Snow Tire Shopping Again, Need Honest Opinons - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
dcminiman_43

My Ride: 2004 325i
Snow Tire Shopping Again, Need Honest Opinons

Hey guys! I live in NE Pa here and the last 2 years have been really wet winters, I currently have an out of production snow tire for my winter wheels, and need suggestions and honest opinions on what to get next, my currents got hard and had me sliding every where last year and my current search for a decent 4x4 beater hasn't had me much luck

I work a job where I'm an essential employee so need to get to work when needed.

I'm running stock 205 55R16

Im driving a 325i RWD 5-Speed

Going to be in mixed conditions but we've been getting more wet/slushy conditions the last year or so.

I also live on a mountain to go up and dow to get home at medium incline.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Vehicles

1987 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 2dr 2.5 5spd (Project)

2004 Mystic Blue 325I 5spd (Daily)
dcminiman_43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:05 PM   #2
Brewtus79

My Ride: M3 Vert, 330xi, X5
Year: 2002
Model: M3, 330xi, F15 X5
Transmission: 6 spd manuals
My commute is 60mi each way over a couple PA mountains and with my occupation I dont have the luxury of calling off if the weather blows.

I ran Uniroyal Tiger Paw Snow and Ice on a 2010 Jetta for a few winters with positive results.

Just had Continental Viking Contact 7's installed on my 330xi, but yet to be tested.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brewtus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #3
Cheap Trick

My Ride: E46
Model: 330ci cabriolet
Transmission: auto
General has an excellent snow tire at a very good price. They also are quiet and do well on dry roads.
Cheap Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2019, 06:25 PM   #4
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
I don't have to worry about the winters here in the south but a lot of members from the north have very positive reviews of the Bridgestone Blizzak tires.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:56 PM   #5
dcminiman_43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
I don't have to worry about the winters here in the south but a lot of members from the north have very positive reviews of the Bridgestone Blizzak tires.
I hear alot about Blizzak tire but there are so many models of it

Current Vehicles

Old 11-25-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
dcminiman_43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtus79 View Post
My commute is 60mi each way over a couple PA mountains and with my occupation I dont have the luxury of calling off if the weather blows.

I ran Uniroyal Tiger Paw Snow and Ice on a 2010 Jetta for a few winters with positive results.

Just had Continental Viking Contact 7's installed on my 330xi, but yet to be tested.

See you know my pain, mine being a state job I need a good snow tire with how slushy last year was i was all over the place especially getting home on my mountain I miss having my jeep but it's not in the budget currently, mines rwd vs awd like yours tho

Current Vehicles

Old 11-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #7
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcminiman_43 View Post
I hear alot about Blizzak tire but there are so many models of it

Our members from the north will need to help you there. Sorry, I run summer tires all year here.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 11-25-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
Brewtus79

My Ride: M3 Vert, 330xi, X5
Model: M3, 330xi, F15 X5
Transmission: 6 spd manuals
Consider a studdable set since you only have the rwd. If you opt away from studs, with new winters you ought to be good this season with some winter driving skills.

Rwd would keep winter time interesting at least. I expect to be glued to the roads this winter w the awd + new winter meats.

Brewtus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:35 PM   #9
Renboy

My Ride: 04 330Ci '08 Daytona
Taking price into account, BFG winter slalom ksi's are really quite good. Not taking price into consideration, mich x-ice, hakka's, or blizzaks are the way to go. Definitely don't get studded tires unless you live in an area where you're ONLY driving on packed snow or ice for months straight. They're probably illegal in your area anyway.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:44 PM   #10
dcminiman_43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
Taking price into account, BFG winter slalom ksi's are really quite good. Not taking price into consideration, mich x-ice, hakka's, or blizzaks are the way to go. Definitely don't get studded tires unless you live in an area where you're ONLY driving on packed snow or ice for months straight. They're probably illegal in your area anyway.
In PA we are allowed to have studded tires from November 1st to April 15th

Current Vehicles

Old 11-25-2019, 11:51 PM   #11
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 > everything else on the market.

|
|
|
|
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:08 AM   #12
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
Go to www.tirerack.com and shop for snows. Check the reviews of people who live in snowy climes.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:40 AM   #13
wasp9166

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
general altimax arctic , it's the same mold as the discontinued gislaved nordfrost

only snow tire i will buy, cheaper than any other and damn good

be putting them on my mazda3 tomm as it seems snow coming sunday .....i don't drive the bmw in the elements

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 11-26-2019 at 06:40 AM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #14
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 Track Car
Snow tire thread, oh boy. Almost as bad as what oil or brake pads/rotors.

I know well where you are. Most of the time acceptable, but there are those mornings in Jan-Feb.

You have a 2WD drive car with an open differential. Therefore I'd suggest the best. For those days.....

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3. There's those and then there's everything else.
Just get them off the car when the weather permits. That goes for any dedicated snow tire. They melt easily.

I have a summer cottage in Ontario Canada of which I go to year round. The Canucks understand winter conditions and put snows on steel wheels on all 4 sometime in October. Nokian is #1 followed by Blizzaks #2, to my casual eyes.
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:30 AM   #15
wasp9166

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthrea...=295897&page=3

old thread but , generals are basically contis

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 11-26-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #16
Vas

My Ride: zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 > everything else on the market.
Bingo. The fins know their snow tires
Vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #17
wasp9166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vas View Post
Bingo. The fins know their snow tires
gislaveds were swedish, same diff

Quote:
Old 11-26-2019, 10:31 AM   #18
dcminiman_43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMCar View Post
Snow tire thread, oh boy. Almost as bad as what oil or brake pads/rotors.

I know well where you are. Most of the time acceptable, but there are those mornings in Jan-Feb.

You have a 2WD drive car with an open differential. Therefore I'd suggest the best. For those days.....

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3. There's those and then there's everything else.

Just get them off the car when the weather permits. That goes for any dedicated snow tire. They melt easily.

I have a summer cottage in Ontario Canada of which I go to year round. The Canucks understand winter conditions and put snows on steel wheels on all 4 sometime in October. Nokian is #1 followed by Blizzaks #2, to my casual eyes.
Haha, yeah accept I'm making this thread because the snow tires I have are garbage and recently took my jeep off the road and don't really have the time to be shopping around with the job title I have this year, might finance/lease a JL wrangler next year possibly tho don't really want another car payment right now

Current Vehicles

Old 11-26-2019, 10:33 AM   #19
77'911

You might see if you can find a 325xi or 330xi (better half's daily). The xi is a tank in bad weather, especially with snows. I've run General artic's on our last rwd Bimmer and it did exceedingly well. We've got Conti Winter Contacts on the xi which have been great so far, but have not tested them in the snow. They seem more refined then the Artic tire. Having said that, we've got Yoko Iceguard's on a Boxster Tip which have been quite good, albeit, not the most quiet of tires to be honest.
regards
77'911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #20
dcminiman_43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77'911 View Post
You might see if you can find a 325xi or 330xi (better half's daily). The xi is a tank in bad weather, especially with snows. I've run General artic's on our last rwd Bimmer and it did exceedingly well. We've got Conti Winter Contacts on the xi which have been great so far, but have not tested them in the snow. They seem more refined then the Artic tire. Having said that, we've got Yoko Iceguard's on a Boxster Tip which have been quite good, albeit, not the most quiet of tires to be honest.
regards
Yeah, I don't know about buying another E46, I've owned mine about 4 years now, and they get more and more ragged out from kids where I live anymore, I was looking at the studdable Artic 12s

Current Vehicles