center console-rubberized trim coat removal - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #1
doukas007

My Ride: e46 320 coupe
Year: 2001
Model: 320ci
Transmission: manual
center console-rubberized trim coat removal

hi ,

I thought I'd refresh my interior a little and get rid of the scratch marks on various trim pieces , like the glass holder , the center console , the rear ash tray cover , the triangular trim on the steering wheel and the door handles .I tried very fine wool wire and though it worked it was completely unproductive , it took me 4 hours just to get the coat off from the center console small tray! and even then I couldn't remove the material from the bottom or the corners .

I tried also alcohol and acetone .acetone did nothing , alcohol seemed to help but only a little .someone on the dealership told me to use spies 7010 silicone remover , I tried that ,still no joy . I know many have done this before with success so does anyone have any advice ?any suitable solvent ? forgot to say that I dont have any power tools at my disposal right now

many thanks
doukas007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
bendoscopy

My Ride: 330Ci M + 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
I threw my trim pieces in a hot bath and used a kinda scotch pad-type thing. Worked a treat. Weird looks from the wife.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport 2001 topasblau/grau 110k miles
BMW E46 320Ci Sport 2002 topasblau/hellbeige 125k miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
| drive tastefully
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #3
doukas007

I guess I will try that and rub them with a harsh sponge .did it easily peel off after that? cause all these solvents barely did anything and now I am high on chemical fumes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
66intheSky
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2000
Model: 328i ZSP
Transmission: Manual
The ammonia in Windex softens it very well. Ask me how I know lol.
66intheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
doukas007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66intheSky View Post
The ammonia in Windex softens it very well. Ask me how I know lol.
hahaha I see I ll try that too
Old 12-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #6
doukas007

well , really hot water didn't do the job ,so I guess I will find a detailer to buff the coating
Old 12-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #7
89325iguy

My Ride: 325i,'89,'03
Transmission: Manual
I used brake parts cleaner and soft metal brush. The cleaner wasn't all that effective at first but with the brush it really helped things to soften up and get off the plastic.

89325iguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #8
doukas007

aaand disaster
I went to a paint shop , described the situation and the very helpful assistant gave me a <> spray . but the spray was actually paint stripper and while it removed completely and easily the rubber paint , it turned my tray and center console chalk white! and with a slightly harsh finish .I managed to sand it down with sandpaper and it smoothened out but the whitish colour remains. glad I didn't try the spray on other pieces too.the pieces are salvagable but they ll have to be repainted but I don't know to proceed next , maybe I go to a body shop and ask to prep the pieces for painting and to completely remove the coat by sanding it (I destroyed only one side of the console)
Old 12-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #9
TobyB

My Ride: 2004xit, 2001ci
Yeah, I have tried various solvents with similar results- either nothing, or it makes a mess.
I have a few junkyard parts that I've ruined...

It occurs to me that I have not tried the over- the- counter Goof- Off, its competitors, or oven cleaner.
I'm not sure that chemistry is going to work, as the 'finish' seems to be tougher than the base plastic.
At least chemically.

t
sticky, and not happy about it.
TobyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
doukas007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB View Post
Yeah, I have tried various solvents with similar results- either nothing, or it makes a mess.
I have a few junkyard parts that I've ruined...

It occurs to me that I have not tried the over- the- counter Goof- Off, its competitors, or oven cleaner.
I'm not sure that chemistry is going to work, as the 'finish' seems to be tougher than the base plastic.
At least chemically.

t
sticky, and not happy about it.
at this point I will never try another solvent , spent enough on things that don't work or destroy things , possibly I will use a polishing drill bit or have someone to do it and then repaint everything
Old 12-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #11
lennard

Quote:
Originally Posted by doukas007 View Post
aaand disaster
I went to a paint shop , described the situation and the very helpful assistant gave me a <> spray . but the spray was actually paint stripper and while it removed completely and easily the rubber paint , it turned my tray and center console chalk white! and with a slightly harsh finish .I managed to sand it down with sandpaper and it smoothened out but the whitish colour remains. glad I didn't try the spray on other pieces too.the pieces are salvagable but they ll have to be repainted but I don't know to proceed next , maybe I go to a body shop and ask to prep the pieces for painting and to completely remove the coat by sanding it (I destroyed only one side of the console)
Yeah, you should never use any kind of paint stripper on painted plastic parts... And the people at the paint shop should have known that, I would go back there and try to at least get them to give you your money back!

As for saving your plastics: Sand them thoroughly, then paint them with a plastic filler primer and then use some spray on foil, that should give you a similar rubber finish to what was on there originally.

edit:
Or buy one of those 30$ center consoles from aliexpress, since we are all curious on how well they are made

Last edited by lennard; 12-10-2019 at 12:09 PM.
lennard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #12
doukas007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennard View Post
Yeah, you should never use any kind of paint stripper on painted plastic parts... And the people at the paint shop should have known that, I would go back there and try to at least get them to give you your money back!

As for saving your plastics: Sand them thoroughly, then paint them with a plastic filler primer and then use some spray on foil, that should give you a similar rubber finish to what was on there originally.

edit:
Or buy one of those 30$ center consoles from aliexpress, since we are all curious on how well they are made
I should probably do that but now I am not in the mood to confront this idiot ,never mind I should have figured myself this was actually a paint stripper but I was impatient

that is what I intend to do , the part is not damaged , just off white , just it's not completely stripped from the original rubber finish and I have some other parts I need to finish too, I am not sure that I want to experiment again and I havent the tools that I need to sand them down ,I ll try to have a paint shop prep them by sanding them or soda blast them and they will hav the responsibility also

actually I have another center console from my previous e46 , I hope the experience from the first attempt will allow me to make it completely right the second time
Old 12-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #13
AusM325I

Hot soapy water and a toothbrush and it pretty much just falls off leaving beautiful clean plastic underneath. Ive done mine and it works perfectly.I then plasti dipped them to give a finish similar to the original.

Last edited by AusM325I; 12-10-2019 at 03:14 PM.
AusM325I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #14
doukas007

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusM325I View Post
Hot soapy water and a toothbrush and it pretty much just falls off leaving beautiful clean plastic underneath. Ive done mine and it works perfectly.I then plasti dipped them to give a finish similar to the original.
I tried how water , didn't do the trick
Old 12-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #15
Newbimer

My Ride: 2005 325i
I removed it all from my center console last year. Soaked it in hot water over night, changed the water a few times when it got too cold, then used a stainless steel pad/pot scrubber to scrub all the paint off. It all came off with no problem.
Newbimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #16
phil_anderer

My Ride: M3
Buy a new one?
phil_anderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #17
doukas007

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_anderer View Post
Buy a new one?
with the same prone to scratches rubber paint ? no thanks
Old 12-10-2019, 08:58 PM   #18
Archbid

My Ride: 330ci Convertible
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Do not use any solvents on these pieces. I usually put them in the dishwasher for the hot wash part of the cycle then pull them out and either use friction from my fingers or a plastic scraper to remove the surface. Hot water, detergent and time are really all you need.

Once all the finish is removed, sand to give it some tooth, spray with adhesion promotor, then re-spray with Colorbond LVP
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:08 AM   #19
doukas007

Update:Took the parts back from media blasting ,they ripped me off ,60€for the center console ,front trays and rear smoking tray ,but whatever .the finish is quite roughened up ,so I think it won't need any sanding before painting .the question is do I paint it myself or pay someone to do it.I am quite keen with my hands but with all this trouble and money I spent for blasting I am little afraid I will mess up

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Last edited by doukas007; 12-13-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:08 AM   #20
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 Track Car
Unfortunately the glue residue is very stubborn. Some are easier to remove than others. Different batches is my guess?

If you're lucky enough to be left with a presentable look, more power to ya'.

For those that aren't you're left with just a few choices:
Plastic paint in a rattle can.
Vinyl Wrap.
Water applied decals.

The last one, most expensive but gives one the chance to express themselves.
Conversely you could suck it up and buy new ones....
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote