Rear tires are worn twice as fast as fronts. Normal? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #1
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
Rear tires are worn twice as fast as fronts. Normal?

Rear are bald.
Front are fine.
Is this normal?

Why would rear wear so much faster?
It's not like I've ever done a burn out.

Last edited by OnTheFence; 02-20-2020 at 08:27 PM.
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #2
jarjar

My Ride: 04 BMW 330CI
Is it wearing out in the inside? I had this on my old set until I got an alignment which fixed the rear camber. Could that be the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Rear are bald.
Front are fine.
Is this normal?

jarjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:44 PM   #3
smolck

My Ride: 2003 330ci (manual)
Quote:
Rear are bald.
Front are fine.
Is this normal?

Yes, they do typically wear out faster as they have some negative camber. If it is super excessive, it is likely a combination of lack of alignment, worn out shocks, rear trailing arm bushings and ball joints.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
smolck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2020, 08:53 PM   #4
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3
Twice as fast as the fronts seems about right.

TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:51 PM   #5
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Twice as fast as the fronts seems about right.
Why is that?
Old 02-20-2020, 10:56 PM   #6
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Why is that?
Could be a number of reasons. Need more info:

- Wear pattern?
- Age of suspension components?
- How long since alignment?
- Tires consistently properly inflated?

Current:
•
•

Past BMWs:
•
•

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:25 PM   #7
IdahoDoug

My Ride: Quattro 20V
To that, I would add "lack of proper tire rotation". The reason the rears wear is they are experiencing torque from the engine's power. Torque causes the rear tires to slip slightly against the pavement and wears out the tires. In the total absence of about 15 questions I would ask, having to do with the type of tire, the type of transmission you have, the driving style, etc, that is about all that can be said.
1984 Porsche 944, 1987 Toyota Supra 5M Targa (project), 1987 VW Vanagon, 1988 Mitsubishi Van Wagon, 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V 5M, 1992 Lexus LS400, 1993 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 1997 Toyota LandCruiser full spec, 2018 Subaru Outback, 2002 325Xi sedan full spec.
IdahoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:51 PM   #8
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: B30_TS2++
Year: 2001
Transmission: 5-Getrag
Quote:
Rear are bald.
Front are fine.
Is this normal?

2 rear pairs for 1 front pair on my E46 - RWD
2 front pairs for 1 rear pair on my Opel - FWD
1 front pair for 1 rear pair on my E30 - zero torque

paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:14 AM   #9
L8Braker35

If you’re running a staggered setup, the problems listed above will exacerbate the wear issue due to lack of rotation.
L8Braker35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:54 AM   #10
wasp9166

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
rotate em , it's a rear wheel drive car

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #11
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 Track Car
Wheel alignment time.

Alignments are in my opinion one of the most important maintenance items for any car nowadays. Not only should a shop be checking the wear items with the suspension & steering (gets eyes on wear components) but a great alignment makes the car so much better to drive and enjoyable.
Not to mention increased tire life. IMO one of the biggest bang for the buck insofar as enjoyment of driving a BMW.

More and more rear tires are becoming sacrificial lambs as automakers try to make any car handle better. By far one of the best examples is the E53 X5, especially ones with the V8 & 19" or 20" rear tires.

Just get behind one for a moment or two while driving down the road. Take a look at the egregious amounts of camber dialed in. Worse yet is they wear out upper rear arms & lower rear ball joints, left unattended. Now we're seeing some 2.5-3.25° of negative camber.

Most get in here and the steel cords are showing on the inside edge (customer never sees.) and the outer edges still have ~20,000 miles left.

I digress.
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:43 AM   #12
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
That probably sounds right for a 330. On my 325 I wear them about the same. 48k on my last set.

As pointed out, make sure your alignment and bushings are on the up and up.

Last edited by cvx5832; 02-21-2020 at 07:43 AM.
cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #13
TobyB

My Ride: 2004xit, 2001ci
Quote:
More and more rear tires are becoming sacrificial lambs as automakers try to make any car handle better.
This, as much as anything- rears going at about twice the rate as the front seems about right to me, too.

So, imagine you're a manufacturer who likes to make sporting cars, not Camrys.

You want the thing to handle nicely, and you build the chassis to do so. But, turns out, if you've done your
suspension right, the 'sports car' has some tendencies that make it a bit harder to predict than the 1968 Chrysler New Yorkah.
All of a sudden, you're in trouble because the thing doesn't always slide off the outside of the road 'like it's supposed to'
when the driver runs out of talent.

So you have to 'fix' it by messing it all up but you can't bring yourself to degrade it to the level of a Hyundai Snotta- Car.
Thus, staggered tire sizes, less front static camber, more rear static camber, and, especially, reduced camber gain curves, because
they lull the inattentive into spins (I've done it, most of us have) that get blamed on the car, not the driver.
'trailing throttle oversteer' is to be avoided at all costs.

So the rear tires take the brunt of it, practically speaking.

On a track car, all 4 do!

I don't move my tires around anymore. If I'm feeling poor, and have
access to a machine, I might swap rears side- to- side... or just do a
couple of track days, because there's nothing like a day at the track to
even up your rear tire wear! (and grind the outside edges off the fronts, but, see above re; understeer)

t
rotates his tires daily
TobyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #14
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Rear are bald.
Front are fine.
Is this normal?

What does "wear" mean? What kind of wear, just on the edges of the tires, or on the entire surface? Inside edge, outside edge, one tire, both tires? My tires wear out very evenly, and I do not rotate. Wearing the rear tires first would indicate enthusiastic applications of the little pedal, or rear alignment issues, or a combination thereof. It does not take burnouts, it only takes jackrabbit starts.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #15
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Excessive toe will wear tires more quickly than camber. When was the last time your RTABs were changed?

Bad outer xi ball joint?

2003 325xi auto Stahlgrau

1998 328is 5sp
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:12 PM   #16
Slawless

My Ride: 2003 M3 / 2008 M3
That's the way it is and has always been on my E46M3 and my E92M3. Assuming your tire ware is even as several have discussed above and you dont rotate your tires (M3's have a staggered setup so you cant rotate) , its normal.
Slawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:01 PM   #17
tabora

My Ride: 2004 325xit
Year: 2004
Model: 325xit
Transmission: Auto
On my 2004 325xi Touring, I replaced the broken rear springs with the "Suplex Heavy Duty Touring" ones (ES#: 2915121) from ECS Tuning. Despite the supposed nature of the replacement springs, the rear end sat lower than before (even worse with a trailer hooked up), and the rear tire wear was severe due to excess negative camber that could not be corrected by standard adjustments. I installed Superior RideEFFEX 2" Bolt-in Spring Boosters and that raised the rear end back up and solved the camber issue.

Last edited by tabora; 02-25-2020 at 09:06 PM.
tabora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:06 PM   #18
Anticdubai

Tire rotation, alignment, all good but wont help you if rear rubber mountings are worn. You do not really feel it while driving unless they are completely gone, but it affecting your tires wearing drastically. Trailing arm bush, part # 33326770786
That is real reason your tires do not last.
Anticdubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:39 PM   #19
Hani

My Ride: 02 330i, 00 323i,
Several of the e46 Non M cars have staggered wheel/tire sizes front to back so rotation is out of the question.
Hani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:53 PM   #20
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
My fronts would wear about 2/3rds of my rears...one of the reasons why I'd buy crappy tires and replace them every 2 years. All your acceleration starts in the rear; all the fronts have to do is steer. Since we're technically not supposed to rotate the tires, and I never did, I'd just enjoy steering as much as I'd like.

You may very well need an alignment. Post pics of your tires maybe...but if the inside rears are worn, that's as they should be. How many miles you get on your tires and how many were they rated for? Perhaps there's still some $ in their warranty for you?

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote