How to realign wiper assembly (wipers dont end up down at end of cycle - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Rocket22

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
How to realign wiper assembly (wipers dont end up down at end of cycle

If your wipers no longer end up at the bottom of the windshield due to snow or some type of resistance, there is very good probability the assembly has slipped at the bolt in the picture. What I needed to do is loosen the bolt, move the assembly, tighten, reintall, and test. Chances are it will take a few adjustments to get this exact.

If there was a better way to fix this, please feel free to chime in. With winter approaching, I am sure this will happen to a few.

See post later down for photo, the photo listed here is wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	529099  

Last edited by Rocket22; 10-02-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Rocket22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
The wipers also can be indexed on the stub that comes up through the cowl.

Also the wiper arms are different and I have seen them mixed up and the wrong sides before.

Fuel pump failures -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Temp Info -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Hogan773

My Ride: 2002 325xi
I need to do this. Mine are off by about 2 inches so they swipe down a tad first before going up.

Did you do this adjustment while the linkage is still installed? I was hoping to do so.... Hoping to reach in, loosen the bolt, move the scissors to the proper closed position, then tighten.

Will that be possible?
Hogan773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Lots of info here:

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=704507

Linkage needs to come out to fix the home position.

Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Simply loosen them at the post, reposition and tighten. Have done mine a couple times over the years.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Rocket22

Clarification

If you are trying to do minimal adjustment, you can do that at the cowl (Very minimal). If the wipers slop, you are pulling out the assembly, or you are watching your wipers start down your hood as they start their cycle out of position if you jut adjust at cowl stub.

This is the correct way to fix as this is where the original slippage started.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Hogan773

I don't see why I cant reposition the scissors on that one nut while attached but I'll need to get in there to see. Mine is not a motor issue I don't believe. I think the scissors has just slipped out of place a bit, I hope.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Rocket22

Photo correction

Click image for larger version

Name:	wioer 2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	529157

I listed the wrong picture. The bolt you need to loosen is the one circled in greenish blue.

Last edited by Rocket22; 10-02-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
I need to do this. Mine are off by about 2 inches so they swipe down a tad first before going up.

Did you do this adjustment while the linkage is still installed? I was hoping to do so.... Hoping to reach in, loosen the bolt, move the scissors to the proper closed position, then tighten.

Will that be possible?
If your wipers move down before going up, the motor is not stopped in the right spot.

There is an adjustment for Home Position of the motor, and for the stopping location of the wipers. If the motor is in the right place, but the wipers are not, this is cured by removing the wiper arms and setting them where you want them.

If the motor is not in the right place, I'm not sure what you do to remedy this, but the first movement would be downward before sweeping up. Having said that, I'm not sure it's a problem that the wipers move down before they sweep up, as long as the downward movement does not cause the wipers to hit something.

When removing the wiper arms to put them on in a different location, you would want to raise the wipers off of the glass and have them do a full sweep just to confirm home position.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
Hogan773

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
If your wipers move down before going up, the motor is not stopped in the right spot.

There is an adjustment for Home Position of the motor, and for the stopping location of the wipers. If the motor is in the right place, but the wipers are not, this is cured by removing the wiper arms and setting them where you want them.

If the motor is not in the right place, I'm not sure what you do to remedy this, but the first movement would be downward before sweeping up. Having said that, I'm not sure it's a problem that the wipers move down before they sweep up, as long as the downward movement does not cause the wipers to hit something.

When removing the wiper arms to put them on in a different location, you would want to raise the wipers off of the glass and have them do a full sweep just to confirm home position.
I need to look at it, but why couldnt it be that the scissors is not in the "full down" position at the point where the motor stops its turn. So adjusting the scissors to be in the "full down" position when the motor is stopped would do it. The assembly scissors around to create the back and forth of the wipers.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
Rocket22

that is correct - if the wipers move down pror to up, motor is no aligned

It is not as simple as repositioning wipers. If there is a motor adjustment, please let me know. I fixed by loosening the bolt and repositioning the assembly.