Coolant brands? - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 11:09 PM   #21
shadetreemech

My Ride: 325ci
My observation, not just from this forum but from several other sources, is coolant failure is the leading cause of premature engine failure. Your cooling system won't necessarily blow up but the internal corrosion leads to hot spots, warped heads, failed head gaskets, etc. For that reason I do a 'drain and fill' every 2 years on all my cars. With that service interval I'm perfectly happy with the cheap green stuff. Twelve dollars of coolant and distilled water plus 15 minutes of time is cheap insurance. For the manufacturer with their long warranty spending extra on fluid saves them warranty expense on fluid changes. If I was to try and go to a 5 year change interval I would spend more on fluid. But then again the reason I don't do that is I still don't believe the 'lifetime' fill claim. BMW claimed that with ATF years ago and we know how that worked out.

Last edited by shadetreemech; 12-02-2019 at 11:14 PM.
shadetreemech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #22
smolck

My Ride: 2003 330ci (manual)
many articles like this exist. There is a lot of science behind coolants and what is in them. I think one would be remiss to think "just use the cheap stuff, its all the same". The article demonstrates it.

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/tech...eze-chemistry/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #23
docnabimmer

My Ride: 2004 325XIT
Year: 2004
Model: 325XIT
Transmission: standard
dont want to let this coolant thread become an oil thread- we have seen the articles, ive been using prestone long life peak longlife or global or supertech long life on E53 3.0 151K miles ,thermosat(#2) expansion tank(#2) all else original.E46 2.5 162K miles water pump(#2),thermostat(#2) expansion tank(#2)all else original.Im comfortable with the choices ive made and car runs like new.If the above failures are due to my use of "green stuff" I am fine with that...how long have yours lasted with the BMW Blue?
Btw - my acura with 172k miles run on the same coolant choices too after the warranty, on its original cooling system sans water pump change with the timing belt at 100k.
docnabimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #24
Newbimer

My Ride: 2005 325i
Reading the linked article suggests that BMW coolant is better then non OEM. Perhaps the aluminum they use is totally different from the aluminum everyone else uses in their aluminum engines? Somehow I doubt it. The only thing I'm sure of about these cars is the plastic they use in their cooling system is just as bad as all others that use it, so why would their aluminum be any different?
Newbimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #25
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
My 03 must have had Zerex G05 because what I drained out to do my first wp/tstat was clear. I topped that job up with phosphate free Prestone. All jobs since then has been with OE without a complete drain, might be a trace of green in there yet no issues of any kind.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:27 PM   #26
ScooterB

My Ride: 2011 335i Xdrive
Year: 2011
Model: 335i Xdrive
Transmission: Auto
Coolant brands

I ran Prestone in my ZHP for 215,000 miles and my core was clean and clear as when it was new. The important thing is to NEVER USE TAP WATER!
Always used distilled water in everything on your car. From battery to coolant. Tap water will ruin them every time.
ScooterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #27
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
The days of “use BMW blue or your cooling system will explode” mango days are long gone.
Interesting how many responsible green coolant users come out of the woodwork once the Blue BMW Coolant Only Police are gone.

Current:

Past BMWs:

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:18 PM   #28
cvx5832

My Ride: 535i, 325Ci, C300
Lol. I learned a while back that arguing with idiots turns you into one. I’m sure the Lexus forums are loving him.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:35 PM   #29
DönerPorsche

My Ride: 325xi, 323ci, 316i
Model: Sedan
Transmission: Manual/Auto
A lot of this cooling system nonsense can be remedied by not overfilling coolant. The pressure needs somewhere to go. Keep the coolant between the full and low mark on the cooling dipstick and you wont get excess pressure in the cooling system. I really think this is the best preventative maintenance for the money anyone can do.
DönerPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:55 AM   #30
horse

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I am no Mango fan, but I do work on a LOT of BMW’s and my best friend owns a BMW shop, and we both agree we see more failures on green coolant cars than blue.
Correlation vs causation, though. The person who buys OE coolant is more likely to buy OE parts and take care of recommended maintenance. The person who buys green coolant may be buying whatever is cheap at Autozone - and that may be indicative of how they maintain their car regardless of whether the coolant itself is of sufficient quality.
horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:18 AM   #31
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 Track Car
Ho boy, a coolant thread....

I am no Mango fan, but I do work on a LOT of BMW’s and my best friend owns a BMW shop, and we both agree we see more failures on green coolant cars than blue. It’s subjective to some extent, but based on 20 years experience. Now that Advance and Autozone carry the “blue stuff” for reasonable prices, I see no reason NOT to use the blue.

I'd largely agree.
I do have an exception for my personal cars. On anything European I own (Yes my ol BMW K1100RT also) I choose to use the older version of Mercedes Benz coolant. (The clear/manilla colored stuff.) My reason for choosing was based upon decades of servicing German cars and noting pattern failures. MB cars have a much lower frequency of having the coolant turning acidic and eating the plasticizers of the cooling system. The only reason I could come up with (radiators/pumps/plastic hoses are made by the same vendors) was the coolant. I've been a happy camper since.

Caveats: MB coolant does NOT mix with other HOAT coolants. This means a complete flush is in order, to include the heater core. Then fill with a 50/50 mix of coolant & deionized water. Topping off is water only if you don't have more MB coolant on hand.
It's also impractical for 99% of my customers, as if they top off with any green stuff it will coagulate into nasty jelled balls. MB sells a Citric Cleaner for such contamination issues.
I'm also religious about semi-annual coolant changes.
Again the above isn't for most folks, just if you do all of your own maintenance and want that little extra edge, IMO the older MB coolant is the way to go, for my German cars and my older water cooled Beemer.
Cars are Bimers and bikes are Beemers.
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #32
smolck

My Ride: 2003 330ci (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by docnabimmer View Post
dont want to let this coolant thread become an oil thread- we have seen the articles, ive been using prestone long life peak longlife or global or supertech long life on E53 3.0 151K miles ,thermosat(#2) expansion tank(#2) all else original.E46 2.5 162K miles water pump(#2),thermostat(#2) expansion tank(#2)all else original.Im comfortable with the choices ive made and car runs like new.If the above failures are due to my use of "green stuff" I am fine with that...how long have yours lasted with the BMW Blue?
Btw - my acura with 172k miles run on the same coolant choices too after the warranty, on its original cooling system sans water pump change with the timing belt at 100k.
Sounds good to me, I dont care what anyone runs. Just FYI, your sample size of 2 BMW's is much lower than the sample size I am using for my data points. That doesn't make me better than you so don't get all defensive.

But what I want others reading this to think about is what it does mean is when you have a best friend who owns a BMW shop and also work on other peoples cars for extra cash you hang around a lot of BMW mechanics. We talk trends and what works and what doesn't. That knowledge equals many, many years of experience with many, many more cars than just my own. I draw from this experience and knowledge when I answer threads like this so others (not you because you obviously have made up up your mind) can consider all the facts before making an informed decision.

To answer you directly about my own cars, my first e46 leaked coolant, blew tstats, and broke 2 water pumps (ran green coolant cause I didnt know any better). My last 3 e46's have had ZERO failures if any kind. All of them were over 200k miles when I sold them or they were crashed. The systems last 70k miles and then I replace them before they fail. I run blue coolant (not just BMW, Pentefrost and Peakes new blue stuff) and dont see any reason to run green since they prices and availability are now the same for each.

I'm done.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff

Last edited by smolck; 12-04-2019 at 04:50 PM.
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #33
Cheap Trick

My Ride: E46
Year: 2002
Model: 330ci cabriolet
Transmission: auto
A little tip no matter what anti-freeze you use - if you have a dehumidifier that is a great source of distilled water- no charge thank you.
Cheap Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:21 PM   #34
Jagdtiger

My Ride: 05 330CI
Just because someone uses a green antifreeze doesn't mean they buy cheap autozone parts for their car or don't maintain the car at all.As I stated earlier I use Peak and I buy most all of my parts from FCP and the Peak antifreeze has caused no problems whatsoever for me.
Jagdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #35
Jackson42

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by docnabimmer View Post
Hopefully the OP will develop good habits - based on what he is comfortable with and common sense .Now lets go post about what oil brand to put in our cars....
Oh, right, NOW let's start talking about religion!

I've used Pentofrost NF for decades (really!) in all our BMWs - I have no chemical analysis to back up my claim that it seems to be the BMW coolant (blue - made in Germany) without the BMW price tag. I can say that I've never had a problem related to coolant, such as sludge, corrosion, etc. Our E30, for example, has over 510,000 miles on it and its cooling system is still bright and shiny inside.
Jackson42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:10 PM   #36
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdtiger View Post
Just because someone uses a green antifreeze doesn't mean they buy cheap autozone parts for their car or don't maintain the car at all.As I stated earlier I use Peak and I buy most all of my parts from FCP and the Peak antifreeze has caused no problems whatsoever for me.
That’s not what he said. Just that someone who’s okay with going off brand with coolant is more likely to be okay with using store brand parts etc.
TerraPhantm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #37
docnabimmer

@smolck- relax.my statement was more of stating my experience and asking you what yours was that's all .Hope your not upset...I understand all of this is drawn on experience yours and others, but I hope you understand that in MY field , our practice is Based on EVIDENCE BASED medicine not on EXPERIENCE. I wish you understand why I just can't accept what articles and people have to say with out comparative studies on multiple subjects(in this case cars) long term over a period of years with controlled variables.
I do work on my own cars for fun and have less experience than most of you.
I use OEm parts from Bavuto and FCP .
I am running on my (#2) second set of coolant parts when usually after the expansion tank cracks. I don't overhaul the cooling system every 70k miles.
I would also like to point out to the OP that the brands used other than bmw albeit a different color- are amine phosphate silicate and nitrite free...as is the the case with bmw coolant ,mixed strictly with distilled water.This is key- IMHO

Merry Christmas !!Peace!

Last edited by docnabimmer; 12-05-2019 at 12:20 AM. Reason: missing text
Old 12-05-2019, 11:15 AM   #38
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson42 View Post
I've used Pentofrost NF for decades (really!) in all our BMWs - I have no chemical analysis to back up my claim that it seems to be the BMW coolant (blue - made in Germany) without the BMW price tag. I can say that I've never had a problem related to coolant, such as sludge, corrosion, etc. Our E30, for example, has over 510,000 miles on it and its cooling system is still bright and shiny inside.
Pentofrost coolants (and Pentosin lubricants) are top-notch in quality and meet/exceed manufacturer spec. A good choice.

|
|
|
|
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #39
docnabimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I am no Mango fan, but I do work on a LOT of BMW’s and my best friend owns a BMW shop, and we both agree we see more failures on green coolant cars than blue. It’s subjective to some extent, but based on 20 years experience. Now that Advance and Autozone carry the “blue stuff” for reasonable prices, I see no reason NOT to use the blue.

That said, replacing your cooling system PARTS every 70k is the only surefire way I know to almost eliminate cooling system problems.

I had time to see the actual bottles of coolant the stores have , smolck is right , i have to admit it is too confusing what with Prestone and peak changing to "continent " specific packaging, so much easier to use the BMW fluid.
I will finish my last gallon of Peak global and will go back to bmw blue for convenience sake.
companies tend to change formulations and packaging and its hard to keep up.
You never know if its phospate free or not.
Cheers.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:22 PM   #40
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
I should really pick up some coolant for my '18' Golf, VW has a tendency to change formulas and colors occasionally. I have some out in one of my garages that my son left here. From one of his GTIs, might be compatible.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote