Has anyone used an aftermarket headlight ASSEMBLY replacement? And lived to tell the - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #1
jeng

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Has anyone used an aftermarket headlight ASSEMBLY replacement? And lived to tell the

Switched the headlight ballast back in 2016. At first the driver's side headlight would go out. After switching the ballast, then the passenger side started to go out.

I suppose this is indicative of the ballast being bad. However, it's an old car (2001 330ci) and:

a) both ballasts looked like they were in crappy shape, what with all the wear and tear over the years,
b) of course, people here know that a new ballast is exorbitantly expensive, so financially it doesn't make sense to buy oem ballasts,
c) buying a used ballast is iffy because...it could have a short life,
d) the headlight assemblies (both) are in pretty crappy shape too - gaskets all dry-rotted, plastic tabs broken off, lenses fogged up (i refinished the outer lenses using sandpaper and clear coat, which made them better, but the INSIDES are yellowed and fogged up)

e) it seems like people say the cause of the headlight problem could be a wide number of issues - and i don't have the time to try each one. i need a fairly likely cure but want to avoid creating MORE issues. you know?

oem bmw headlight xenon assemblies are uber expensive also, so does anyone have experience with an aftermarket headlight assembly replacement such as this:

https://www.protuninglab.com/hid-pro...-2d-hl-bk.html

This assembly seems to come with replacement ballasts and it's not going to break the bank.

But what if...

Is there a "what if" situation that anyone has run into with aftermarket headlight assemblies? Not just the bulbs but with replacing the ENTIRE headlight assembly?

I've been searching E46 but cannot find any definitive information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HEADLIGHT WOES.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	699401  
jeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Check the wiring inside near the bulb for damaged insulation and broken wires.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1121315

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=17193299

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1175921

Fuel pump failures -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Temp Info -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:51 AM   #3
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46,e90,e92,e83
Wouldn't do it on an e46 as OE used parts are cheap enough and throw in new lenses and you have a like new OE set for under $500. Last year I bought aftermarket headlight housings for my flooded e90. I liked them as they required that I move all the hardware from the OE into the new am housings. Basically I just got new clear housings and new wiring which is exactly what I needed.

The ones you linked look like the ones I see periodically that blind folk cause they are not channeling the light properly and are never aimed right. I'd look to stay with an OE solution if possible.

Edit added pics of the e90 AM headlights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6333.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	699409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2941.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	699417  

Last edited by BMW-North; 11-09-2017 at 08:01 AM.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote