2002 330ci front end repair update - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
Phadnot91

2002 330ci front end repair update

I'm beginning a thread on the front and repair of my 330 CI after being wrecked I'll continue to update the process. Some of you may have seen my thread on the part out of the vehicle and I had discontinued that part out due to a strenuous process and it being lengthy, I figured if I was going to put that much effort and parting it out I might as well take my chances and try to repair the vehicle.

At this point in time I don't know how much I've spent gathering parts however the damage that was done wasn't too extensive

I'm hoping that this thread can help someone who might be in a similar position and needs advice or what not.

I'm of the main issues is that when I made the decision to park the car out I had tossed a bunch of damaged parts such as the radiator assembly with the fan and expansion tank and the hardware that one along with it so right now me putting my car back together Also struggling to gather a bunch of hardware and miscellaneous bits and ends.

. This is before the wreck. I had gotten rid of the staggered ssr gt3s for a squared set of 162s because I use to commute a lot.

Yes I rear ended someone partly because I was not paying attention and also because my rf wheel speed sensor was damaged so my tires locked up

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Phadnot91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:53 PM   #2
Phadnot91

Spent some time taking things apart and assessing what damage had been done. .

I found the drivers fender well had been pushed back however it's a separate piece of sheet metal that had been spot welded near the strut tower. (Strut tower seems ok) the headlights,radiator, condenser, hood and drivers fender are some of the main parts that were damaged I also found some damaged wires that I have soldered but I didn't take any photos of them at that time.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
Good job getting that apart . I am undertaking the same job on a 330I I bought last night. Damage is pretty much identical as yours.
Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
Phadnot91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogthebountyhunter View Post
Good job getting that apart . I am undertaking the same job on a 330I I bought last night. Damage is pretty much identical as yours.

Thank you, I jut wish I hadn't tossed a bunch of stuff away. Sounds like your attempting to do a full front end repair then also ?

Old 08-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
Phadnot91

right now current parts that I have a accumulated
- front core support
-radiator bracket with condenser and p/s cooler line
-2000/2001 xenon headlight units
- radiator
-expansion tank
-mtech 2 front bumper cover

test fitting everything and what not still missing a lot of parts
I came across the hood for $50 just had clear code fading

Old 08-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phadnot91 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogthebountyhunter View Post

Thank you, I jut wish I hadn't tossed a bunch of stuff away. Sounds like your attempting to do a full front end repair then also ?

Yup just took it apart today everything in front of the engine is being replaced plus the whole cooling system .

Last edited by Dogthebountyhunter; 08-07-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #7
zeroforce

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330Ci
I've wanted to try a rebuild for giggles, keep up the good work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zeroforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:31 AM   #8
Phadnot91

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroforce View Post
I've wanted to try a rebuild for giggles, keep up the good work!

Thank you, it'll be fun and rewarding once back on the road

Old 08-09-2017, 07:36 AM   #9
shoman24v

My Ride: 2002 330i 2000 528iT
Looking good!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #10
Phadnot91

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
Looking good!

Thank you!

Old 08-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #11
Phadnot91

. Finally had time to take the condenser off it took me a while because I was assuming I would have to remove the refrigerant from the system however I check the straighter valve's and they had no pressure behind them so I just ripped the condenser off I'm assuming that when the car sat at the tow yard for a week after the crash it leaked all out ***129335;***127998;****9794;***65039;

Old 08-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #12
Mango

My Ride: Lexus
ya probably just leaked out. this crash is common on e36 and e46 as the inherent ride height for the crash structures does not match well with newer, higher cars. especially when you'red lowered. so your soft parts get all beat up but hard parts remain unscathed. perfect for low speed crash rebuild. can be bad in a faster collision as you have no hard parts to protect you.

Good luck on rebuild. Should be back on the road fast!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

-
-
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #13
Phadnot91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
ya probably just leaked out. this crash is common on e36 and e46 as the inherent ride height for the crash structures does not match well with newer, higher cars. especially when you'red lowered. so your soft parts get all beat up but hard parts remain unscathed. perfect for low speed crash rebuild. can be bad in a faster collision as you have no hard parts to protect you.

Good luck on rebuild. Should be back on the road fast!

Yeah I learned that very soon after the crash and did assembling, it's pretty amazing.

Also would anyone happen to know if the coolant level sensor has a o-ring between the itself and the expansion tank ?

Old 08-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #14
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: '03 325Ci + '05 ZHP
You don't know how much those E90 rims mess with my head!!! Don't get me wrong; they look good, but they mess with my mind 'cause I'm expecting an E90 body

Good luck with the fix!
Sicily1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:12 AM   #15
Phadnot91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicily1918 View Post
You don't know how much those E90 rims mess with my head!!! Don't get me wrong; they look good, but they mess with my mind 'cause I'm expecting an E90 body

Good luck with the fix!

I'm planning on swapping them out with mpars

Old 08-20-2017, 03:34 AM   #16
Phadnot91

Bought this afe intake system second hand. I understand there is no real benefit however I just wanted to have the area that was damaged to be covered a little

Old 08-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #17
Phadnot91

2002 330ci front end repair update

Amazon e46 puller fan for manual spec. Fitment was on point although the connecter retainer area on the shroud seemed weak, nothing a zip tie can't fix though.

Last edited by Phadnot91; 08-21-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #18
Phadnot91

Grabbed this fender from pull n save super cheap.

Put everything with the cooling system back together to bleed it and it seemed legit lol Amazon puller fan worked well. Although I need to replace some belts so I may have to remove the fan again unless someone knows a faster way? Should have replaced when the front was apart.

I was able to grab this inner fender piece from the same vehicle I grabbed the fender and now I'm trying to weld it back to the vehicle. I know it won't be super pretty but I'm not too worried all just paint it black as well.

With the bumper I'm planning on just applying masking tape for the time being untill I'm able paint the different color body pieces . Super excited though because I've always wanted to upgrade to m tech II.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:30 PM   #19
Phadnot91

Almost finished. I need paint and some undercarriage panels along with an upper air dam. Let's not forget paint and aligning some parts

Old 08-28-2017, 05:05 AM   #20
Phadnot91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phadnot91 View Post
Almost finished. I need paint and some undercarriage panels along with an upper air dam. Let's not forget paint and aligning some parts