E46 Performance Issue Diagnosis Advice - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
rc64597

My Ride: 2001 330i 5MT Black
E46 Performance Issue Diagnosis Advice

Hey all:

My 2001 BMW 330i still feels slow. My father has the exact same car, both 5MTs, but his accelerates much smoother and faster.

1) Did VANOS
2) Replaced Oxygen Sensors
3) No rolling resistance
4) Fresh Fluids (Synthetic)
5) New Spark Plugs
6) Throttle Reset daily
7) Replaced fuel filter

The power "feels" to be constant throughout the RPM range, it just doesn't pull the way other 330i seem to. Smooth, yet slow.

Any suggestions? Things to check before I turn it over to the mercy of my INDY BMW mechanic for a full performance diagnosis?

Edit: I should note, no codes are showing from an OBD2 scanner (rental from Advance Auto) or my Peake tool.

Last edited by rc64597; 10-07-2013 at 11:34 AM.
rc64597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Muffler flapper jammed closed like mine was?
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
rc64597

When I look inside of the right-exhaust-tip, the flap appears to be more stuck OPEN than stuck CLOSED.

I can close the flap by putting steady pressure on it, is it supposed to be shut when the car is off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
The way you make your car perform is you maintain it. See the link in my sig called maintenance. I can go on for days and type elaborate responses... but really. just trust me. click maintenance and do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
rc64597

I have replaced/serviced everything on your list short of DISA and Throttle Body. Possible culprits?

Could this issue possibly be software, fixed by a DME update?
Old 10-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
DISA is a primary performance killer, if the car has over 100k miles, likely the DISA is bad. A little DISA tickler for you - https://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...8&postcount=92

Other things you need to check are for the proper engine coolant temperature. It should run close to 96-97C most of the time. See 3rd link below in my signature for more info.

Might have a fuel pump going soft, 2nd link in my signature.

Cam sensors can be bad and not trigger codes, this can cause the cam timing to be off and impact power.

Exhaust restriction like mentioned, tailpipe butterfly should be open when the car is off. Other restriction in the exhaust, get an exhaust back pressure gauge an measure the back pressure.

Check the Long Term Fuel Trim at warm idle and see what the figures are, if they are too far off, then you may have an issue.

Peake tool is a pig, will not give you the info you need. A $30 tool will run circles around the Peake Reader for what you are dealing with. Read this - https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967204

Aftermarket/counterfeit MAF. Very common problem with the 330 due to the expensive of the MAF. If it has ever been changed, put the original back on. If not, try to borrow a MAF for test purposes.

Also what is you highway fuel economy, this may also yield some insight to what may be going on as well?

Many other things can be a contributor.

Everything from wheel and tire size, wheel and tire weight, axle ratio and so forth.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 10-07-2013 at 01:02 PM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc64597 View Post
I have replaced/serviced everything on your list short of DISA and Throttle Body. Possible culprits?

Could this issue possibly be software, fixed by a DME update?
the list is just for starters.

fuel pump? coil boots? also resetting your throttle "every day" is one of the best ways to "slow" down your car. not sure why you're doing that.

but yes throttle body would be a big one. that's a no brainer

|
|
|

-
-
Old 10-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
rc64597

I am running stock 16/17s (whatever the M68 rims are) and fuel economy appears to be good at 30-33 highway.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
I'm also going to suggest the DISA. It could even be as simple as your clutch is going out since they're both 5 speed manuals.

And yes stop resetting the throttle, it needs to adjust.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
rc64597

I reset the throttle every week, not every day, it was a typo.

The car just feels like it has no torque...feels like a ford taurus, not an I-6 VANOS engine.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc64597 View Post
I reset the throttle every week, not every day, it was a typo.

The car just feels like it has no torque...feels like a ford taurus, not an I-6 VANOS engine.
deep scan and check for ghost codes. failing disa and/or vanos solenoids will make a huge difference in torque. disa is the big one here. vanos solenoids don't fail but the plugs could get messed up once in a while but it would throw a code. afaik, disa won't. (assuming it's not leaking)

|
|
|

-
-
Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
BMWespresso

My Ride: 2005 325CI
do you have a way to check cylinder compression? if you loose compression in just one cylinder it would greatly reduce engine power, and fuel economy would not change much

BMWespresso is offline   Reply With Quote