Squeaking sound from back seat in 2004 330ci? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2020, 03:25 AM   #1
revsta

My Ride: 200 328i
Year: 2000
Send a message via AIM to revsta
Squeaking sound from back seat in 2004 330ci?

Just picked up a 2004 330ci a couple of days ago. It's in great condition, but the back seats sound like they're...squeaking when I hit bumps? Almost like the entire seat assembly is loose or something. I did some searching but didn't find anything that really matched this issue. Any ideas?
revsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:07 AM   #2
Newbimer

My Ride: 2005 325i
May not be the seat, a broken spring can make interesting noises as well, check the springs.
Newbimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:13 AM   #3
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 Track Car
Chasing various noises around the chassis and interior can be tough, even for seasoned technicians.
By far the best way is to try and isolate the exact noise, then when you have time take an extended test drive with someone else driving. Sit in the back seat, both sides. Does your car have a "Through Loading System", that's the fold down rear seats. Open/close them one at a time. Did the noise change?
It might also become necessary to remove the junk from the trunk and grab a flashlight and go for a ride in the trunk with the lid closed to pinpoint the exact source of the noise. I would leave all of the standard equipment installed.

Some common offenders:
Rear upper shock bushings, Latches for fold-down rear seats, spare tire/jack/tools, battery hold-down.

Rear seat latches are fairly easy. Almost always a piece of electrical tape wrapped around the striker bar that the latch secures itself to will cure the latch noise, as it tightens it up.

Good luck.
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2020, 02:32 PM   #4
revsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMCar View Post
Chasing various noises around the chassis and interior can be tough, even for seasoned technicians.
By far the best way is to try and isolate the exact noise, then when you have time take an extended test drive with someone else driving. Sit in the back seat, both sides. Does your car have a "Through Loading System", that's the fold down rear seats. Open/close them one at a time. Did the noise change?
It might also become necessary to remove the junk from the trunk and grab a flashlight and go for a ride in the trunk with the lid closed to pinpoint the exact source of the noise. I would leave all of the standard equipment installed.

Some common offenders:
Rear upper shock bushings, Latches for fold-down rear seats, spare tire/jack/tools, battery hold-down.

Rear seat latches are fairly easy. Almost always a piece of electrical tape wrapped around the striker bar that the latch secures itself to will cure the latch noise, as it tightens it up.

Good luck.
Thanks a lot. I'll do this!
Old 02-03-2020, 02:42 PM   #5
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by revsta View Post
Just picked up a 2004 330ci a couple of days ago. It's in great condition, but the back seats sound like they're...squeaking when I hit bumps? Almost like the entire seat assembly is loose or something. I did some searching but didn't find anything that really matched this issue. Any ideas?
You mentioned it's a Ci like mine is. I had an occasional squeak for the last 7 years (only when the passenger seat was occupied) that got worse in the last winter and I had enough of it. Sounded like it was coming from the back. Easy enough to test. Sitting in the back if you pull or push on the front seat back you should be able to replicate the squeaking noise. Doesn't need to be a violent pull or push. If so -

It's the main hinge right at the bottom of the seat back. You'll see a ring moving around a tube right where the seat back meets the lower half of the seat, closer to the door side of the seat. A drop of oil is all that's needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #6
revsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post

It's the main hinge right at the bottom of the seat back. You'll see a ring moving around a tube right where the seat back meets the lower half of the seat, closer to the door side of the seat. A drop of oil is all that's needed.
I think this sounds the most plausible. I'm pretty sure it's coming from inside the car and sounds like it could def be like that. What kind of oil did you use?
Old 02-03-2020, 06:06 PM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
Quote:
I think this sounds the most plausible. I'm pretty sure it's coming from inside the car and sounds like it could def be like that. What kind of oil did you use?
It better have been an LL-01 oil.

Seriously, any oil would work I'm sure.

If it's not that, look into the subframe if none of the other guesses work. Also, make sure things like your chock, jack, and spare tire are tight.

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:24 PM   #8
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
Quote:
I used pb blaster in an eye dropper but Iím sure any oil will do.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #9
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
since itís a Coupe it has the folding rear seats. make sure they are all the way latched. two other things come to mind.
1) sometimes the leather needs to be conditioned where it makes contact or makes noise.
2) check the hinges and pivot points. if you suspect the owner swapped interior often people forget the plastic bushing insert on lower pivot. but this cause a clank and not so much a squeak noise.

and follow the other suggestion. GL

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:41 AM   #10
revsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
since itís a Coupe it has the folding rear seats. make sure they are all the way latched. two other things come to mind.
GL
I think it may be this! Gonna check tomorrow.