License plate welcome lights - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
Chrisbish2000

License plate welcome lights

Just quickly guys, I've tried searching.

What I'm after is having the license plate lights come on when unlocking the car the same way you can wire angel eyes to do so. Is this possible?

Looking through coding options on PA soft I can't find options for it. Has anybody done this or knows how to? Thanks.
Chrisbish2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #2
darkfires102

My Ride: 325xi, '07 E60 M5
Year: 2003
Transmission: 5spd Manual
My LED license plate bulbs do this- as a side effect of being LEDs. Sylvania 668 LEDs i believe, they dimly light when i unlock the car, and dimly lit when running, and then go full brightness with the headlights on.
darkfires102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
I can't help you but troll and call attention to your post, but I'm curious as to your motivation...and whether your car has all the things it needs to run well and be safe. You'll spend hours on this and unanticipated consequences should always be anticipated. Have fun...it's your car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dmax; 12-08-2019 at 05:41 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2019, 01:43 AM   #4
Chrisbish2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfires102 View Post
My LED license plate bulbs do this- as a side effect of being LEDs. Sylvania 668 LEDs i believe, they dimly light when i unlock the car, and dimly lit when running, and then go full brightness with the headlights on.
Yeah that's not what I'm after. Mine are LED but they don't do this. I've coded the car to not do the bulb check on startup so they don't flicker. Angel eyes wired into the unlock/lock is a nice feature so I'm trying to find out how to get the rear to do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I can't help you but troll and call attention to your post, but I'm curious as to your motivation...and whether your car has all the things it needs to run well and be safe. You'll spend hours on this and unanticipated consequences should always be anticipated. Have fun...it's your car.
Erm whut haha. Dmax are you ok?

I just want the licence plate lights to come on when unlocking the car. Lol. Anybody? Surely this is doable.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:28 AM   #5

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbish2000 View Post
I just want the licence plate lights to come on when unlocking the car. Lol. Anybody? Surely this is doable.
Lots of things are doable. This included I dare say. It's a question of : Why would you? Maybe that's why you're hitting a dead end. Because nobody else would. But when you figure it out you could post your solution here that others might follow in your footsteps.
74123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:34 AM   #6
Chrisbish2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Quote:
Lots of things are doable. This included I dare say. It's a question of : Why would you? Maybe that's why you're hitting a dead end. Because nobody else would. But when you figure it out you could post your solution here that others might follow in your footsteps.
Why would you not? It's a feature that plenty of cars have, Audi's etc. The interior lights and angel eyes come on when unlocked, why not something on the rear also? Welcome lights can be useful when parked at night.

You can leave the side lights on for 20 seconds when leaving the vehicle by pulling the left instrument stick towards yourself. Why not have that feature when entering?

If it can't be coded (which it should be imo) I'm sure it's just a case of wiring them to the interior lights as you do with angle eyes. I wanted to know if anyone had done this before first.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:17 AM   #7

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Why would you not? It's a feature that plenty of cars have, Audi's etc. The interior lights and angel eyes come on when unlocked, why not something on the rear also? Welcome lights can be useful when parked at night.

You can leave the side lights on for 20 seconds when leaving the vehicle by pulling the left instrument stick towards yourself. Why not have that feature when entering?

If it can't be coded (which it should be imo) I'm sure it's just a case of wiring them to the interior lights as you do with angle eyes. I wanted to know if anyone had done this before first.
Whatever floats your boat. As I sit here typing this I really have no idea whether my lights come on or not when I press those buttons on the key fob. If I hear the door unlock or lock I'm good to go. I'll take a look next time I go out.
74123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:25 AM   #8
Chrisbish2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Quote:

Whatever floats your boat. As I sit here typing this I really have no idea whether my lights come on or not when I press those buttons on the key fob. If I hear the door unlock or lock I'm good to go. I'll take a look next time I go out.
Ha, you're easily pleased.

Well your interior lights will come on as standard when unlocking the car but unless you have angel eyes wired into the footwell lights then you won't have that. I'm pretty sure no e46 has plate lights that come on when unlocked but that's why we're here to figure this stuff out and how to make happen.

I guess I was hoping to find someone who had done it before whether it be by coding or wiring it in.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:52 AM   #9
docnabimmer

My Ride: 2004 325XIT
Year: 2004
Model: 325XIT
Transmission: standard
Lol - I would rather have those lights out so my plates can't be seen but I can't without a ticket .But I think I've seen them lit like the rest of the lights with the press on the remote.
Sorry can't help u OP
docnabimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #10
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
Quote:
Yeah that's not what I'm after. Mine are LED but they don't do this. I've coded the car to not do the bulb check on startup so they don't flicker. Angel eyes wired into the unlock/lock is a nice feature so I'm trying to find out how to get the rear to do the same.

Erm whut haha. Dmax are you ok?

I am just a little better than ok--thanks for asking!

Not sure if your corner lights flash in the rear, but mine do. If yours don't, maybe that's a feature you might find?

See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #11
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Ha, you're easily pleased.

Well your interior lights will come on as standard when unlocking the car but unless you have angel eyes wired into the footwell lights then you won't have that. I'm pretty sure no e46 has plate lights that come on when unlocked but that's why we're here to figure this stuff out and how to make happen.

I guess I was hoping to find someone who had done it before whether it be by coding or wiring it in.
ModLight Lite will do welcome lights through kbus messages but I'm not sure they can do license plate lights only. I know they can do reverse lights.

https://modbmw.com/shop/modlight-lite/

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #12
Khanon701

My Ride: 04 325ci
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Quote:

Look, I may be showing my ignorance here, I mean, you seem preeetty sure of yourself, but why would having angel eyes spliced into the circuit for the footwell lights prevent all the interior lights from coming on? As I understood it, the whole point of tapping the footwell lights for angel eyes is so that the angel eyes have the same fade in behavior as the footwell lights, making them fade in with all the other lights when the car's unlocked? And why could you not just do something similar to the angel eyes, and tap power for your license plate lights from somewhere that already has the fade in/out behavior you want? It shouldn't be hard to find a good place. Wiring diagrams are plentiful and multimiters are cheap. go nuts.

Or, since you say the lights are LED, could you work out a way to program the behavior you want into the driver controller maybe? Maybe you could build some kind of arduino thing if it comes down to it? There's an infinite number of increasingly complicated solutions to your simple, relatively inconsequential issue. I'm sure you'll find something that works.
Khanon701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:59 PM   #13
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
you can check the pinout for the LCM and Body module for what delivers current to the interior lights, splice it, and bring the power (in parallel) to the pin of the LCM controlling the license plate lights. That way either power from the stock LCM and power from the interior lights would light up the license plate lights.
|
|

BMWCCA GGC: 530872
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:47 AM   #14
bendoscopy

My Ride: 330Ci M + 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
you can check the pinout for the LCM and Body module for what delivers current to the interior lights, splice it, and bring the power (in parallel) to the pin of the LCM controlling the license plate lights. That way either power from the stock LCM and power from the interior lights would light up the license plate lights.
This guy! Bingo.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport 2001 topasblau/grau 110k miles
BMW E46 320Ci Sport 2002 topasblau/hellbeige 125k miles

|
|
| drive tastefully
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:40 AM   #15
Chrisbish2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post

Yes thatís what Iím after, the main reason for my post was to get advice/guidance from someone who had done it before and the best method of doing so.

The above may be over complicating it though. I think what Iím going to do is just wire power from the rear quarter panel courtesy lights in the coupe into my license plate lights. I think itís as simple as that, that way they can fade in and out on the rear the same way the angel eyes do on the font. The issue is just figuring out the wiring.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:44 AM   #16
Chrisbish2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanon701 View Post
Look, I may be showing my ignorance here, I mean, you seem preeetty sure of yourself, but why would having angel eyes spliced into the circuit for the footwell lights prevent all the interior lights from coming on? As I understood it, the whole point of tapping the footwell lights for angel eyes is so that the angel eyes have the same fade in behavior as the footwell lights, making them fade in with all the other lights when the car's unlocked? And why could you not just do something similar to the angel eyes, and tap power for your license plate lights from somewhere that already has the fade in/out behavior you want? It shouldn't be hard to find a good place. Wiring diagrams are plentiful and multimiters are cheap. go nuts.

Or, since you say the lights are LED, could you work out a way to program the behavior you want into the driver controller maybe? Maybe you could build some kind of arduino thing if it comes down to it? There's an infinite number of increasingly complicated solutions to your simple, relatively inconsequential issue. I'm sure you'll find something that works.
I think you misunderstood. I wasnít saying they wouldnít come on. My goal is to have the angel eyes, interior lights and license plate lights all come on/fade in and out when I unlock/lock the car. We all know how to wire the angel eyes into the footwell but Iím after something similar for the rear plate lights. Thatís all.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:59 AM   #17
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: M52TUB28-Vert
Quote:
I think you misunderstood. I wasnít saying they wouldnít come on. My goal is to have the angel eyes, interior lights and license plate lights all come on/fade in and out when I unlock/lock the car. We all know how to wire the angel eyes into the footwell but Iím after something similar for the rear plate lights. Thatís all.
makes no difference in angel or license plate lights,
the source is the same
fish the 12+ from the reading light on the rear pillar and you're done
TheRiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:37 AM   #18
Chrisbish2000

Yeah that's the plan now. I just have to figure out where the best place to tap into the plate light wiring is. I'm not sure where the wires run after the trunk.

Since the 'elephant trunk' is on the right side then I'm assuming the wires run through the body on that side so hopefully near enough to the courtesy light on that side also. Just need to figure out which wire is which somehow.

Last edited by Chrisbish2000; 12-11-2019 at 05:37 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:00 AM   #19
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: M52TUB28-Vert
Quote:
Yeah that's the plan now. I just have to figure out where the best place to tap into the plate light wiring is. I'm not sure where the wires run after the trunk.

Since the 'elephant trunk' is on the right side then I'm assuming the wires run through the body on that side so hopefully near enough to the courtesy light on that side also. Just need to figure out which wire is which somehow.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ghting/rtMv0FQ
TheRiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:06 AM   #20
Chrisbish2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddle View Post
Quote:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ghting/rtMv0FQ
Thanks. It's more the plate lights wiring Diagram I need though, not the interior as much. I'll have a look.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-light/phnSALT

I hate electrical wiring

Last edited by Chrisbish2000; 12-11-2019 at 06:10 AM.