg

Spent a whole $5 on a wire brush kit that attaches to a drill. Took me about one hour from pulling the jack out to torquing the the wheel bolts back on.

I'd say this is one of the easiest and best ways to take years off our aging e46s.

Bought the pack of brushes from Harbor Freight and just used a power drill to clean the calipers and hub. This do not take off metal or hurt anything. Just stripping and cleaning years of brake dust and road grime from the car.

Before:
 photo oldbrake.jpg

After:
 photo newbrake.jpg

Even with the awesome BMW brake dust, they have stayed clean this past month. I usually hit them with Meguiars Hot Rims when I wash my car. This seems to put them right back to clean.
Plus, just as I expected, all of my wheel vibrations have been cleared!

Hope this helps anyone that has vibration problems or never could find a way to clean the calipers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ClaytonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
Good post. I can't see the pics yet (at work) but will check them later. I think I need to do these to mine. I tried painting them but the paint turned brown (maybe I drive too hard and the heat got to it) will see if i can strip it away. i have the same wire brush kit and a $20 HF drill. i'll try it out!

|
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i

Nice

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

bulletproof one piece at a time

yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Mango

Oh and btw steam also works the same way and is a lot less invasive. could give that a shot too.

|
|
|

-
-
Old 04-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
ClaytonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Good post. I can't see the pics yet (at work) but will check them later. I think I need to do these to mine. I tried painting them but the paint turned brown (maybe I drive too hard and the heat got to it) will see if i can strip it away. i have the same wire brush kit and a $20 HF drill. i'll try it out!
Pull them up and you'll want to clean yours today!

I stripped old red brake paint from my friends Honda a couple of weeks ago. This way worked amazing and his brakes also looked brand new.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
yetieater

How does one use a steam cleaner on the brake calipers?

Old 04-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
ClaytonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetieater View Post
Nice

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Mango

Quote:
How does one use a steam cleaner on the brake calipers?
by holding the steam wand to the brake caliper using your hand

|
|
|

-
-
Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
ClaytonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Oh and btw steam also works the same way and is a lot less invasive. could give that a shot too.

This did cross my mind at one point but I didn't like the idea of steam water so close to my brakes and fluid. I just knew i'd screw something up!
I'm sure I will try this for the maintaining part! Thanks!

Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
yetieater

Having never used such a tool in my life, I have only read about them briefly on Wikipedia. I thought that there was a suction element involved. Shrug.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
Blueandwhite85

My Ride: E46
Looks great OP!
Blueandwhite85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
Grande D

My Ride: E36 M3
Quote:
Having never used such a tool in my life, I have only read about them briefly on Wikipedia. I thought that there was a suction element involved. Shrug.
That depends on what sort of steam cleaner. Some do have suction- though they wouldn't work worth a damn on brake parts.

Quote:
Get out and walk. Meet people.
It will change your life!
------------------------------------
Quote:
It's ok, the world needs boring people
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
falcon1209

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328ci
I tried painting remanufactured calipers last summer and since then they have actually rusted a LOT worse than the original ones on the car before I started. Even leaving traces of rust on my wheels from water coming off the calipers. Not sure what I did wrong... Used High Temp Black paint and prepped them with brake cleaner as they had a oily residue on them out of the box.

Will this procedure here still be a good idea? Should I paint them after doing this as well? How did you get the brackets so shiny without taking them off?
falcon1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #14
Yewzer B Lewzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon1209 View Post
...Not sure what I did wrong... Used High Temp Black paint ...
Some of the high temp paints s do not seal and are actually porous -They will soak up water.

Window Regulator Help:

Axle Shaft Replacement:

Red Oil Light!!:

MrPhilidelphia’s Temperature Gauge Improvements:
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
LeMansteve

My Ride: sold - '04 330i
Could a Dremel with the wire brush attachment give similar results?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
bigguy

My Ride: 2001 330ci vert
wow, I'm gonna do this. thanks for the info.
bigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #17
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
Could a Dremel with the wire brush attachment give similar results?
high speed probably. wear safety glasses whatever method you try

|
|
|

-
-
Old 04-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
ClaytonL

yes, everyone please wear goggles and a breathing mask for sure. no need to breath in all that junk and danger health just for car looks.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama

Always have done this. Stays clean for months.

illestminimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #20
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
Would this take caliper paint off? I'd like that because then it's a great excuse to redo

trentcdrums is offline   Reply With Quote