Snake oil or unicorn piss? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2018, 03:15 AM   #1
E46Envyy

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Transmission: 6spd
Snake oil or unicorn piss?

Yes here we have another oil additive thread.

When it comes to oils for the e46 its as simple as finding any LL-01 oil and filling her up. I've never bought into oil additives as my thought is "big oil companies do their research, how can product x decrease wear by 50%?".

So what's this unicorn piss I'm talking about?

Motorkote!

Basically I stumbled upon an amazing youtube video proving some of Motorkotes' claims. Watch the video and see for yourself!

Anyone have experience with Motorkote?

Cheers, E46Envyy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Make choices; don't look back
E46Envyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Back in 1979, a product called 'Slick 50' made similar claims. Did the same tests, sold millions in product. I bet you've never heard of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous:

All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
66intheSky
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2000
Model: 328i ZSP
Transmission: Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
Back in 1979, a product called 'Slick 50' made similar claims. Did the same tests, sold millions in product.
Lol....yep, and remember Dura-Lube too?

Sent from my SM-J327V using E46Fanatics mobile app
66intheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
All2kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66intheSky View Post
Lol....yep, and remember Dura-Lube too.
"The company along with several others including Valvoline Engine Treatment, Slick 50 Engine Treatment, STP Engine Treatment, and Motor Up Corporation, was investigated by the Federal Trade Commission in 1999-2000 and was found to have no competent or reliable evidence substantiating these claims about its performance. In March 2000, Dura Lube and competitor Motor Up both settled Federal Trade Commission charges that performance claims for their engine treatments were deceptive and unsubstantiated."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dura_Lube

Previous:

Old 04-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
BrettS

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Back in the early 90s I fell for the marketing lies and, thinking I was being good to my car, used a similar product for about a year. I remember the company printing countless testimonials from customers who said their head gasket blew and their mechanic said it was lucky for them that they used the additive because their engines weren't damaged and could be rebuilt. Somehow that made sense to me at the time.

Sure enough, within 10k miles, the head gasket blew on my Nissan. A car known for never blowing gaskets.

I've never used an oil additive since, and I've regularly put over 200k miles on my engines now.

2005 330i ZHP / Mystic Blue
BrettS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #6
autoAER

My Ride: 2005 325i 5MT
BMW engines do not like oil additives. No engine should need oil additives, just do your oil changes on time
Old 04-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
E46Envyy

Quote:
Back in 1979, a product called 'Slick 50' made similar claims. Did the same tests, sold millions in product. I bet you've never heard of it.
Nope I've never heard of it, although I doubt they did the same tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66intheSky View Post
Lol....yep, and remember Dura-Lube too?

Sent from my SM-J327V using E46Fanatics mobile app
From what All2kool posted; Dura-Lube was investigated and stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoAER View Post
BMW engines do not like oil additives. No engine should need oil additives, just do your oil changes on time

Yes, I agree regular oil changes are key to a healthy engine. Oil is the life blood and its usually not a good idea to add mystery fluids. That being said, kburger has been running lucas synthetic oil stabilizer with good results.

Project farm (guy who made the video) takes no sponsored endorsements and is an honest guy. He has tested many other oil additives, some of which have increased wear!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Cheers, E46Envyy

Old 04-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #8
All2kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Envyy View Post
You can doubt all you want but it won't make it any less true.

Previous:

Old 04-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #9
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
Quote:
If I remember correctly the commercials for Slick 50 said they ran an engine for hours after using Slick 50 then draining the oil and starting the engine.
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #10
CrowsFeast

My Ride: 330CI ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonRed View Post
If I remember correctly the commercials for Slick 50 said they ran an engine for hours after using Slick 50 then draining the oil and starting the engine.
My high school auto shop did that without additives. They drained both oil and coolant and then stuck a brick on the gas pedal. Still went a few hours before it blew.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #11
sam_e787

My Ride: 325ci MS43
Year: 2002
Model: 325ci
Transmission: 5sp
I believe certain one use ceramics or MOS2 which has been used in europe and russia for decades with good results.
sam_e787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #12
E46Envyy

Quote:
You can doubt all you want but it won't make it any less true.
I think you missed my point... For clarification, I doubt a third party without endorsement from Slick 50 conducted tests which would validate Slick 50s claims.

Quote:
Did you guys watch the video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
My high school auto shop did that without additives. They drained both oil and coolant and then stuck a brick on the gas pedal. Still went a few hours before it blew.
Thats crazy, now if only you had a video of that.

Edit: @sam_e787 - Project farm has a video specifically for MOS2 which is worth a watch.

Last edited by E46Envyy; 04-12-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #13
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
Quote:
Did you guys watch the video?
Not sure why I had to, since I was just stating what "tests" the Slick 50 commercials had as "proof". I generally do not look at commercials for this type of - I would say crap - as they can say anything about what "test(s)" they ran with any result they want to advertise.

Quote:
Sometimes they run for awhile - most don't.

Last edited by CylonRed; 04-12-2018 at 03:47 PM.
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #14
E46Envyy

Quote:
Not sure why I had to, since I was just stating what "tests" the Slick 50 commercials had as "proof". I generally do not look at commercials for this type of - I would say crap - as they can say anything about what "test(s)" they ran with any result they want to advertise.

I'd recommend reading my posts and actually watching the video...

My whole point is how Project Farm is an unbiased crowed funded channel which has made hundreds of videos comparing automotive related products. He has no reason to fake these tests and vast majority of results are negative towards such oil additives.

He also did some testing on Slick 50... Although you'll probably not watch it...

Old 04-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #15
Fox Fader

My Ride: '05 325i
Oil manufactures state not to add any additives to their oil. Forgot where I read that, but it comes straight from them.

10 Ford GT 401a 5sp 17k miles
17 Z125 PRO
07 Tuono Factory
03 F150 STX Lightning replica

Fox Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #16
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
I remember watching a treated engine run with water being blasted at the exposed crankshaft, some people don't realize that water is an excellent lubricant.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #17
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
oh the good memories of Slick 50 and Mario Andretti being one of the testers. Mario lied to me

Interesting video, not sure I can ever trust any of these after Slick 50 and Dura Lube. Lifetime warranty is only as long as the lifetime the company stays open.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote