oil filter housing gasket? or just a defective oil filter o-ring - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #21
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
why do you say that? the ring was in the groove when i unscrewed the cap
It looked like it was up against the flat surface of the cap that contacts the housing.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #22
wfx32

My Ride: AWD
Model: 330XI 08/2004
Transmission: auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
It looked like it was up against the flat surface of the cap that contacts the housing.
oh i see .. but that's just the camera angle. i had to get the ring out of the groove using an angle pick.
wfx32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:53 PM   #23
shadetreemech

My Ride: 325ci
From the picture in the post it looks like the oring is visible. The plastic cap should be screwed all the way down so the plastic lip on the cap seats against the top of the aluminum housing. If there is any of the oring visible it will leak.

Last edited by shadetreemech; 11-30-2019 at 06:54 PM.
shadetreemech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:02 PM   #24
jmo69

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreemech View Post
From the picture in the post it looks like the oring is visible. The plastic cap should be screwed all the way down so the plastic lip on the cap seats against the top of the aluminum housing. If there is any of the oring visible it will leak.
That's what it looked like to me too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bad outer xi ball joint?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:34 PM   #25
wfx32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfx32 View Post

i thought it was flush. the gasket/ring wasn’t evenly deformed. maybe not lubricated enough so it got twisted.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:13 AM   #26
Sapote

My Ride: 2000 323i auto wagon
The cap was screwed down enough, and if the good o-ring not twisted then this should not leak. It is good to torque the cap properly to avoid loosening, but as long as the o-ring outside diameter is below the filter housing top lip then it shouldn't leak even if there is a gap from cap to housing top.
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #27
wfx32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennard View Post
If you still want to go ahead with the gasket change go and buy the gasket at the dealership... Where I live, they were a bit cheaper than the ones from Ebay.
Also it would be a good idea to also change the gasket between the oilfilter housing and the heatexchanger.

Aaaand if you are already at it, do yourself a favor and change the Vanos seals and the vacuumpump seals as well, they all dont cost much and mine were hard as glass after almost 20 years, so even if they do not leak now, they will probably start soon.
pullingmyleghere? dealer oilfilter housing gasket is the one that repeat fails? and i've heard of the vanos seals (*beisansystems.com) .. but heatexchanger gasket as in the o-ring on the ATF cooler? and the vacuumpump?

Last edited by wfx32; 12-25-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: beisan not beisien
Old 12-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #28
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
pullingmyleghere? dealer oilfilter housing gasket is the one that repeat fails? and i've heard of the vanos seals (beisien) .. but heatexchanger gasket as in the o-ring on the ATF cooler? and the vacuumpump?
lennard must think your M54 is the same as an N54 engine? Newer BMW engines such as N54 have a coolant/oil heat exchanger at the OFH, but M54 does not.

BaliDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #29
bonestockE36

My Ride: 2002 330i auto
Sealing of the cap relies on the o-ring, not torque. Torque only prevents the cap from unscrewing. If the black o-ring in the photo above was the one you pulled from the car, it sure appears to be quite thin on one side, but it could be lighting. O-rings are very simple effective sealing devices. As long as the groove in the cap and sealing surface of housing aren't damaged, any o-ring of proper size will seal for a normal oil change interval. O-ring twist can be trouble but pinch and the usual cut that goes with it is a problem. If you pulled the white one, stretch it and look for damage.

Why did it start leaking now? Hard to say, but lower temperatures play a part. If it was defective or undersize, it may seal just fine in milder conditions. O-rings get hard and shrink in the cold.
bonestockE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:17 PM   #30
lennard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
lennard must think your M54 is the same as an N54 engine? Newer BMW engines such as N54 have a coolant/oil heat exchanger at the OFH, but M54 does not.
Didnt properly read through the thread
N42/46 have a heat exchanger at the OFH that likes to leak...
lennard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #31
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
I got lost. Was this solved yet?
After an oil filter, change, Good reminder to let the engine run before closing the hood, and inspecting for leaks
Old 12-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #32
wfx32

Quote:
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonestockE36 View Post
Sealing of the cap relies on the o-ring, not torque. Torque only prevents the cap from unscrewing. If the black o-ring in the photo above was the one you pulled from the car, it sure appears to be quite thin on one side, but it could be lighting. O-rings are very simple effective sealing devices. As long as the groove in the cap and sealing surface of housing aren't damaged, any o-ring of proper size will seal for a normal oil change interval. O-ring twist can be trouble but pinch and the usual cut that goes with it is a problem. If you pulled the white one, stretch it and look for damage.
yes the black o-ring in the picture above was the one pulled after the leak. not just the lighting, it is not evenly flattened, which is why i think it may have been twisted. so i am going to use the thicker white o-ring in the future. which i think came from this hengst kit. not sure if it is really viton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonestockE36 View Post
Why did it start leaking now? Hard to say, but lower temperatures play a part. If it was defective or undersize, it may seal just fine in milder conditions. O-rings get hard and shrink in the cold.
the car was driven daily since filter change in march, but left standing in a mildly cold garage for three weeks before the leak. i think you are right that the shrinkage may be a contributing factor.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #33

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:

i swear i was planning to do the oil filter housing gasket as pm. i left the car for a couple of weeks and came back to this. i know this is a very common failure, but first time for me so i'd appreciate any advice. i'm hoping there is a bavauto diy blog or youtube video for this repair.
OFHG leak doesn't go anywhere near the upper part of the oil filter housing. You will see it below the joint between the housing and the block. Generally around the back and out of view. All over the engine block. That's the classic sign.
74123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:21 PM   #34
ScooterB

My Ride: 2011 335i Xdrive
Year: 2011
Model: 335i Xdrive
Transmission: Auto
Aftermarket filter o-rings flatten out with age and heat. Only use mann filters now because they’re the only ones that I have not had o-ring problems with.
ScooterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #35
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 Track Car
At one time the Mann Filter # HU 925/4X was my most popular filter. We've changed at least a thousand, if not more.

I've witnessed occasional issues with the above filter predicated upon where it's made. We only buy by the case and it must be German. I've seen Mexico and another (I forget) country. Those others had a rare leak but right at where you found yours. Given we're changing oil/filter for my customers, we choose the one that has zero issues, the above from Germany.

When you open up the box and look at the end of the filter element, the country of origin is on the end of the filter.

BTW, the Mann HU 925/4X is the genuine filter for your car. We've also witnessed where a off brand filter can leak due to cheaper O Ring material and from over torquing of the cap. My best guess is the cheaper O Ring in conjunction with distorting the cap can cause a leak.
The proper torque is only 25Nm. (18.4 Ft. Lb.)
Anytime we perform a job for the first time, we follow the torque spec to the letter. Gives you a sense of just how much or how little is needed.
YMMV...

FYI one of my customers has a 2006 Ford GT. Guess what the filter is? HU 925/4X! First time we serviced it, we bought the filter (in an oversized box BTW) from Ford. Somewhere in the $28 range. I laughed when I opened up the box.
The car was mostly engineered in Europe, I guess they knew a good filter element when they saw one. The housing is largely the same on the side of the engine, albeit much further down.
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:18 AM   #36
wfx32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterB View Post
Aftermarket filter o-rings flatten out with age and heat. Only use mann filters now because they’re the only ones that I have not had o-ring problems with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMCar View Post
At one time the Mann Filter # HU 925/4X was my most popular filter. We've changed at least a thousand, if not more. ... the Mann HU 925/4X is the genuine filter for your car.

i used this filter kit including the black o-ring below from the dealer. never again.

going forward i'm going to use the thicker white o-ring. i'm pretty sure it came from the hengst kit at my local independent.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #37
Sapote

My Ride: 2000 323i auto wagon
I never had a leak thru this cap o-ring even I had reused the same o-ring on multiple oil changes, and the new filters came with new o-ring.

The trick is to lube the o-ring before installing the cap.

Last edited by Sapote; 12-04-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #38
wfx32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapote View Post
The trick is to lube the o-ring before installing the cap.

right .. i did oil it up though. but maybe not enough so it was pinched.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #39
jmo69

Quote:

i used this filter kit including the black o-ring below from the dealer. never again.

going forward i'm going to use the thicker white o-ring. i'm pretty sure it came from the hengst kit at my local independent.
I've been using Mann filters with the black O-ring for a dozen years and never had an issue till I rolled the O-ring up under the sealing surface and it squeezed out of the housing. I've got Hengst filters on the shelf and will be using them on the next change. we'll see if the larger ring makes a difference.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
Old 12-05-2019, 03:09 PM   #40
Archbid

My Ride: 330cic, 325i Touring
Year: 03
Model: 330cic
Transmission: 6-Speed, auto
Folks, this is not that hard. Put a bit of oil on the ring when you install it and you will be golden.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote