Sport to base suspension? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
willisw2001

My Ride: 2006 325Ci Convertib
Sport to base suspension?

Hey all, pls bear with me if this sounds like heresy. My 06 325Ci convertible is terrific so far. The problem is my better half isn't happy with the Sport suspension's stiff ride on our deteriorating roads. My questions are 1) Is there any problem switching to Base springs and shocks/struts (keeping the Sport sway bars and wheels); 2) would this make a significant difference in ride comfort; and 3) is it crazy to consider this? I can compromise a little on handling if it keeps the Mrs. happy. Thanks for any advice.
willisw2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci
OEM shocks are crap for durability. Go for some Bilsteins or konis.

Last edited by orb; 05-14-2014 at 06:18 PM.
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
325CiBrett

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubois View Post
OEM springs are crap for durability. Go for some Bilsteins or konis.

How does this answer his questions?

Sent from NSA Tracking Device
325CiBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Sport to base suspension?

My non sport springs have been just fine for 14 years now. Why would anyone say they are not durable? You should have no problems with the swap.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

English
Sarcasm
Profanity

Last edited by Stickbuilder; 05-14-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
Rob43

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
OEM springs are crap for durability. Go for some Bilsteins or konis.

Can you clarify this statement ?

It reads like you're saying Bilsteins & Koni's are springs.

Thanks,
Rob43

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Rob43

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by willisw2001 View Post
Hey all, pls bear with me if this sounds like heresy. My 06 325Ci convertible is terrific so far. The problem is my better half isn't happy with the Sport suspension's stiff ride on our deteriorating roads. My questions are 1) Is there any problem switching to Base springs and shocks/struts (keeping the Sport sway bars and wheels); 2) would this make a significant difference in ride comfort; and 3) is it crazy to consider this? I can compromise a little on handling if it keeps the Mrs. happy. Thanks for any advice.

OP, to answer your question directly, I would first buy a set of koni FSD struts/shocks paired up to your Existing stock springs. This one purchase should solve your issue.

Good luck,
Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics
Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
lszlszx

My Ride: Z3, V50, 1.8T
Even my 1975 BMW did just fine with it's stock springs.

"Would the codes indicate if it's the carburator?"
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
orb
OEM ///Member

I meant shocks. I'm saying if he's replacing the shocks, don't get new "base" OEM shocks.
For less money, you can get aftermarket shocks that are better.

The stock springs are fine, and don't need to be replaced unless they're rusted or have 200k.

Last edited by orb; 05-14-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
And none of you are paying any attention to what he asked. He didn't ask what shocks are better, he wants a softer ride.

So yes, standard springs and "heavy duty" shocks will bolt right up and won't cause any issues. They'll simply raise your car an inch or so and soften the ride.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
optrs

My Ride: 01 330ci,94 325is
One solution for softer ride is Koni FSD struts & shocks. The tirerack.com has them on sale http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...=Sport+Package. I upgraded the suspension on my 01 330ci coupe with Dinan Stage 1 suspension which turned out to have way to stiff of a ride for me. So replaced the Dinan tuned Koni yellow struts & shocks with Koni FSD struts & shocks and there was a huge improvement in the ride quality. I should have replaced the stock struts & shocks with the Koni FSD's in the first place. Here is a road test of Koni FSD's from the tirerack http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/tests/koni_fsd.jsp

Last edited by optrs; 05-14-2014 at 07:17 PM.
optrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #11
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i,05 745,03 X5
Quote:
OEM shocks are crap for durability. Go for some Bilsteins or konis.

You've owned 1 old used 325 for 2 years and suddenly you're an expert on the durability of OE suspension? How can you even make this statement when you were probably 4 or 5 years old when the e46 was first put on the market?

Op going with either the Koni FSD or the Bilstein tourings should be a good place to start. I would first change out the shocks and struts and then if that doesn't work look into a softer spring. I think you will be surprised with how just changing to the right shock/strut setup will soften the ride. Keep in mind that even a non sport e46 still has a little bit stiffer suspension than most cars out there. It just comes with the territory when you drive a BMW. Good luck and I hope you are able to sort this out.

mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #12
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i, '11 Z435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
And none of you are paying any attention to what he asked. He didn't ask what shocks are better, he wants a softer ride.

Actually he did ask about shocks/struts, so recommending aftermarket ones is answering his questions. Besides, if the ones he has on his car now are blown out they're likely the entire cause of the harsh ride; not the springs. Worn out damping is a far more common cause of bad ride quality than a factory spring being too stiff. Getting OEM non-sport shocks and springs will likely fix the problem because he'll be replacing the blown out shocks, but he'll be wasting money by going OEM for the the shocks instead of good aftermarket and pointlessly losing performance and wasting money by replacing the springs.

Tangent_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #13
TheDeadner

My Ride: 00 323i
Maybe I'm wrong, but don't the convertibles and coupes only offer "sport" suspension? I thought only sedans and tourings had the option to get base suspension?
TheDeadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #14
orb
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
You've owned 1 old used 325 for 2 years and suddenly you're an expert on the durability of OE suspension? How can you even make this statement when you were probably 4 or 5 years old when the e46 was first put on the market?
And where is it implied that I am an expert on the durability of OE suspension? Just because I've owned my car for two years doesn't make me oblivious to the fact that my 100k+ suspension is worn. The second part of the above statement
is irrelevant, as I've seen new BMWs first hand go from new to worn struts in about 50k miles. Yes, the wearing is very gradual, but it's there, and well documented on the forums if you'd search.

And then you have the nerve to give the same advice as me after poking at my credibility? Lol moron

Last edited by orb; 05-14-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #15
lszlszx

My Ride: Z3, V50, 1.8T
How much softer are the non sport springs anyways?
Somebody said they were the same, just taller.

"Would the codes indicate if it's the carburator?"
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #16
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
1. There is no such thing as a non sport ci suspension.
2. Your rough ride is most likely due to the simple fact that your shocks are worn out and need replacement! Probably other critical components like bushings also need help? if a soft ride is your only concern, stick with std replacement type shocks like Sachs, Bilstein Touring, std koni or FSD etc.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #17
Alex323Ci
OE ///MEMBER PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
And where is it implied that I am an expert on the durability of OE suspension? Just because I've owned my car for two years doesn't make me oblivious to the fact that my 100k+ suspension is worn.
wait a minute, you only owned a 325 for two years and you're only a teenager? I thought you were some older Porsche owning track junkie. my bad, I notice now the 911 in your sig is photoshopped in front of sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
1. There is no such thing as a non sport ci suspension.
we're not talking about "ci" as in Coupe, but Convertibles

OP I agree go with some comfort valved new struts/shocks. even some tires are softer, confirm you don't have run flats.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #18
orb
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
wait a minute, you only owned a 325 for two years and you're only a teenager? I thought you were some older Porsche owning track junkie. my bad, I notice now the 911 in your sig is photoshopped in front of sign.
Lair joke
Old 05-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #19
Alex323Ci
OE ///MEMBER PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Lair joke

oh so it's a joke. always confused when people post other peoples cars in their signature.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:50 AM   #20
willisw2001

My Ride: 2006 325Ci Convertib
Many thanks for all your good advice. I've ordered Base spec shocks, springs, and strut assy's. If they smooth out my 325Ci's ride (happy wife) without undue handling loss (happy me), life will be good. I'll hang onto my original parts in case de-Sporting my beloved car turns out badly. Either way I'll let you know how it goes.
willisw2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
base suspension, sport suspension