Winter Warning - Tires Matter! - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
Exclamation Winter Warning - Tires Matter!

It's been snowing lightly for a few hours, and I have driven past 3 accidents on the same highway within the span of 10 minutes.

-The first person spun around while entering a 45 mph sweeper.
-The second went off into a grassy median and right into a tree.
-The last went up a mound of snow coming into a tight exit ramp.

I'd be willing to bet that all of them were driving on all season rubber. To those with proper winter rubber, well done. To those on the fence or thinking they can skate by, I strongly encourage you to pick up a dedicated set of winter wheels & tires.

Craigslist often has very reasonable deals and it could easily save you a big headache down the road.

The difference is night and day. I was expecting an improvement, but was very surprised at just how effective and formidable winter tires made my low, RWD car in harsh conditions.

Please, don't take the chance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Absolutely, tires matter.

My E46 had OEM Continental Ultra High Performance Summer tires as a CPO delivery. Well they worked fine in the Summer, Winter not so much.

Once tires need replacement, moved onto a very different All Season, not even dedicate Winter tire and this was night and day difference.

We just received another 4-5 inches in the past few hours, it was like amateur hour on the road. People should have been home, but they were slip sliding away, abandoning vehicles in the road, just stupid sad.

Be prepared with the proper tool for the job, no Ultra High Performance Summer tires allowed!

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
VishTheFish

My Ride: Ex M54B30 ZHP
my fiance was on the fence about getting winter tires for her 2012 mazda 3, considering she bought the car which had new all seasons on. Saw a good deal and got a set of x-ice with steel wheels for $900 installed. It's been one of the best purchases she ever made, it really is a night and day difference.

VishTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i,05 745,03 X5
Winter tires FTW!! My E53 X5 is an absolute beast in the snow on winter tires and wheels. It's almost a pleasure to go out in a blizzard.

mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:53 PM   #5
SaberLily

My Ride: E46 xi
Year: 2001
Model: 325xi
Transmission: MT
Drove to Buffalo from Toronto on the Valentine's Day snowstorm. Within a mile of each other, a CTS and a Ford Explorer spun out. Saw at least five cars that spun off the QEW. You'd think in areas that get hit with snow storms they'd have some regulation like Quebec where winter tires are mandatory December 15 to March 15. It's always fun ripping by some new SUV owner on all seasons going half the limit.

We have people like my parents that will buy a new car, pay an extra $1000 a year on insurance because they won't switch companies, but won't buy winter tires. I like to tell friends I was adopted and that we're not related.
SaberLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
I've bought 4 Bridgestone Blizak LM22 snow tires on alloys from tire rack when I bought my 2001 330Ci in August of 2000. I'm on my second set on LM25 tires. They're mounted on steelies. Great for DC winters. The only problem is the idiot DC drivers who insist that their FWD cars (on non-snow tires) are perfect for driving in the snow! Fun watching them slide all over the road.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:40 AM   #7
jfoj
OEM ///Member

I finally looked at my tires on my X5 I purchased a few days ago. They are Continental ExtremeContact DWS Ultra High Performance All Season tires. Kind of funny, there is a S molded into the tread pattern, when the S is worn down they claim the tire is not good for Snow, but still fine for Dry and Wet!

It did really well in the 7-8 inches of snow we just had. Even with monster 315/35 on the rear and 275/40 on the front.

Would clearly consider these again when they need to be replaced.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Old 02-22-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
Guyerst

My Ride: 330i
I'm one of those that used to think an all season was close enough to a dedicated snow tire. That changed years back when we decided to put snows on the wife's car. Huge difference! I would say the difference between summer performance and all season, is comparable to the improvement between all season and snows. The 330i does better on the hard packed snowy roads right now than my 4x4 truck.

I'm definitely a big fan of snow tires now. Especially when they can be found so cheap with a little time on Craigslist.

Not to say you can't get by with a good all season. Many do... I did for years. But i'll never go back now...

Last edited by Guyerst; 02-22-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Guyerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:02 AM   #9
Rob43

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
My favorite snow tire video from forum sponsor Tire Rack:

I went with the Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c for my winter tire choice.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics
Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #10
Knight

Bumping this thread as a reminder. Snag those winter wheels/tires on Craigslist while the good deals are still around.

|
|
|
|
Old 11-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #11
jfoj
OEM ///Member

It better not be snowing in NNJ tonight!!

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Old 11-03-2015, 11:19 PM   #12
Bim3Por911

My Ride: 328i & 911T
I service five cars, four of which are driven in winter. The all have two sets of tires and wheels - three season and winter. IMO there is no such thing as a four season tire if you live where snow and ice are regularly encountered. My torque wrench will get a workout in the next three weeks. Besides, swapping your tires and rims twice a year gives you a good opportunity to check up on your suspension, brakes, and chassis - and change the brake fluid.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:41 PM   #13
Tbone8ty

My Ride: 2003 330i
i got the conti extreme DWS 06

they do pretty in the winter for an all season.

but dedicated winter tires are the best.

Black 2003 BMW 330i 5-spd Sport Package HSD

Last edited by Tbone8ty; 11-03-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Tbone8ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:02 AM   #14
motorhead55

My Ride: 01 325it 5spd sport
I am sure you notice that people don't slow down when the weather turns bad either. First rains here in California, people are still going down the freeway with their HAIR on fire at 70-75 mph and wonder why they get tangled up with the center divider or another car. Newer cars do so much to help handling and braking....People forget how to drive!
motorhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:15 AM   #15
Xarmius

My Ride: 2k5 330I ZHP
true. even the best tires and traction control doesn't protect stupid. watch out for those drivers and keep an eye on your driving.
Xarmius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:14 AM   #16
RichG

My Ride: BMW
Year: 13
Model: 328i xdrive
I just thought it was snowing right now lol. I couldn't deal with my red 330eyes with blizzaks and weights anymore and after years got an xi. The Blizzaks were the reason I never crashed. I have seen new x-drives off the road with all seasons here in CT.

RichG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:06 AM   #17
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarmius View Post
true. even the best tires and traction control doesn't protect stupid. watch out for those drivers and keep an eye on your driving.

You can't fix stupid. It's genetic.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:06 AM   #18
LeMansteve

My Ride: sold - '04 330i
Summer tires are downright dangerous in the snow, especially with RWD.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:51 AM   #19
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
It better not be snowing in NNJ tonight!!
Haha, I've seen bad snow in even October before but thankfully that is not the case this year!

It's amazing what kind of deals you can find on CL. This time last year, I bought a set of very clean Style 68's with virtually new snow tires for $450.

|
|
|
|
Old 11-04-2015, 11:49 AM   #20
mybmwisallst0ck

My Ride: BMW '02-330Ci, '99M3
I live in the bay area - so dont really need winter tires, but i really love going to tahoe - even got those Thule K-Summit Low-Profile Passenger Car Snow Chains which are awesome for getting over the snowy pass.

You think if it's a crazy winter I should get winter front tires and use the chains on the back?