Coolant reservoir popped - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
maytool330ci

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Year: 2001
Model: 330Ci
Transmission: auto
Coolant reservoir popped

Been working on this 330cic project I picked up last month. Did a ton of work so far, plenty more to go.

I finally threw picked up some wheels yesterday. Style 68s with brand new tires. Just changed em out today and took the car for a short ride to the gas station (first actual drive since doing my VANOS,VCG, 02 sensors, ccv tubing, and tune up)

In total id say it was about a 15 minute trip. As soon as I park the car back at my shop and turn it off. I go to close my gate and I hear a small pop, and coolant started pouring out. I thought a coolant hose blew but it turns out it was the reservoir. There is a crack running vertically down the side of it.

The good thing is that I already ordered one and itís on itís way. I swear this car hates me, but thatís what happens when you buy a 170k mile ,neglected car.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
maytool330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #2
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Very common failure. What brand replacement did you buy? This is an OEM-or-nothing part. 75K replacement interval recommended, even if the tank isn't leaking.

Adding a lower-pressure radiator cap (1.2 or 1.4 bar) helps the longevity of the cooling system also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ē
ē

Past BMWs:
ē
ē

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE ē '88 JZA70 ē '86 4K quattro ē '85 RX-7 S ē '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
maytool330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Very common failure. What brand replacement did you buy? This is an OEM-or-nothing part. 75K replacement interval recommended, even if the tank isn't leaking.

Adding a lower-pressure radiator cap (1.2 or 1.4 bar) helps the longevity of the cooling system also.

I bought the genuine bmw part from ecstuning.

Thanks for that info on the cap. I didnít know that. Iíll pick one up from the parts store when I change the tank.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2020, 04:48 PM   #4
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
And remember, don't overfill the tank. This is the one expansion tank killer when there is no place for the expanded coolant when the engine is at temperature.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:34 PM   #5
tcphoto

My Ride: E92 335 MT Coupe
I think that happened to me twice. One morning, I was heading out to meet a friend and it popped before I put it in gear. Hang in there, it looks like you've tackled the main issues and it's easy sailing from here.

tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:55 PM   #6
maytool330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
And remember, don't overfill the tank. This is the one expansion tank killer when there is no place for the expanded coolant when the engine is at temperature.

I may have actually overfilled it and caused this.

I replaced my thermostat and housing. Filled up the coolant and my upper hose ended up blowing off bc it wasnít pushed all the way into place.

So I refilled the coolant and it seemed like it was taking way more than I thought it should.

Fill until it comes out of the bleeder screw port right?

Old 02-09-2020, 06:00 PM   #7
maytool330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I think that happened to me twice. One morning, I was heading out to meet a friend and it popped before I put it in gear. Hang in there, it looks like you've tackled the main issues and it's easy sailing from here.

Iíve done a ton of work so far and it still needs a whole lot more. Sometimes I wish I would have bought a car that was in better shape. But I got this one for $800 , so I feel itís worth it.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #8
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytool330ci View Post
I may have actually overfilled it and caused this.

I replaced my thermostat and housing. Filled up the coolant and my upper hose ended up blowing off bc it wasn't pushed all the way into place.

So I refilled the coolant and it seemed like it was taking way more than I thought it should.

Fill until it comes out of the bleeder screw port right?

Once you bleed it as you have done, you need to remove the excess coolant. I use a simple turkey baster. You should have a level probe inside the radiator when you remove the cap. I set mine to the first mark and the level float is just starting to float when cold.

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 02-09-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #9
maytool330ci

Quote:
Once you bleed it as you have done, you need to remove the excess coolant. I use a simple turkey baster. You should have a level probe inside the radiator when you remove the cap. I set mine to the first mark and the level float is just starting to float when cold.

Cool , thanks Iíll keep that in mind when I fill it up.

I gotta refresh the whole cooling system tbh. 170k miles and I have no idea when the water pump was last changed.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:16 PM   #10
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Cool , thanks Iíll keep that in mind when I fill it up.

I gotta refresh the whole cooling system tbh. 170k miles and I have no idea when the water pump was last changed.

At 170K miles, you are on borrowed time if it is all still original. My water pump let go at 150K and I replaced everything, I mean everything, even down to the bolts that hold the fan to the fan clutch (automatic). I spent about $1500 at the dealer but you can get the kits from ECS Tuning or FCP Euro for about $800+. I have 208,000 miles now without a second thought about coolant system failure

No Fear

Old 02-09-2020, 07:10 PM   #11
maytool330ci

Quote:
At 170K miles, you are on borrowed time if it is all still original. My water pump let go at 150K and I replaced everything, I mean everything, even down to the bolts that hold the fan to the fan clutch (automatic). I spent about $1500 at the dealer but you can get the kits from ECS Tuning or FCP Euro for about $800+. I have 208,000 miles now without a second thought about coolant system failure

Yeah judging by the condition of the rest of the car Iíd say everything is WAY past due. The car was a mess. Finally have it running well mechanically, so Iíll have to invest in that whole refresh now before the water pump grenades on me.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #12
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

This is kind of what I got when I did mine but I did replace the fan and fan clutch with bolts as I mentioned earlier. This is from ECS Tuning with all Genuine BMW parts but you can get this with OEM manufacturers like Rein and Febi for about half the cost. I just like Genuine when it lasted 150,000 so I like the reliability of Genuine BMW. Up to you and your budget.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	793263  

No Fear

Old 02-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #13
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
Quote:

This. I bleed then drain, giving it just enough so I know itís off the bottom. I index mine right about where you do. 105k since my last tank change.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:30 PM   #14
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:
Yeah judging by the condition of the rest of the car I'd say everything is WAY past due. The car was a mess. Finally have it running well mechanically, so I'll have to invest in that whole refresh now before the water pump grenades on me.
If you want (or need) to go the OEM route on some or all of the parts, consider using Saleri for the water pump, Wahler or Behr for thermostat, Modine for the expansion tank, CRP Rein for the upper & lower rad hoses, and Nissens for the radiator.

:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer

Last edited by LeverThis; 02-09-2020 at 08:31 PM.
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:30 PM   #15
maytool330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
This. I bleed then drain, giving it just enough so I know itís off the bottom. I index mine right about where you do. 105k since my last tank change.

That was a total newbie move on my part. I didnít remove the excess coolant when I filled up.

I planned on changing everything anyway, but my mistake is making sure I change it a lot sooner now lol

Old 02-10-2020, 01:00 AM   #16
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
I'd do the hoses, thermostat, & water pump while your there. Not completely necessary, but it will make your life easier. Nice style 68s, they are my favorite wheel for the e46

Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:18 PM   #17
maytool330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogthebountyhunter View Post
I'd do the hoses, thermostat, & water pump while your there. Not completely necessary, but it will make your life easier. Nice style 68s, they are my favorite wheel for the e46

I already did the thermostat and housing , now I just have to tackle the rest.

Thanks , they do look pretty good on the car. Iím lowered on H&S race springs. Looks pretty good.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #18
Sapote

My Ride: 2000 323i auto wagon
Quote:
I didnít remove the excess coolant when I filled up.
So you didn't wonder what was the tank floater rod for, and didn't read the warning printed on the tank tap (indicated where the rod ball should be)?

Btw, after replacing the tank and run the engine to operating temperature, squeeze the radiator upper hose to see if it is under high pressure (rock hard) or as expected. Rock hard as about to explode could mean bad head gasket and combustion gas got into coolant.
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #19
maytool330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapote View Post
So you didn't wonder what was the tank floater rod for, and didn't read the warning printed on the tank tap (indicated where the rod ball should be)?

Btw, after replacing the tank and run the engine to operating temperature, squeeze the radiator upper hose to see if it is under high pressure (rock hard) or as expected. Rock hard as about to explode could mean bad head gasket and combustion gas got into coolant.

My first fill up I did it properly. Then I lost my upper hose and lost a bunch of coolant so I had filled it back up real quick. Then didnít touch the car for 2 weeks so I forgot I still needed to remove coolant. I hate not finishing a job completely before stopping bc things like that happen.

Iíll check the upper hose when I replace my tank and stuff. I think it was just my fault for leaving too much coolant in there. That and the tank could possibly have 175k miles on it. Luckily I had it ordered before this even happened.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:55 PM   #20
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
My first fill up I did it properly. Then I lost my upper hose and lost a bunch of coolant so I had filled it back up real quick. Then didnít touch the car for 2 weeks so I forgot I still needed to remove coolant. I hate not finishing a job completely before stopping bc things like that happen.

Iíll check the upper hose when I replace my tank and stuff. I think it was just my fault for leaving too much coolant in there. That and the tank could possibly have 175k miles on it. Luckily I had it ordered before this even happened.

Don't feel bad. I am fairly experienced at working on my BMWs and didn't get quite enough out of my 170,000 mile X5 expansion tank when I did the water pump and cracked it. Maybe God's way of telling me I should have replaced it when I did the water pump.

No Fear