Rear Clunking Noise - What Next? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
Rear Clunking Noise - What Next?

I've been experiencing a rear rumbling/clunking noise in my 325i. Silent on perfectly smooth roads but present at any road imperfection. The following has be replaced so far:

-Springs (OE BMW)
-Shocks (Bilstein B4, Meyle HD RSM's, Z3 reinforcement plates)
-RTAB's (Lemforder w/ FCP Limiters)
-Differential Bushings (OE BMW w/ new hardware)
-Differential Carrier Bushing (OE BMW w/ new hardware)
-Sway Bar Bushings (Lemforder)

I ripped everything out of the trunk. Zip tied any loose cables. Even took it to a friend's shop (former BMW master tech) and had the subframe dropped. No cracks or tears, thankfully.

This is getting very irritating. Suggestions on where to look next are appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Knight; 11-09-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Try disconnecting one of your sway bar end links and see if it goes away...
franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #3
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by franz View Post
Try disconnecting one of your sway bar end links and see if it goes away...
Forgot to add that the sway bar bushings were also replaced. End links were untouched but I'll look into that.

|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
When I put on Hotchkiss front sways the brackets for the bushings bent very quickly and I chased down that clunk for about a year. Disconnecting one end link made it go away, the bushing mount needed to be replaced with a beefier one with side flanges.
franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
greenpick

My Ride: 2001 325i, 1994 318i
I also have a 2001 325i. I had a rotational knocking sound coming from the rear. Thought is was the drive-line. After a few times in the shop with not help, I finally discovered the the axle shaft on the driver side which can float inbd-outb was stuck all the way inbd. After freeing it up and centering it, the knock went away. Not sure if this is the same type of noise you are experiencing.
greenpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #6
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by franz View Post
When I put on Hotchkiss front sways the brackets for the bushings bent very quickly and I chased down that clunk for about a year. Disconnecting one end link made it go away, the bushing mount needed to be replaced with a beefier one with side flanges.
New Lemforder rear end links have been ordered. It would be nice to bring this saga to an end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpick View Post
I also have a 2001 325i. I had a rotational knocking sound coming from the rear. Thought is was the drive-line. After a few times in the shop with not help, I finally discovered the the axle shaft on the driver side which can float inbd-outb was stuck all the way inbd. After freeing it up and centering it, the knock went away. Not sure if this is the same type of noise you are experiencing.
New diff axle seals went in last week. Nothing was mentioned about the axle shaft being stuck but I'll look into this further if the end links don't resolve the issue. Thanks!

|
|
|
|
Old 02-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #7
ameek95

My Ride: 2000 323i e46
Find out the issue yet?

Knight I'm having the same issue every time I hit a bump in the road a clunk sound appears. It sounds like something is super loose back there!!! its super annoying!!!!!!!
ameek95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:18 PM   #8
redfeathers

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330 ci
Check the rear Differential Bushing, the horizontal one, move it with a pry bar, see if it's worn out. It also has to be torqued to OVER a 100 ft/lbs or it will clunk.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #9
djacs1

My Ride: 2001 325i
Have had clunk from somewhere back that also sounds like something loose. Replaced springs and shocks and exhaust around same time it started. Have never found source. Been there almost 2 years. Had Indy look for source but never replaced stuff yet.
djacs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:03 PM   #10
evanr614

My Ride: E46 M3
had the subframe dropped and didnt swap bushings?

evanr614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:50 AM   #11
ameek95

My Ride: 2000 323i e46
I found my problem, It might be the same for yours. Mine was the trailing arm bushing. It was worn out and making The sound. I hope this helps!!

Here's a link to the part super cheap!!!

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw..._ogaAnF88P8HAQ
ameek95 is offline   Reply With Quote