Revitalizing your brakes, hub, and rotor hat - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #21
EuroTuned330xi
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonL View Post
What catches my eye while driving on the highway is the brake calipers on other cars. This is what sets the old cars from the fresh, new ones. I feel the clean, bright metal look on the brakes shows the car is either new or well taken care of. So I decided on cleaning mine. I tried brake cleaner, soap and water, hand wire brush. Nothing seemed to worked enough to my liking until I found this.

photo brush.jpg

Spent a whole $5 on a wire brush kit that attaches to a drill. Took me about one hour from pulling the jack out to torquing the the wheel bolts back on.

I'd say this is one of the easiest and best ways to take years off our aging e46s.

Bought the pack of brushes from Harbor Freight and just used a power drill to clean the calipers and hub. This do not take off metal or hurt anything. Just stripping and cleaning years of brake dust and road grime from the car.

Before:

photo oldbrake.jpg

After:

photo newbrake.jpg

Even with the awesome BMW brake dust, they have stayed clean this past month. I usually hit them with Meguiars Hot Rims when I wash my car. This seems to put them right back to clean.

Plus, just as I expected, all of my wheel vibrations have been cleared!

Hope this helps anyone that has vibration problems or never could find a way to clean the calipers.

Such a major difference. I cant wait to do this!! Mines is pretty beat lol.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
EuroTuned330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #22
dznuts007

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Metal Rescue and Evaporust works awesome. Used both types when I was redoing my rusty and crusty calipers

Went from this:

To this:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dznuts007; 03-10-2014 at 11:37 AM.
dznuts007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #23
DiceyOne

My Ride: 1999 328i
Send a message via AIM to DiceyOne
Oh wow, this is exactly what I need to do.

Thanks for the write up.
DiceyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #24
dznuts007

Would also be a great time to rebuild your calipers if necessary

Old 03-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #25
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznuts007 View Post
Metal Rescue and Evaporust works awesome. Used both types when I was redoing my rusty and crusty calipers

Went from this:

To this:
Wow, big difference. It cleaned so deep that it even changed the casting numbers and overall shape of the caliper...

Window Regulator Help:

Axle Shaft Replacement:

Red Oil Light!!:

MrPhilidelphia’s Temperature Gauge Improvements:
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #26
dznuts007

Yeah amazing huh? The wonders of modern chemistry

Jk. Posted the wrong 2nd pic. Of course these were painted, but just showing that it pretty much got rid of all that crust

Old 03-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #27
ElrichMeister

My Ride: 06 325Ci M56
Gotta try this, thanks OP

ElrichMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:43 AM   #28
-lynel-

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
another thing to do while the wheels are off doing suspension...do you people not realise im very time poor!! lol

thanks for the pics OP definitely need to do this
-lynel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #29
EuroTuned330xi
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330xi
Is there a certain technique to clean these?

EuroTuned330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #30
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Try a little anti seize on the rusted wheel mounting surface and centering hub and they will never rust.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #31
ClaytonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
Would this take caliper paint off? I'd like that because then it's a great excuse to redo
Yes it does. I've done this to many cars that the owners painted and later regretted.

ClaytonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #32
ClaytonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclassy View Post
Is there a certain technique to clean these?

Just attach to a drill and go full speed ahead. It's very simple and only takes 1 minute per wheel.

ClaytonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #33
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Is the wire kit pictured the one you purchased?

All I'm finding @ HB at the moment...
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece...l#.UyDLP847owo

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #34
nl318

My Ride: 318i 2000
Just did this a few days ago. Used a brass brush attachment. Although it looks better, it's not the result I hoped for. Mine look way much darker.

Before

After

Last edited by nl318; 04-03-2014 at 03:06 PM.
nl318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #35
dznuts007

Hrm...weird how the OP got it alot shinier. If you want a nice look and have some time, spray it with a coat of High Heat primer and High Heat silver spray paint. I also took it one step further and did a coat of VHT clear coat aftewards