New FCABs and bushings but still a lot of bump steer? - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #21
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
There is no problem with the wheel being turned by bumps at low speeds. That happens on all cars. Even my Jeep did that on some road at bumpy stop lights and such. What shouldn't be happening is getting stuck on the centerline of the highway during lane changes or the road actively trying to pull you off it (more than the built in road camber would normally).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #22
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
just because an item is physically present does not mean it's still "good"

you must not have any standards whatsoever.
As long as we're getting personal, you can be a real ass some times! My steering is perfectly fine and tight as new! The real issue here is that just because one or a few people have a problem with a part failing does not mean we should all go out and replace that part! You have a hair across your ass re me and my 194K cooling system, right? You like to drink the cool aid and preach to everyone else that they should do the same. I on the other hand have always been one to think for himself! You don't like that!

OP, after you replace the shocks and struts get back to us.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #23
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
As long as we're getting personal, you can be a real ass some times! My steering is perfectly fine and tight as new! The real issue here is that just because one or a few people have a problem with a part failing does not mean we should all go out and replace that part! You have a hair across your ass re me and my 194K cooling system, right? You like to drink the cool aid and preach to everyone else that they should do the same. I on the other hand have always been one to think for himself! You don't like that!

OP, after you replace the shocks and struts get back to us.
Your steering is perfectly fine and tight as new at 194k without having replaced anything? lol. k i suppose you live in a perfect world where everything remains in a constant state of new forever. these guys would agree:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #24
WDE46

New FCABs and bushings but still a lot of bump steer?

There's no way your coupler is good at that mileage if mine was shitty at 64,000 miles.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 10-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #25
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
There's no way your coupler is good at that mileage if mine was shitty at 64,000 miles.

you know it's funny... the way some people here in America treat their cars is horrid. Germans take care maintenance and performance extremely seriously. My friend was telling me this the other day. He works at a German engineering company and all his German coworkers were discussing how horribly some Americans treat their cars. They are absolutely flabbergasted at some of the things they've seen. The "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality.

Germans or Europeans in general are strict, have standards, taste, etc. when it comes to cars and they are very systematic at their approach to car care.

Some Americans need to put the Budweiser down and take note at the German approach especially if they drive a German car or specifically a BMW. BMWs are all about performance and you are not doing the car justice by sitting around downing Budweisers not giving a "darn" about maintenance.

|
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #26
WDE46

They also have to pass inspections that extend beyond emissions. In Alabama and other states you have literally no inspections. The only form of "inspection" is when an Alabama policeman deems something unsafe.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #27
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Quote:
you know it's funny... the way some people here in America treat their cars is horrid. Germans take care maintenance and performance extremely seriously. My friend was telling me this the other day. He works at a German engineering company and all his German coworkers were discussing how horribly some Americans treat their cars. They are absolutely flabbergasted at some of the things they've seen. The "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality.

Germans or Europeans in general are strict, have standards, taste, etc. when it comes to cars and they are very systematic at their approach to car care.

Some Americans need to put the Budweiser down and take note at the German approach especially if they drive a German car or specifically a BMW. BMWs are all about performance and you are not doing the car justice by sitting around downing Budweisers not giving a "darn" about maintenance.
It's their car they can do what they want with it.

For Americans, their car is fine as long as they pass inspection, which is a joke to begin with. That is, of course, if inspection even exists in your state.

Inspection in other countries actually means something. Not so much here.

Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #28
hummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post

This is one of the major problems with a public forum and this site in particular! Rather than bad mouthing those with good parts just because yours failed, why not start a discussion on why some parts fail and others don't? Why not start a poll and see what the real failure rate is? These would far more usefull endevors! Come on up to Boston and drive my car!
Old 10-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #29
hummer

Quote:
Your steering is perfectly fine and tight as new at 194k without having replaced anything? lol. k i suppose you live in a perfect world where everything remains in a constant state of new forever. these guys would agree:

No, I'm perfectly content NOT living in your world! Your attitude toward people that don't think exactly like you do, SUCKS and others like you gather around here like flies on ----. Who said I haven't replaced anything? I'm on Bilstein/H&R sports, Powerflex bushings, Meyle arms, ECS links and new tie rods. I've replaced things that need replacing. You too are invited to come drive my car. I'll arrange a meeting at Turner and have them inspect it with you there! As they do regularly anyway when there is any inkling of a problem! Maybe when the original high boost rack was changed out during the BMW offer, they replaced the coupler with one that doesn't have a problem? But, that was under a year old and 14K. So, the current coupler is at 180K at the youngest and doing AOK.
No need to respond to this: Believe it or not I don't give a crap what you think.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #30
WDE46

Quote:
This is one of the major problems with a public forum and this site in particular! Rather than bad mouthing those with good parts just because yours failed, why not start a discussion on why some parts fail and others don't? Why not start a poll and see what the real failure rate is? These would far more usefull endevors! Come on up to Boston and drive my car!
How about you stop being over sensitive. I didn't bad mouth you. I still highly doubt your steering coupler is fine. If it is, there's no way it's original.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #31
WDE46

Quote:
No, I'm perfectly content NOT living in your world! Your attitude toward people that don't think exactly like you do, SUCKS and others like you gather around here like flies on ----. Who said I haven't replaced anything? I'm on Bilstein/H&R sports, Powerflex bushings, Meyle arms, ECS links and new tie rods. I've replaced things that need replacing. You too are invited to come drive my car. I'll arrange a meeting at Turner and have them inspect it with you there! As they do regularly anyway when there is any inkling of a problem! Maybe when the original high boost rack was changed out during the BMW offer, they replaced the coupler with one that doesn't have a problem? But, that was under a year old and 14K. So, the current coupler is at 180K at the youngest and doing AOK.
No need to respond to this: Believe it or not I don't give a crap what you think.
You cared enough to respond and get your panties in a bunch.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #32
NUTNDUN

My Ride: 2004 325i
I figured I would post an update.

About two weeks ago I took the car to get new front tires put on. When they put them on they let me know the left front wheel was bent and is probably what caused that tire to cup like it did. I figured I would run it that way till I got some more maintenance items taken care of first.

Not even two days later my right rear tire kept loosing about 20 psi within 24 hours. So I removed the wheel and found out the wheel was cracked on the backside. I started shopping for wheels. I have wanted wheels since I bought the car because I couldn't stand the ones that were on it. The chrome as flaking in a lot of spots and I didn't care for the design but the wheels were one of the last things I wanted to purchase.

With running into the issues with the wheels and not wanting to spend too much on new ones I was looking at several different places. I came across ones that ECS was selling which are Alzors. I know the whole you get what you pay for but for $400 for a set I couldn't pass it up. Even if they only get me by for the next 6 months I would be happy.

I received them on Tuesday and had them installed today. The new front tires made a nice difference in the tramlining I was experiencing but hasn't totally cured it. When I bought the wheels I also got a new steering coupler and plan on installing it this weekend. The new wheels came double boxed, wrapped and a plastic edge guard. Not too shabby for their price and they look great.

I also shaved a little over 2 lbs per wheel. The old wheels were 18 x 9 and the new ones are 18 x 8. With the new rims it tracks even better now and once I get that coupler on and get it aligned I think it will be perfect. Car also rides much better now too.

I need to do the valve cover gasket, vanos seals, disa, intake boots and ccv, then I will do the shocks and struts along with the springs. Probably do the H&R sport cup kit.

The car is a daily driver and I am not worried about all out performance and besides it is a 325. Still fun to drive though.

Here are a couple of pics. One of the piece of sh!t wheels that were on it and two pics with it and the new wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0095.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	532976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0096.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	532977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0097.jpg
Views:	65