Weird vibration from tire, only when accelerating - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2020, 04:53 PM   #1
Jelpo

Weird vibration from tire, only when accelerating

Hi guys!, first post here.

I've looked around for other cases like this but haven't found any and would love any opinions.

I have an 04 325xi with a weird intermittent wheel vibration. This started while on a road trip, going 80mph for about an hour when I started noticing a vibration from my right rear tire. It would only happen while using the throttle, it would go away when coasting. It also wouldn't continuously happen, it would happen every few minutes and then go away once I came off the throttle.

I got my tires balanced and it no longer happened at highway speeds. Everything is smooth while on the highway. However when accelerating from a stop the problem has come back. My right rear tire will vibrate while accelerating, then stop while shifting, then vibrate again in the next gear and completely go away after about 40mph or if I take my foot off the pedal. The weirdest part is that it doesn't happen every time I accelerate, it seems at random. Also sometimes it is worse than others, being barely noticeable one time and next time feels like my right rear tire is literally wobbling left and right.

I took my car back to get the tires rebalanced, this didn't help. I checked the lug nuts and also jacked the car up and tried to move the wheel in all directions, everything seems tight. I'm really at a loss here, maybe its a drivetrain issue since it only happens under acceleration? Any opinions would be super helpful.
Jelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #2
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Curious how you know it's the right rear tire?

Sounds like a drive shaft issue or drive axle issue.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Overboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:45 PM   #3
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 Track Car
E46 Xi are notorious for weird on throttle vibrations. Often (not always) the inner joint of the right front axle.
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2020, 07:37 PM   #4
Jelpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Curious how you know it's the right rear tire?

Sounds like a drive shaft issue or drive axle issue.
The whole car slightly vibrates but its very obvious when driving that its coming from the right rear tire. It feels like the right rear tire is shuttering left and right about a half inch back and forth. Drive shaft or axle sounds like it could be it. Looks like i'll have to bring it to a shop soon
Jelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
If you can feel the vibration or "shutter" in the shifter, my money is on the drive shaft.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:09 PM   #6
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
Lay your bets everyone. Mine is on the RTABís for this one. Especially if you get tracking changes as you cross those raised/reflective highway markers.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote