Solved: Water leak passenger side floor - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 89 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2014, 05:34 AM   #41
Avoker

My Ride: bmw 330i
The two floors in the back of my 330i get wet when it rains. After reading a few comments, I noticed that it is damp under the back doors. Where is the leak coming from? Never fix a car so please go slow on the acronyms.
Avoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:36 AM   #42
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Water leaks at back doors is almost always the foam vapor barrier sealant along the lower edge of door has let go. Common problem on all BMW's of this vintage.

Fuel pump failures -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Temp Info -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #43
Blademan

My Ride: 2000 328i
Great thread. Pics and the video allowed me to quickly test if the water inside was due to sunroof drain. #fail.
I did have right front window regulator replaced around the same time as leak began, although moisture is driver's side carpet front and rear, so door vapor barriers are next to check.
Blademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #44
gimmethemuumuu

My Ride: '17 F80 M3, SO/Bk
Just had this issue with my brother's 2002 325i with 187,000 miles. After recent rains, his floorboards, front and rear, were flooded. He wetvac'd them and got up the excess moisture. Following this DIY, we opened up the front corners of the headliner. Both sunroof drain tubes were completely disconnected from the A-pillar drain tubes. Like others, we don't know how they became so--head scratcher. Removed the A-pillar covers, the visors (both sides), and the oh-sh*t handles. This gave enough room to reconnect the tubes and ziptie them together. Tested before and saw them leak into the floorboards at each corner. Tested them after and they drained behind the front wheels (outside!) as they should. The drain tube junction inside was now bone dry after test.

Thanks to all who've contributed to this thread!

Last edited by gimmethemuumuu; 07-16-2015 at 08:10 PM.
gimmethemuumuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #45
Urabewe

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Once again I have to praise this community. Just purchased a 328Ci about 5 days ago and today after a very heavy rain my passenger floor board was wet. After the usual damage control I checked here for a solution. Lo and behold my issue was the passenger side tube had disconnected from the metal nipple. Thanks to you guys I now have a properly draining sunroof. I was very worried for a minute but now all is well.

So a huge thank you to all who provided the how to info without you guys I would have never thought of checking that. Saved my butt and my beautiful cars interior.
Urabewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:37 PM   #46
Rizzspeed

My Ride: '02 BMW 325XI
This thread just saved my interior as well.
I had leaks on BOTH sides!
Driver's side was a breeze but the passenger...SMH!!!
Damn electrical connector for the shade fell back into the hole and i had a helluva time getting it out!
Thanks for the thread guys.
Rizzspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #47
Boolala

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Well, checked my sunroof drain line and its secure. Now onto the vapor barrier on the passenger side which is the only place it gets a tad wet when it rains or I give it a bath. I sprayed my passenger door for about 3 minutes and then check for water running down inside under the door panel and only saw a few drops however I assume there should be 0 drops so off goes the door panel next. I hope that is it.

I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler also and was just wondering if BMW has any floor drains or plugs that should be checked also like a Wrangler? Just curious!

UGH--pulled the door panel off and the vapor barrier looks 99% good. Was an area that was a tad loose at the bottom and a few tears higher up on the door. I duct taped the entire barrier to the door and duct taped over the few small tears up high. I guess we will see what happens next wash or rain fall. If that doesn't do it where should I now start to look?

Last edited by Boolala; 08-09-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Boolala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #48
BargsMan

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330ci ZHP
Thanks

I just wanted to post and say thank you. After a heavy snowfall a few days ago and letting it thaw, I opened my car to soaked passenger floor well. Checked the drain tube in the corner headliner and it was off and still draining residual water. It looked like the previous owner tried to zip tie it back in but failed to get the hose on completely and didn't even bother to trim the zip tie. Sorry for reviving an old thread, but finding this post was very relieving!
BargsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #49
Boolala

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Still can't figure out mine. It's not the sunroof drain tube. Ugh!

Boolala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #50
BMWM3-

My Ride: BMW m3 E46
Still have water

I've tried everything the vapor seal, The moonroof hose. The rear vent window outer seal is all cracked up, I was woundering if maybe that's the problem. Note I have fixed the passenger leak on the front mats. I have water in the back of the passenger side seat. The rear vent window inner seal is still good so I don't think it can be getting in that way, but I'm not sure. I did have a hole under the carpet were I think some of the water was coming in. I plugged it and then it rained and I got water there again. I am not totally sure if that is just left over water or not.(I vacuumed all the water out before this) after it rained there was a little bit more water than the first time. (My passenger side door seal is good, and does not let through water) If anyone has any ideas to how this is happening please let me know.
BMWM3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #51
mr_y82

My Ride: 01 325xi Sedan
^any luck?

I have a moderate leak in all but the driver's front... I have checked my sunroof drains... My leak is odd, I noticed drips ON TOP of the dash... I could see a small amount of water coming around the A-pillar (about halfway up) and dripping on the dash... Looking at the seal around the windshield I think it might be leaking in there... I might check the drain just to be sure and maybe zip tie, but my leak seems a little unique... Rear leaks are prob just the VB, but I have not bothered to check them out... I just park it under the carport and drive the miata when it rains... Seems odd, but it works.

mr_y82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #52
io14

My Ride: 05 325XI
I had a different problem, water leaked by the A pillar and after I pulled the headliner down etc the drain tube was connected so I figured water may be backing up at the end of the drain tube hose ?
I pulled off the cover door sill / wheel arc ( both sides ). You wouldn't believe the crud, leaves, twigs that was preventing the water from flowing freely out. Clean it all out and now the water flows out very quickly. This problem only really occurred in down pours ( water backing up the tube ). I hope this helps !
io14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #53
mr_y82

My Ride: 01 325xi Sedan
I'll check it out. Thanks!

mr_y82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #54
Kingstonmom76

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325XI
Thank you for this post and information! Helped me solve my issue today!!!! LOVE this forum
Kingstonmom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #55
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
Quote:
Originally Posted by io14 View Post
I had a different problem, water leaked by the A pillar and after I pulled the headliner down etc the drain tube was connected so I figured water may be backing up at the end of the drain tube hose ?
I pulled off the cover door sill / wheel arc ( both sides ). You wouldn't believe the crud, leaves, twigs that was preventing the water from flowing freely out. Clean it all out and now the water flows out very quickly. This problem only really occurred in down pours ( water backing up the tube ). I hope this helps !
Do you mean the very end of the hose where the water finally exits the car?
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #56
io14

My Ride: 05 325XI
yes ! I would feed a weed wacker line thru the male port hole a couple of times as well as cleaning out the crud at the bottom of the fender well ( inside ) etc.
io14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:41 AM   #57
Kinyolo

Hey guys, thanks for the thread helped alot. I got an old 320i and she soaked in water from the rain. It has no sunroof so not sure where to start
Kinyolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #58
Fox Fader

My Ride: '05 325i
Need help. With all the rain here I've been getting a lot of water in the car especially the front passenger side. Sunroof drains are completely clear flowing well and hooked up. Vapor barriers sealed on all the doors. I saw a leak during rain coming from the right hand front of the glove box but I cannot duplicate it to save my life. Anyone have any ideas?

10 Ford GT 401a 5sp 17k miles
17 Z125 PRO
07 Tuono Factory
03 F150 STX Lightning replica

Fox Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:01 PM   #59
Artcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijostudios View Post
FIX FIX FIX

God love New Yorkahs.
Artcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:01 AM   #60
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDawg View Post
what and where are the floor plugs, and how do you check for clogged cowl drains?
...sorry if this is from years ago...

The cowl drains are beneath the cabin air filter...and there are drains in the corner s of the hood where the plunger attaches. If the windshield cowl is cracked in the hard plastic, you could leak into the car. The rubber seal, ironically, if it's cracked, doesn't lead to leaking inside.

Floor plugs? I guess you'd look under the car for holes where you can see the carpet padding?

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

Last edited by dmax; 03-14-2020 at 06:03 AM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, leak, moonroof, sunroof, water