New FCABs and bushings but still a lot of bump steer? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
NUTNDUN

My Ride: 2004 325i
New FCABs and bushings but still a lot of bump steer?

I just did the front control arms and bushings on my 04 325i this past weekend. I replaced them with the Meyle HD units. I also got new tie rod ends which I will replace right before I take it to get an alignment.

I can tell a little bit of a difference with the new arms and bushings but it isn't as much as I thought it would be. I am still getting a good bit of bump steer or at least I think that is what it would be termed. Good example would be going down the highway and changing lanes. Going across the seam between the lanes will make the steering wiggle and pull. Other than the tie rod ends is there anything else that can be done to tighten the steering up or will an alignment take care of it?
NUTNDUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
The steering coupler or knuckle
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
sounds like tramlining

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47

An alignment might help. So might different tires.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Solidjake
Shifting

My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
How are your tires? (PSI, thread, etc)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

-
-

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
NUTNDUN

Sounds like what I am experiencing. I know I do need new front tires. They put new tires on the rear before it was put up for sale on the lot but the front ones were good enough to pass. Even though the left one is cupping on the inside a little bit.

The wheels are aftermarket and 18". The tires are 225/45/18. I plan on doing new shocks and springs here in the next couple weeks. Probably deal with it till then and put the tie rod ends on and get it aligned along with new front tires and hopefully it improves. I also want to replace the rear control arm bushings as I am sure they are in need of replacing.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
After I replaced everything attached to the steering rack and all that, I still had tram lining. It was my tires and a bad alignment. Try an alignment shop that knows what they're doing. As my new front tires have worn a little, some of it is coming back but not nearly as badly.

WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Solidjake
Shifting

My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
Are the tires the same type all around and not mixed?

-
-

-
-

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
WDE46

Oh yeah, mine were also mixed. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S up front and General Gmax A/S in rear.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
choxor

My Ride: Redneck Truck
You mention that one of your tires is cupping, I'm betting that's contributing to your problem. Shot FCABs can create uneven tire wear. Uneven tire wear creates crap handling.

While you're doing the shocks go ahead and do the steering guibo. The part is cheap and may tighten up your steering. Either way it's a wear item that eventually needs to be replaced. It's an easy DIY, too.

choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
Nobody has ever said this or says it but I have been saying it and am saying it: steering coupler affects steering/handling quality in one direction only and thats steering wheel towards the road. you may experience play in the steering wheel. A worn steering coupler cannot and will not cause "tramlining," shimmy, etc.

If you think your car "tramlines," get an alignment and new tires. If both are good and you still think you have a problem, this car isn't for you.

|
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
WDE46

You're right, the coupler doesn't increase or decrease the tram lining effect, but it does affect your ability to counteract tram lining.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
You're right, the coupler doesn't increase or decrease the tram lining effect, but it does affect your ability to counteract tram lining.
Which doesn't fix the "problem"

suppose we can get him a gas mask if he starts to smell fuel inside his interior

but obviously... the coupler should be replaced anyways as part of regular maintainenance.

i don't really get how EVERYONE on here still has cheap parts that they haven't replace. there shouldn't be one person here with a pair of eyes that hasn't replaced their coupler yet and who has their car for more than a year.

|
|
|

-
-
Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
WDE46

Yeah, the coupler is definitely a 50-60k mile item.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Yeah, the coupler is definitely a 50-60k mile item.
Why do you say this? Mine is good at 194K!
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
just because an item is physically present does not mean it's still "good"

you must not have any standards whatsoever.

|
|
|

-
-
Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
NUTNDUN

The tires are mix matched. The back tires are new and both the same but the front tires are different from the back and different from each other so that definitely isn't helping. Between shocks, springs, new tires and an alignment I think the tramlining will be taken care of. I do notice the more pronounced bump steer when pulling in to my work's driveway which has about a 2" curb and when turning it and going over the curb you feel it yank on the wheel. I am thinking this might be the tie rod ends and possibly the steering coupler. Eventually I will have all the maintenance items up to date here in the next couple of months.

Doing the cooling system, fuel filter, ofhg, and power steering res. and high pressure hose this weekend.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTNDUN View Post
The tires are mix matched. The back tires are new and both the same but the front tires are different from the back and different from each other so that definitely isn't helping. Between shocks, springs, new tires and an alignment I think the tramlining will be taken care of. I do notice the more pronounced bump steer when pulling in to my work's driveway which has about a 2" curb and when turning it and going over the curb you feel it yank on the wheel. I am thinking this might be the tie rod ends and possibly the steering coupler. Eventually I will have all the maintenance items up to date here in the next couple of months.

Doing the cooling system, fuel filter, ofhg, and power steering res. and high pressure hose this weekend.
if in fact what you are describing "steering wheel jerk" is indeed a problem, then the issue is alignment or struts (depending on speed)

if i had to guess, you do need maintenance, but i think it's likely what you are perceiving to be a problem is in fact normal.

|
|
|

-
-
Old 10-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #18
NUTNDUN

It could very well be normal. Just with the tramlining and mismatch tires I notice every little thing with the steering right now. I think my truck and my wife's car both jerk a little pulling in to the driveway at work. We are talking less than 5 mph when pulling in. I am definitely going to get all of the maintenance items taken care of. The car runs great and and is in nice shape so it is worth putting the money into.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #19
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTNDUN View Post
It could very well be normal. Just with the tramlining and mismatch tires I notice every little thing with the steering right now. I think my truck and my wife's car both jerk a little pulling in to the driveway at work. We are talking less than 5 mph when pulling in. I am definitely going to get all of the maintenance items taken care of. The car runs great and and is in nice shape so it is worth putting the money into.
yeah at 5 mph, it's just the nature of driving a car. you hit a bump and the bump impacts the wheel and the wheel is connected to the steering wheel. its just what happens.

|
|
|

-
-
Old 10-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #20
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
Hah. There is no way in hell. Do you have any play in your steering wheel? You should have ZERO play. ZERO. That's the coupler.