PS Reservoir Cap - Viton O-Ring Giveaway - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2020, 03:27 PM   #1
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
PS Reservoir Cap - Viton O-Ring Giveaway

Mentioned this in another thread and sent a few out already. This is an upgrade over what comes from the factory/with replacement reservoirs. Had one installed for a couple years now and no more weeping fluid from the cap.

7 remaining and this thread will be updated as they are claimed.

PM me a mailing address and I will send one your way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #2
daves325in2012

My Ride: 330 E46 and 528i E39
Year: 2004
Model: 330ci
Transmission: A5S-390R and A4S310R
PMed.. This is very nice of you!

Pretty Facelift on..PSS9\\OE+
daves325in2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #3
Silverdogz

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '04 330i
Year: 2004
Model: BMW 330i ZHP
Transmission: Manual 6spd
Pmed!

Silverdogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 04:05 PM   #4
Hani

My Ride: 02 330i, 00 323i,
PM Sent. Thank You!
Hani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:07 PM   #5
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
PM Sent, thank you!

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #6
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Pm'd thanks!

:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #7
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
PM sent, thanks!

Also, know that there is an air vent in the cap that is the main source of the PS fluid weep.
You can shove a Q-tip in there to knock it down a bit.

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:44 PM   #8
se93

My Ride: BMW 328ci AW MTECH2
PS Reservoir Cap - Viton O-Ring Giveaway

PM sent

Thank you!!!!

Regards,

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by se93; 02-26-2020 at 04:44 PM.
se93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:49 PM   #9
Knight

That was quick! All have been claimed.

In the interest of keeping this going, I am going see if I can find another source to buy these in bulk and keep sending them out.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Knight; 02-26-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:12 PM   #10
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
That was quick! All have been claimed.

In the interest of keeping this going, I am going see if I can find another source to buy these in bulk and keep sending them out.
Very nice of you to give back to the forum!

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #11
Knight

Update: The Amazon source I originally bought these from is showing a 1-2 month delay. I found another source - super low cost but with the way their shipping works, I had to order a large quantity of them...meaning more to send out!

Should arrive in 5-7 days. I would like to verify that the size is indeed the same and then will confirm here.

Some of you understandably asked for 2 o-rings for your multiple vehicles, so if you don't mind waiting a little bit, I can send you 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Very nice of you to give back to the forum!
My pleasure! Just a small gesture in appreciation for all the shared knowledge and helpfulness of others (most certainly including you, Scott, with your generous DME update services).

|
|
|
|
Old 02-26-2020, 05:40 PM   #12
Sapote

My Ride: 2000 323i auto wagon
No thanks. It's the cap imperfection that caused the leak, not the seal.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1021110

After this fix, my bottle is still dry clean in many years with same OEM seal.
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:58 PM   #13
Hani

My Ride: 02 330i, 00 323i,
Willing to wait, Thanks Again.
Hani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:01 PM   #14
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
that's nice of you.

didn't know this was an issue, haven't noticed it leaking there on my cars. Always heard it was the vent hole in cap that allowed fluid out during aggressive driving.

people have fixed that by a number of ways like:
1) barbed fitting in vent hole to a hose
2) "sock mod" you can look it up here on forum
3) Q-tip mod.

but if the old seal gets flattened and a new one helps I can believe it.
just mentioning there may be more than one issue causing leaks up around that area.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 02-26-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #15
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapote View Post
No thanks. It's the cap imperfection that caused the leak, not the seal.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1021110

After this fix, my bottle is still dry clean in many years with same OEM seal.
All instances I've seen were caused by the seal - completely flattened out and virtually invisible, as if it's part of the cap.

The Viton seals worked in all these cases, and I am yet to see a PS reservoir cap that got one of these to start leaking again.

By the way, I still have a few Viton seals out of the pack of 10 I bought like 5 years ago.
If anyone is willing to drive to West LA to get one - send me a PM. I don't have time to deal with shipping, sorry.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 02-26-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:36 PM   #16
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
Perfect timing too since mine has started to leak again. Was waiting for a larger order to buy one then your offer shows up. Very eager to try Viton for this application since this is replacement #3 in 178k miles.

Thanks again Knight!

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:47 PM   #17
Sapote

My Ride: 2000 323i auto wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
All instances I've seen were caused by the seal - completely flattened out and virtually invisible, as if it's part of the cap.
It cannot be flattened out. Look at the bottle brim: the inner corner was chamfered and so the new o-ring seal formed into a triangle section. Anyway it's not the seal material but the casting line of the cap that caused the leak in most cases.
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #18
GTEASER

My Ride: Lexus GX470
I'll take one if you still have some. PM sent.
GTEASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:48 PM   #19
LL i am

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
that's nice of you.

didn't know this was an issue, haven't noticed it leaking there on my cars. Always heard it was the vent hole in cap that allowed fluid out during aggressive driving.

people have fixed that by a number of ways like:
1) barbed fitting in vent hole to a hose
2) "sock mod" you can look it up here on forum
3) Q-tip mod.

but if the old seal gets flattened and a new one helps I can believe it.
just mentioning there may be more than one issue causing leaks up around that area.
same here. not an issue. did the sock mod long time ago, removed since not needed, but nice having a handy sock to wipe oil off dipstick after oil level check. reservoir just get dusty, and sometimes very little moist.
LL i am is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:06 PM   #20
Jagdtiger

My Ride: 05 330CI
Hello there Knight your pms are full. Just thought I would say if you happen to get anymore of those viton orings I would be greatful for one.
Jagdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote